Roper

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Hi,
Just latelly my pc keeps crashing whilst in the middle of games. It freezes and just plays the last sound it played over and over, so i have to reset it.
Ive a feeling it may be a heating problem [or rather cooling] so ive noted my average system temps.
SYS - 32c / 91f
CPU - 58c / 136f

Are these ok for my pc, the specs are as follows:-

Athlon Thunderbird 1.4 Processor
ECS k75SA Motherboard
256mb DRR RAM
Geforce 3ti-200
15GB IBM 7200 Hard drive
Soundblaster 512 Soundcard
Windows 2000

Also this has just *seems* to have started happening since i put win2000 on, but i think it may be overheating.
If anyone could give me any suggestions as to wether
my CPU/SYS temps are ok or anything, it be grateful.

also ive been using the 30.82 detonator drivers for a while now and ive never had any problems with them before, so i dont think it is a driver problem, but im not sure, so tis why im posting here :)

dave4900

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Are those idle cpu temps ?, if so then these are quite high. Might be worth taking your cooler off, cleaning your cpu and heatsink and putting some artic silver or thermal paste on. Could be due to dust. Also what did you used to run? if it was 98 then win2k takes a bit more to run so would also account for increased temps.
It definatley sounds like an overheat, it might even be the fan dieing on your cpu cooler.

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I agree with dave... Are the idle temps? If they are Idle.. then yes they are high. If they are under load temps, then not to bad. The 1.4 T-Birds run hot. Take the cover off of you case and play. If you DON'T lock up then you know that it is a heat problem. Do what dave said. If you are running a stock HS, you might want to change. I am a big fan of the Volcano 7+'s. also a 7 or a 9 would work. Oh yes if you do switch (like dave said use artic silver 3 thermal compound www.articsilver.com for directions) I had the same problem with my 1.2 T-Bird untill I changed the HS to a 7+. Good luck. Post your results. Take care.

Hang in there. It can only get better!

Roper

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
Thx for the reply and also to you too Mr. whipper.
Yes they are idle temps as in ive had my pc on for a few hours and then restarted and cheched the temp.
I knew was/is a temp. problem.
i will invest in a better heatsink/fan and im also intrested in getting some round/tube like IDE cables.

IF Dave or mr whipper can point me in the direction of a good online site to buy these things then id be gratefull.
as in what the sort of heatsink/fan i need .
thx in advance.

G

try removing your soundcard, and see if it still locks up. Could be a soundblaster thing as well..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =