Do you use overwhelming encounters?

I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.

I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
13 encounters per level.

I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
I think they should according to the book.

So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
general consumption would you?

- Justisaur.

Werebat wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
> > I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
> >
> > I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> > overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> > 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> > actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> > encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> > really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> > you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> > 13 encounters per level.
> >
> > I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> > generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> > I think they should according to the book.
> >
> > So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> > encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> > general consumption would you?
>
> I use them fairly often (rarely more than +4 though), and often that is
> only on what I might call a "technicality" (LA for an alternate race
> bringing up the EL).

+4 is only a hard encounter, not overwhelming. EL = CR on a single
creature, not EL = ECL.

Obviously you do use higher encounters, but maybe not overwhelming. do
you use the easy encounters with any frequency?

Would you expect to see +5 to +7 encounters in a published dungeon, or
one out of 20 anyway? Basically I'm thinking of making my own version
of the World's Largest Dungeon, only as by the book as possible -
obviously smaller since it'd be by the book. Since the book is
contradictory in this instance (13-14 encounters to level, and the
frequency of different hardness encounters do not mesh) I'm trying to
figure out what should give. I'm leaning toward what should give is
the overwhelming encounters, but I'm worried that might make it too
easy.

- Justisaur

Justisaur wrote:
> I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
>
> I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> encounters per level than they need to level.

Except that you only get the XP if the "challenge has been overcome".
You're almost certainly going to be avoiding or running from the
overwhelming one so, most probably, no XP for it.

I do use overwhelming encounters myself, but only when it would be pure
stupidity on the PCs part that would lead to a fight. e.g. They're
invited to see the local Lord to discuss something. Theoretically they
could try to kill him whilst they're there but it's obviously not
something that they're meant to do and, more importantly, it would be a
stupid thing for their characters to do. Also, if they tried it they
would almost certainly die in the attempt. So there's the overwhelming
encounter over and done with, with no XP for the PCs.

Justisaur wrote:
> I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
>
> I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> 13 encounters per level.
>
> I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> I think they should according to the book.
>
> So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> general consumption would you?

I use them fairly often (rarely more than +4 though), and often that is
only on what I might call a "technicality" (LA for an alternate race
bringing up the EL).

- Ron ^*^

"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message

> So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> encounters, or is it just me?

All the time. My players enjoy the challenge.

> And if you were making a dungeon for
> general consumption would you?

Sure. Make 'em sweat a bit.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Justisaur wrote:
> I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
>
> I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> 13 encounters per level.
>
> I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> I think they should according to the book.
>
> So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> general consumption would you?

Er... if your players are regularly winning overwhelming encounters,
you're doing something weird (probably fudging in their favour).
Nothing wrong with that, per se, just don't be surprised if they level
faster.

Laszlo

Malachias Invictus wrote:
> "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> > encounters, or is it just me?
>
> All the time. My players enjoy the challenge.

How do you let your players know that the encounter
is something beyond their league? Do you always make
sure that they have an out? Do you give hints that
the encounter is probably more than they can handle?

I usually let them figure it out once the fight starts...

Werebat wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Justisaur wrote:
> >
> >>I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
> >>
> >>I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> >>overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> >>10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> >>actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> >>encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> >>really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> >>you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> >>13 encounters per level.
> >>
> >>I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> >>generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> >>I think they should according to the book.
> >>
> >>So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> >>encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> >>general consumption would you?
> >

> > Er... if your players are regularly winning overwhelming encounters,
> > you're doing something weird (probably fudging in their favour).
>
> Or they have twinked-out characters and/or are good strategists.

Well, colour me skeptical. Unless, by "twinked out", you mean wealth
and items far beyond the suggested amount for their level. At
overwhelming (+5 CR) power disparities, good strategies and good
powergaming just aren't enough to cut it, as a rule.

Laszlo

IHateLashknife@hotmail.com wrote:

> I do use overwhelming encounters myself, but only when it would be pure
> stupidity on the PCs part that would lead to a fight. e.g. They're
> invited to see the local Lord to discuss something. Theoretically they
> could try to kill him whilst they're there but it's obviously not
> something that they're meant to do and, more importantly, it would be a
> stupid thing for their characters to do. Also, if they tried it they
> would almost certainly die in the attempt. So there's the overwhelming
> encounter over and done with, with no XP for the PCs.

That doesn't qualify as an encounter.

- Justisaur

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
> > laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> > > Er... if your players are regularly winning overwhelming encounters,
> > > you're doing something weird (probably fudging in their favour).
> >
> > Or they have twinked-out characters and/or are good strategists.
>
> Well, colour me skeptical. Unless, by "twinked out", you mean wealth
> and items far beyond the suggested amount for their level. At
> overwhelming (+5 CR) power disparities, good strategies and good
> powergaming just aren't enough to cut it, as a rule.

I'm with Laszlo here. I use overwhelming encounters, and even if the
PC's win at least one of them looses a level for the raise dead
spell.... So the net EP change can easily be negative.

+5 CR should be able to take the ENTIRE party on, dead fresh, and
win more than half the time. Parties are not always dead fresh
(neither are opponents, but that gives a substantial ad-hoc
adjustment).

The key to these encounters is not to fight. Run, negotiate, get
allies, surrender, do something else, but don't simply stand and
fight.

Most overwhelming foes are smart enough to concentrate on one foe
at a time, and do enough damage to leave that foe dead.

Many have superior mobility and the ability to spot and kill the
wizard first, or area attacks and a real chance of a TPK.

DougL

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
> > I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
> >
> > I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> > overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> > 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> > actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> > encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> > really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> > you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> > 13 encounters per level.
> >
> > I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> > generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> > I think they should according to the book.
> >
> > So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> > encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> > general consumption would you?
>
> Er... if your players are regularly winning overwhelming encounters,
> you're doing something weird (probably fudging in their favour).
> Nothing wrong with that, per se, just don't be surprised if they level
> faster.

Regularly being 1/20th of the time... It's true they don't often win
them immediately, but they've always regrouped and won afterward. If
they happen to be prepared in the first place they will often win the
first time. From my last campaign I remember several overwhelming
encounters. #1 a bebilith at low level, PCs ran, got the nobles to
deal with it. Lost one person from poison after they'd got away. #2
Nightcrawler at about 15th lv. The party didn't loose anyone, but they
had to hole up for a day in a mordinkainen's mansion and regain spells
and work out a strategy as it was sitting there waiting for them the
whole time. #3 going to fight a CR23 dragon, it's rider and his army.
Party was 17th. PCs were attacking the dragon, so were prepared. 2nd
round it's SR was overcome and it rolled a 1 against dominate monster.
There were some other ones as well, some Yuan-Ti, 1st time killed all
of the party except one with a blasphemy. When they came back it was
rather pitiful, they hardly took any damage. There were actually a few
even EL encounters that went like this too.

Obviously I don't fudge.

- Justisaur

DougL wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Werebat wrote:

> > > Or they have twinked-out characters and/or are good strategists.
> >
> > Well, colour me skeptical. Unless, by "twinked out", you mean wealth
> > and items far beyond the suggested amount for their level. At
> > overwhelming (+5 CR) power disparities, good strategies and good
> > powergaming just aren't enough to cut it, as a rule.
>
> I'm with Laszlo here. I use overwhelming encounters, and even if the
> PC's win at least one of them looses a level for the raise dead
> spell.... So the net EP change can easily be negative.
>
> +5 CR should be able to take the ENTIRE party on, dead fresh, and
> win more than half the time. Parties are not always dead fresh
> (neither are opponents, but that gives a substantial ad-hoc
> adjustment).
>
> The key to these encounters is not to fight. Run, negotiate, get
> allies, surrender, do something else, but don't simply stand and
> fight.
>
> Most overwhelming foes are smart enough to concentrate on one foe
> at a time, and do enough damage to leave that foe dead.
>
> Many have superior mobility and the ability to spot and kill the
> wizard first, or area attacks and a real chance of a TPK.

As noted in my 1st reply to Lazlo, they don't usually win the first
time, they usually run, a few die but they regroup and come back loaded
for whatever it is, and ALWAYS win so far (o.k. 1 TPK at about 15th lv
on my first 3.0 game, they did have a way of coming back, but the game
broke up at that point). Probably what is affecting the leveling is
the fact in my last campaign I made the level loss from raising only
temporary. In my current campaign it's temporary with a chance of
becoming permanent. If I went back to normal level loss I'd have some
wildly disparate levels, as so far in my current campaign I've got 1
person who's died 3 times, 1 never, and everyone else somewhere
in-between, and the party is only 6th lv. I don't think the disparity
would make it very fun for those who have died. They haven't been
having much luck this time. My last campain only had 1 death by about
7. As a whole the group would indeed have less xp if the level loss
was enforced, but it doesn't seem a great idea to me.

But from the rest of the replies it sounds like people usually use
overwhelming encounters, but only on things they can avoid (and get no
xp for) or negotiate with (possibly no xp, or very little depending on
interpretation). Or in a couple cases do expect them to fight, but a
good portion of the party to die and thereby loose collectively as much
xp as they gain, which would indeed take care of the extra xp problem I
noticed. Not in a graceful maner, but it does do the trick.

So with that in mind I will put in some overwhelming encounters, but
the majority of which can be avoided or negotiated with. Like maybe
"There's a Balor in the room!" (get the pc's heart racing) "There's a
circle of silver dust on the floor though in which it stands. Don't
sneeze!" That's one that can be easily avoided. Tempting things might
be fun too. Like a flaming sword in a construct's hand, only animates
if someone does something to disturb it, etc. And for the negotiatable
ones, say a giant or somesuch guarding something, usually evil, but
this one's neutral, doesn't really want to kill anyone, doesn't like
it's job, so will allow anyone by with nearly any bluff, forged
documents, distraction (yea! entertainment!) or whatnot. Antoher guard
avoidance idea could be something big guarding one entrance to
somewhere, but there are other entrances which are easier, but more
well hidden. Then lastly I can use an overwhelming encounter for the
big ol boss man.

- Justisaur

tussock wrote:
> In a WLD-like project, I'd just let players move into harder places
> at will. The overwhelming encounters would just happen naturally as they
> run into what should be average-hard encounters at too low level.
> Also, allow the monsters freedom to team up against the new threat
> wherever it's sensable to do so.

This is basically the way the Return to the Temple does it. Do things
right, and it's very survivable. Do things wrong, and you receive a
(hopefully not fatal) lesson in Why Scouting And Divination Magic Can
Be A Good Thing.

Laszlo

tussock wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
>
> > So this means they are really leveling after about 9 encounters
>
> You're supposed to run, or lose.
>

> > So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> > encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> > general consumption would you?
>
> My dungeons tend to have overwelming encounters by default if the
> PCs let on that they're running around.
> The base adventure might be to fight a scout (to gain intel), a
> guard post, an inner patrol (or sneak past it), and the final guard,
> then sneak out the cleared path again; but if one of the final guard
> gets away and rasies the alarm, there's another five patrols and ten
> guardposts start to track them down soon enough. They *will* gang up,
> and I let the dice fall where they may, if the PCs are silly enough to
> get cornered on the way out.

I like the alarm/patrol idea. I wouldn't really call the encounters
ganging up a single normal encounter, but I guess it works out that
way... If you have say 8 standard encounters in an area, and an alarm
gets sounded all of them together is a +6 or overwhelming encounter.
It's still possible they can win, but unlikely, more possible if they
take out any of them before the alarm goes off. I can definitely work
with that.

> In a WLD-like project, I'd just let players move into harder places
> at will. The overwhelming encounters would just happen naturally as they
> run into what should be average-hard encounters at too low level.
> Also, allow the monsters freedom to team up against the new threat
> wherever it's sensable to do so.

I usually do that too, part of why my players get into a bit of trouble
now and again. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's
appropriate in a standard dungeon. It might refreshing though in the
era of video game railroading.

- Justisaur.

Justisaur wrote:
> As noted in my 1st reply to Lazlo, they don't usually win the first
> time, they usually run, a few die but they regroup and come back loaded
> for whatever it is, and ALWAYS win so far (o.k. 1 TPK at about 15th lv
> on my first 3.0 game, they did have a way of coming back, but the game
> broke up at that point). Probably what is affecting the leveling is
> the fact in my last campaign I made the level loss from raising only
> temporary. In my current campaign it's temporary with a chance of
> becoming permanent. If I went back to normal level loss I'd have some
> wildly disparate levels, as so far in my current campaign I've got 1
> person who's died 3 times, 1 never, and everyone else somewhere
> in-between, and the party is only 6th lv. I don't think the disparity
> would make it very fun for those who have died. They haven't been
> having much luck this time. My last campain only had 1 death by about
> 7. As a whole the group would indeed have less xp if the level loss
> was enforced, but it doesn't seem a great idea to me.

Yep, making the level loss temporary is definitely the reason.

I agree that the disparate levels can be a problem. Usually, if a
player has fallen very far behind, I just suggest that he make a new
character 1 level below the party average.

> But from the rest of the replies it sounds like people usually use
> overwhelming encounters, but only on things they can avoid (and get no
> xp for) or negotiate with (possibly no xp, or very little depending on
> interpretation). Or in a couple cases do expect them to fight, but a
> good portion of the party to die and thereby loose collectively as much
> xp as they gain, which would indeed take care of the extra xp problem I
> noticed. Not in a graceful maner, but it does do the trick.

I don't really use overwhelming encounters except as occasional
narrative devices. It's always obvious to my players that they're not
meant to attack.

> So with that in mind I will put in some overwhelming encounters, but
> the majority of which can be avoided or negotiated with. Like maybe
> "There's a Balor in the room!" (get the pc's heart racing) "There's a
> circle of silver dust on the floor though in which it stands. Don't
> sneeze!" That's one that can be easily avoided.

Yep. Got a fun (and IMO very well deserved) TPK from a very similar
situation a few years back.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.games.frp.dnd/msg/12bfd9429d52dd61?hl=en&

> Tempting things might
> be fun too. Like a flaming sword in a construct's hand, only animates
> if someone does something to disturb it, etc. And for the negotiatable
> ones, say a giant or somesuch guarding something, usually evil, but
> this one's neutral, doesn't really want to kill anyone, doesn't like
> it's job, so will allow anyone by with nearly any bluff, forged
> documents, distraction (yea! entertainment!) or whatnot. Antoher guard
> avoidance idea could be something big guarding one entrance to
> somewhere, but there are other entrances which are easier, but more
> well hidden. Then lastly I can use an overwhelming encounter for the
> big ol boss man.

My big old boss men tend to be about CR +2 or CR +3. Anything beyond
that carries a very, very real danger of TPK.

Laszlo

Justisaur wrote:
> tussock wrote:

> > In a WLD-like project, I'd just let players move into harder places
> > at will. The overwhelming encounters would just happen naturally as they
> > run into what should be average-hard encounters at too low level.
> > Also, allow the monsters freedom to team up against the new threat
> > wherever it's sensable to do so.
> >

> I usually do that too, part of why my players get into a bit of trouble
> now and again. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's
> appropriate in a standard dungeon. It might refreshing though in the
> era of video game railroading.

How else do you apply time presure? Not every opponent can be in the
middle of a world destroying/changing ritual at the stage where the
PC's have to attack RIGHT NOW to have any chance to stop it. In fact
more than one of those per campaign pretty well snaps my WSoD.

And if the PC's can teleport home and recover after every fight there
is no real challenge to anything less than CR+4. So you absolutely
need time presure for the basically attritional/reasource and time
limited model of D&D adventuring/combat to work.

The Monsters REACT, either by ganging up, improving defenses, or
leaving with the loot is the obvious tool for applying time presure.
It's what should happen in the game world and it is the only good
reason long term for the time presure you need for a decent D&D
style adventure.

DougL

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
>
>>I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
>>
>>I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
>>overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
>>10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
>>actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
>>encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
>>really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
>>you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
>>13 encounters per level.
>>
>>I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
>>generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
>>I think they should according to the book.
>>
>>So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
>>encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
>>general consumption would you?
>

> Er... if your players are regularly winning overwhelming encounters,
> you're doing something weird (probably fudging in their favour).

Or they have twinked-out characters and/or are good strategists.

- Ron ^*^

On 4 Aug 2005 15:52:07 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> carved
upon a tablet of ether:

> I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
>
> I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> 13 encounters per level.

The DMG, IIRC, says that 13-14 standard encounters results in a level.
It does not claim that the characters should level after 13
encounters.

> I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> I think they should according to the book.
>
> So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> general consumption would you?

I do. They make the PC's lives interesting.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."

Justisaur wrote:
> [...]
> "There's a Balor in the room!" (get the pc's heart racing) "There's a
> circle of silver dust on the floor though in which it stands. Don't
> sneeze!" That's one that can be easily avoided. Tempting things might
> be fun too. Like a flaming sword in a construct's hand, only animates
> if someone does something to disturb it, etc. And for the negotiatable
> ones, say a giant or somesuch guarding something, usually evil, but
> this one's neutral, doesn't really want to kill anyone, doesn't like
> it's job, so will allow anyone by with nearly any bluff, forged
> documents, distraction (yea! entertainment!) or whatnot. Antoher guard
> avoidance idea could be something big guarding one entrance to
> somewhere, but there are other entrances which are easier, but more
> well hidden. Then lastly I can use an overwhelming encounter for the

I find that sometimes normal encounters can become overwhelming as a
result of PC actions. For example, they invade the bugbear caverns, and
kill two groups of bugbears before deciding to call it quits and return
to the surface to rest. Two of the bugbear leaders are rangers with
humans as a species enemy. The put together a bugbear posse of half the
warriors from the caves, suit up, and track the PCs back to their camp
to attack them while they sleep.

In these cases I try to think of logical reasons why the Bugbears (for
example) wouldn't put together an overwhelming encounter -- I don't
think I've ever gone beyond +5 CR. Say, they leave half of the warriors
behind on the off chance that this is a trick designed to lure them out
of their lair so the enemy can slip in and wipe out the defenseless
young and take their loot.

Most of the overwhelming encounters I set up aren't intended as such,
they just logically flow from PC actions (another good one is raising a
ruckus with sonic spells and getting the attention of nearby beasties).

- Ron ^*^

Keith Davies wrote:
> DougL <lampert.doug@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Justisaur wrote:

> >> I usually do that too, part of why my players get into a bit of trouble
> >> now and again. It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure it's
> >> appropriate in a standard dungeon. It might refreshing though in the
> >> era of video game railroading.
> >
> > How else do you apply time presure? Not every opponent can be in the
> > middle of a world destroying/changing ritual at the stage where the
> > PC's have to attack RIGHT NOW to have any chance to stop it. In fact
> > more than one of those per campaign pretty well snaps my WSoD.
>
> Depends on the setting. It may be quite appropriate that the PCs only
> learn about what happens 'just in time'. It may be that the setting is
> 'dramatically influenced' -- in Faerie it may be that you only *ever*
> get there in the nick of time, in Hollywood you never get to nip it in
> the bud... because they make 'better stories'. If you're playing in
> such settings, it makes *sense* that you get there at the last moment.

It's NOT just in time that wrecks WSoD, it's multiple threats to
the very nature of reality that are defeated only by the actions
of the PCs that wrecks WSoD.

If reality is all that fragile and no one else is defending it
then it already doesn't exist.

Worse the multiple threats MUST come in the correct order for
this to work, if the one that can ONLY be dealt with by the
level 17+ party hits PRIOR to the one that needs a PC party
of at least level 14+ then the whole world is SOL since the
party always meets rougly appropriate threats and always
increases in power they can't possibly face the needs a level
17 threat FOLLOWED by the needs a level 14 party threat.

For that matter once you have defeated a reality threatening
assuming you advance a few levels in dealing with the NEXT
threat then that means that you are now (after two) fighting
foes whose MINOR HENCHMEN are able to destroy reality if not
actively stopped....

It just doesn't work, one world destroying threat per campaign
please.

DougL

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 00:36:01 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
<capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
>> encounters, or is it just me?
>
>All the time. My players enjoy the challenge.
>
>> And if you were making a dungeon for
>> general consumption would you?
>
>Sure. Make 'em sweat a bit.

Our new DM is willing and able to use overwhelming or near-whelming
encounters and I, for one, find it refreshing. We have had four
encounters like this so far.

1) NPC bandits, three or four times our numbers with several having
higher levels than the party. With some incredible fat out of the fire
rolling and excellent tactics we won with only one dead character.

2) 12 Vrocks and an NPC on a nightmare. Our party was 4th level. We
ran away until we fell down a hole. They weren't all that interested
in us anyway or we'd be TPK. Obviously this was a story line encounter
to get us in the hole (underdark entrance).

3) Same party same levels. Ambushed by over a dozen drow with sleep
darts. We were completely stripped and beaten. Ransomed by a were-bat
(yes, Ron, shouts out to the were-bats).

4) Same party, 5th level now, but with no magic, alchemy, masterwork
weapons, poor armor, and badly weakened from encounters. We meet a
bunch of bugbears. Run, baby, run.

This kind of play makes a rogue more valuable than just a trap finder
and a back stabber. Having a scout, gathering information and using
divination becomes important. If the party neglects to talk to locals
and find out that Zzzyyxxxkkklllmmuuppptzzzzzz the Blue Dragon
controls the hills to the north, they should have a nasty surprise
when travelling north!
Loup Garou
--

grrr-arghhh...

Loup-Garou wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 00:36:01 -0700, "Malachias Invictus"
> <capt_malachias@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
>>>encounters, or is it just me?
>>
>>All the time. My players enjoy the challenge.
>>

>>>And if you were making a dungeon for
>>>general consumption would you?
>>
>>Sure. Make 'em sweat a bit.
>

> Our new DM is willing and able to use overwhelming or near-whelming
> encounters and I, for one, find it refreshing. We have had four
> encounters like this so far.
>
> 1) NPC bandits, three or four times our numbers with several having
> higher levels than the party. With some incredible fat out of the fire
> rolling and excellent tactics we won with only one dead character.
>
> 2) 12 Vrocks and an NPC on a nightmare. Our party was 4th level. We
> ran away until we fell down a hole. They weren't all that interested
> in us anyway or we'd be TPK. Obviously this was a story line encounter
> to get us in the hole (underdark entrance).
>
> 3) Same party same levels. Ambushed by over a dozen drow with sleep
> darts. We were completely stripped and beaten. Ransomed by a were-bat
> (yes, Ron, shouts out to the were-bats).

Don't tell MSB! He thinks they're all EEEEEEVIL!

Oddly enough one of my old 2E campaigns featured the PCs getting
captured by werebats (it wasn't my intention that this would happen). I
posted the player handout from the night after right on this board --
google for "werebat shadowkin" and you'll find it.

- Ron ^*^

"decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Malachias Invictus wrote:
>> "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
>> > encounters, or is it just me?
>>
>> All the time. My players enjoy the challenge.
>
> How do you let your players know that the encounter
> is something beyond their league?

That is what skills are for. My players tend to invest in Knowledge skills,
and I make it worth their while.

> Do you always make sure that they have an out?

No. I *do* make sure that they have the ability to create an out, to avoid
the encounter, or to defeat it, though.

> Do you give hints that the encounter is probably more than they can
> handle?

Usually the encounter does that.

> I usually let them figure it out once the fight starts...

Sometimes, that is what happens. Sometimes, characters die (from hubris or
poor planning/implementation, usually). Interestingly, there is a pattern
of character casualties; certain players' characters die far more often than
others'.

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was playing around with making dungeons & encounters by the book.
>
> I found that if you actually use encounters as the DMG suggests:
> overwhelming encounters (+5 to +7 EL) 1/20, Hard (+1 to +4) 3/20, Even
> 10/20, and Easy (-1 to -7) 6/10 like the DMG suggests, your pcs
> actually get about half again more experience over the standard 13-14
> encounters per level than they need to level. So this means they are
> really leveling after about 9 encounters on average. Interestingly if
> you just drop the overwhelming encounters off that, you are up to about
> 13 encounters per level.
>
> I have actually been using by the book in my random encounter
> generator, this probably explains why my group levels much faster than
> I think they should according to the book.
>
> So the final question is does anyone actually use overwhelming
> encounters, or is it just me? And if you were making a dungeon for
> general consumption would you?

Certainly. Knowing when to run is an important skill.

Bradd pointed something out a while ago, though -- if you run into too
many powerful encounters, you advance faster than your gear because you
gain more XP per encounter but the same treasure. This puts you at a
disadvantage.

So, I do use big encounters, and not necessarily as set piece battles
(i.e. not just the boss), and I'll set out some disturbingly powerful
ones (that are best avoided or run from). However, I expect my players
to realize that they won't be able to defeat everything they encounter,
and I tend to keep *most* encounters at more or less expected levels. I
find that if I don't the PCs lag in expected gear (making succeeding
fights even *harder*) and I end up making corrections later (unusually
good rewards, etc.) to bring them back in line.

In short, yes I use big encounters, but the game does tend to work
better if the common encounters are 'level appropriate'.

Keith

> Probably what is affecting the leveling is
> the fact in my last campaign I made the level loss from raising only
> temporary. In my current campaign it's temporary with a chance of
> becoming permanent. If I went back to normal level loss I'd have some
> wildly disparate levels, as so far in my current campaign I've got 1
> person who's died 3 times, 1 never, and everyone else somewhere
> in-between, and the party is only 6th lv. I don't think the disparity
> would make it very fun for those who have died.

With the way experience works in 3.5E, the people who have lost levels catch
up fast enough, in my experience. Then again, I do not allow Raise Dead
(only Resurrection, and I demand special components).