Mornington Crescent for foreigners

Archived from groups: uk.games.mornington-crescent (More info?)

As the game is replete with Anglo-Saxon linguistic plays and cultural
references, it seems extremely difficult to play for anyone who is not a
native English speaker. Has anyone from a non-English-speaking country
achieved a rank of Grand Master? I seem to remember one Mr. Auguste Dupin,
many years ago, but the references to his style of play and the
tournaments he took part in are somewhat obscure

Eugenio

--
Great Lover, n.:
A man who can breathe through his ears.

Eugenio Mastroviti <eugeniom@gointernet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.11.08.10.45.19.979243@gointernet.co.uk>...
> As the game is replete with Anglo-Saxon linguistic plays and cultural
> references, it seems extremely difficult to play for anyone who is not a
> native English speaker. Has anyone from a non-English-speaking country
> achieved a rank of Grand Master? I seem to remember one Mr. Auguste Dupin,
> many years ago, but the references to his style of play and the
> tournaments he took part in are somewhat obscure
>
> Eugenio

Ah yes, he was given a Knighthood although his arch rival EA Poe said
it was to do with covering up a grisly murder, complete nonsense of
course...

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 07:45:22 -0800, Stephen Allcroft wrote:

> Ah yes, he was given a Knighthood although his arch rival EA Poe said
> it was to do with covering up a grisly murder, complete nonsense of
> course...

Was that the one where a relative of Queen Victoria was said to
have been mistaken for a large ape?

--
Q: How do you play religious roulette?
A: You stand around in a circle and blaspheme and see who gets struck

Archived from groups: uk.games.mornington-crescent (More info?)

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 10:45:21 +0000, Eugenio Mastroviti
<eugeniom@gointernet.co.uk> wrote:

> Has anyone from a non-English-speaking country
>achieved a rank of Grand Master? I seem to remember one Mr. Auguste Dupin,
>many years ago, but the references to his style of play and the
>tournaments he took part in are somewhat obscure.

Conversely, I have just been awarded the rank of "principiante" in
the Spanish version (Ferrandet).

--
Bill Hayles
billnot@billnot.com