David

Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since I
just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my Dimension
8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive. Since
I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did read a post
about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be moved to
it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by restoring
WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try this unless
I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone in this
newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to know exactly
how I should go about the partition change. That is what I should move to
its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about the long post.
Thanks for any advice.
david

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since I
> just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
> with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my Dimension
> 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
> Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did read
> a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be
> moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
> restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try
> this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone
> in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
> know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
> should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about
> the long post.
> Thanks for any advice.
> david

I suggest you search this and all other comping sites on the dangers of
Partition Magic in the wrong hands..........it can be lethal.

david,
I have used Partition Magic on my USB external drive. Piece of cake,
never lost any data that was on the drive. I also use their Drive Image7
software for backup.
Paul

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since I
> just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
> with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my Dimension
> 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
> Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did read
> a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be
> moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
> restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try
> this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone
> in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
> know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
> should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about
> the long post.
> Thanks for any advice.
> david

Does PM create any special structures?
In particular, AFTER PM is done, is there ANY Difference between what you
get with PM or what you get by using fdisk/format?

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> david,
> I have used Partition Magic on my USB external drive. Piece of cake,
> never lost any data that was on the drive. I also use their Drive Image7
> software for backup.
> Paul
>
> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since
> > just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
> > with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my
Dimension
> > 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
> > Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did
read
> > a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be
> > moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
> > restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to
try
> > this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though
someone
> > in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
> > know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
> > should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about
> > the long post.
> > Thanks for any advice.
> > david

Howard,
I believe that if you use fdisk you loose all your data, you're
basically starting over. Partition Magic retains the data, like magic. :)
Paul

"Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> Does PM create any special structures?
> In particular, AFTER PM is done, is there ANY Difference between what you
> get with PM or what you get by using fdisk/format?
>
> --
> http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> david,
>> I have used Partition Magic on my USB external drive. Piece of cake,
>> never lost any data that was on the drive. I also use their Drive Image7
>> software for backup.
>> Paul
>>
>> "david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but
>> > since
>> > just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other
>> > questions
>> > with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my
> Dimension
>> > 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
>> > Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did
> read
>> > a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should
>> > be
>> > moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
>> > restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to
> try
>> > this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though
> someone
>> > in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
>> > know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what
>> > should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry
>> > about
>> > the long post.
>> > Thanks for any advice.
>> > david

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in

> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but
> since I just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other
> questions with very good results, thought I would try here. I have
> had my Dimension 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to
> Partition the hard drive. Since I have been reading the newsgroup for
> over three months, I did read a post about using a partition, and how
> some files or programs should be moved to it own drive. I know that I
> can partition the hard drive by restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice
> at computing and didn't want to try this unless I had to. I bought
> PartitionMagic on sale and though someone in this newsgroup might have
> used this program. If so I would like to know exactly how I should go
> about the partition change. That is what I should move to its own
> partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about the long post.
> Thanks for any advice. david

I'm a great fan of Partition Magic, and have used it on multiple machines
with never having any problem. Of course, if having very valuable data
to protect, you should definitely have it backed up as a precaution.

You should also make sure you have a version of PM compatible with your
OS. I upgraded to version 8.0 for WinXP use.

As to what partitions you want, that is really up to you. I use to have
multiple partitions for multi-booting (WinME, WinXP, Linux), but
currently on my personal machines have a primary partition for WinXP and
application installations; and a logical partition for backup
installation files, data, and drive images of C:.

--
Tom McCune

david wrote:
>> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but
>> since I just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of
>> other questions with very good results, thought I would try here. I
>> have had my Dimension 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to
>> Partition the hard drive. Since I have been reading the newsgroup
>> for over three months, I did read a post about using a partition,
>> and how some files or programs should be moved to it own drive. I
>> know that I can partition the hard drive by restoring WindowsXP but
>> I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try this unless I had
>> to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone in this
>> newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to know
>> exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
>> should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry
>> about the long post. Thanks for any advice.
>> david

I wouldn't have too much concern over using PM. I have used it for years
without a problem. If you have Windows XP make sure you have PM version 8.0
and any patches. The program is pretty intuitive to understand but if your
first time, read the directions beforehand. Understand what you are doing
and double check before saying yes.

With a Dell box you will see a diagnostic partition and normally one large
C: partition. The first thing you do is resize the C: partition. Don't go
too small; allow for expansion for the operating system files. If you don't
already have NTFS this is the time to convert. Next, you create an extended
partition from the unused space. Afterwards you create the partitions you
want. Normally, you would create no more then two partitions: D: and E:
Here is where you will get many opinions but consider one for new
applications and one for data. you might want to move your swap file and/or
internet cache files onto one or both of the new partitions. YMMV

You may want to consider changing your CD or DVD drive leters to X,Y, or Z
to avoid ever needing to change them again. Any program or application
installed before the partitions or future additional drives will look for
the CD to read or write to one of those drives.

Backup any data files/documents as a precaution. The very worst that could
happen is having to reinstall from the Dell recovery CD and any programs you
have added in eight weeks. There is such a slim chance of needing to do
this that I would not be worried.

As always, never take a chance with data and programs you can't restore.
That said, PM is a best of-a-kind application in spite of the critics.

I'll put in a plug for SpinRite available from www.GRC.com Take a look....
it is another great application. NO, I do not profit from GRC but have
found the program to be very useful.

Kevin

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since I
> just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
> with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my Dimension
> 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
> Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did read
> a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be
> moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
> restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try
> this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone
> in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
> know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
> should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about
> the long post.
> Thanks for any advice.
> david

Whenever I get a new computer the first thing I do is wipe the hard drive
and start again...............what's wrong with using the Windows XP
installation routine to set your partitions up as you'd like them?

No need to spend any extra pennies on third party software.

> Tje question was simple: What is the largest size drive that can be
> handled by PM?
> I asked because I found a statement at Symantec's web site indicating
> that 80GB was the max.

The PM 8.0 manual states that it "enables management of partitions up to
160 GB, containing up to 145 GB of data." I believe the next PM version
supported even larger drives.

--
Tom McCune

David

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> to avoid ever needing to change them again. Any program or application
> installed before the partitions or future additional drives will look for
> the CD to read or write to one of those drives.
>
> Backup any data files/documents as a precaution. The very worst that
> could
> happen is having to reinstall from the Dell recovery CD and any programs
> you
> have added in eight weeks. There is such a slim chance of needing to do
> this that I would not be worried.
>
> As always, never take a chance with data and programs you can't restore.
> That said, PM is a best of-a-kind application in spite of the critics.
>
> I'll put in a plug for SpinRite available from www.GRC.com Take a
> look....
> it is another great application. NO, I do not profit from GRC but have

Thank you Kevin for you helpful reply on how to use PM. I do have WindowsXP
on my computer and bought PM vision 8.0. I do see the "C" partition but not
the
diagnostic partition it must be hidden. Will I have a problem with this
when I use PM?

I I have a 250GB hard drive, is that
to big for PM? As far as I know I do have NTFS. I'm not sure what you meant
by an extended partition from the unused space? And yes I was thinking
about creating two partitions one for the swap file and internet cache file
and one for new application or data..Will PM show me how to do this when I
install it?
When you said not to go too small about what size? I will have to change my
CD & DVD drives from "D" "E" to Y & Z should I do this before the
installation?
Sorry for all the questions but like I said I am a novice and don't want to
mess the installation up. Also I wasn't sure what YMMV meant. I am a senior
citizen and not two up on abbreviations.
Thank you again for the appreciated help.
david

I'm

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since I
> just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
> with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my Dimension
> 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
> Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did read
> a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be
> moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
> restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try
> this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone
> in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
> know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
> should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about
> the long post.
> Thanks for any advice.
> david

we await the HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPP :)

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com

david wrote:

> Thank you Kevin for you helpful reply on how to use PM. I do have WindowsXP
> on my computer and bought PM vision 8.0. I do see the "C" partition but not
> the
> diagnostic partition it must be hidden. Will I have a problem with this
> when I use PM?
>
> I I have a 250GB hard drive, is that
> to big for PM? As far as I know I do have NTFS. I'm not sure what you meant
> by an extended partition from the unused space? And yes I was thinking
> about creating two partitions one for the swap file and internet cache file
> and one for new application or data..Will PM show me how to do this when I
> install it?
> When you said not to go too small about what size? I will have to change my
> CD & DVD drives from "D" "E" to Y & Z should I do this before the
> installation?
> Sorry for all the questions but like I said I am a novice and don't want to
> mess the installation up. Also I wasn't sure what YMMV meant. I am a senior
> citizen and not two up on abbreviations.

250G is too big for PM. And PM not seeing the hidden partition is
supposed to be the cause of PM messing(?) the hard disk, IIRC.

If you are determined <g> to partition the hard disk, get Acronis Disk
Director Suite which includes Acronis Partition Expert. It handles the
250G disk and sees the hidden partitions. You can create a partition
using the free space of existing partition (C:) and assigns a drive
letter after CD/DVD drive(s).

(Create a partition only big enough that C: partition is just under 32G
total by *clicking* the down arrow in the size input box. The next
window will show what the sizes of partitions are. You can hit the back
button and modify the size if C: partition is not just under 32G.)

(Also note that the hidden partition at the end will be moved to between
C: and the new partitions.)

(Also don't install OS Selector. You can install it later if need be.)

See Product tour:
http://www.acronis.com/products/partitionexpert/
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/diskdirector/

David

"david" <chevie40@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the right newsgroup to post this question, but since I
> just bought my Dell computer and have posted a couple of other questions
> with very good results, thought I would try here. I have had my Dimension
> 8400 for about eight weeks and would like to Partition the hard drive.
> Since I have been reading the newsgroup for over three months, I did read
> a post about using a partition, and how some files or programs should be
> moved to it own drive. I know that I can partition the hard drive by
> restoring WindowsXP but I am a novice at computing and didn't want to try
> this unless I had to. I bought PartitionMagic on sale and though someone
> in this newsgroup might have used this program. If so I would like to
> know exactly how I should go about the partition change. That is what I
> should move to its own partition and how I should do this.. Sorry about
> the long post.
> Thanks for any advice.
> david
Thanks to all of the people that responded to my post.
david

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in
>
> > Tje question was simple: What is the largest size drive that can be
> > handled by PM?
> > I asked because I found a statement at Symantec's web site indicating
> > that 80GB was the max.
>
> The PM 8.0 manual states that it "enables management of partitions up to
> 160 GB, containing up to 145 GB of data." I believe the next PM version
> supported even larger drives.

THe techie told me that it can do up to 90% of a drive, so 145 is consistent
with that on a 160 drive.

> Howard,
> I believe that if you use fdisk you loose all your data, you're
> basically starting over. Partition Magic retains the data, like magic. :)
> Paul

Lemmee clarify.

> > Does PM create any special structures?
> > In particular, AFTER PM is done, is there ANY Difference between what
you
> > get with PM or what you get by using fdisk/format?

With a restore after the fdisk/format.

The following are snippets I posted in a thread in another forum.
Multiple partitions necessary to have multiboot systems.
Multiple partitions allow better file management by being able to isolate
non-OS files from the rest and backing up each drive separately.
Facilitates backing up files.

And, on a multiboot system one can put shared stuff in a separate drive,
e.g.

08/23/2003 17:23 <DIR> Cookies
08/23/2003 05:20 <DIR> ..
08/23/2003 05:23 <DIR> Application Data
08/23/2003 08:21 <DIR> HK Outlook Express Identity
08/23/2003 13:57 <DIR> Local Settings
08/23/2003 17:22 <DIR> Favorites
08/23/2003 05:20 <DIR> .
08/24/2003 14:03 <DIR> OEBackup Output
08/29/2003 16:22 <DIR> EudoraMailboxes
11/19/2004 16:26 <DIR> Recent
09/11/2003 18:26 <DIR> My Documents

The above are on a separate drive and shared by all the OS on one PC.

It's just a matter of adjusting one's habits.

Use whatever works best for you.

The need for multiple OS is caused by the way most apps are implemented.
In particular, two versions of MSFT Office cannot FULLY co-exist in a single
OS.
Since I write code in all versions of Office, I have to keep them separate.

Ditto for certain CD/DVD recording software, e.g., InCD and Drag-to-Disk
cannot co-exist and it is often ne cessary to have both available.

Without partitioning a drive, there is no way to do this, so I still say
that one should NEVER have just one partition.

Howard,
If you want to start from scratch that should work.

smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote in news:41A719B1.43DADA7B@mindspring.com:

> 250G is too big for PM. And PM not seeing the hidden partition is
> supposed to be the cause of PM messing(?) the hard disk, IIRC.
<snip>

Although I reported the drive limitation from my PM 8.0 documenation
earlier, that was from PowerQuest. The current owner (Symantec) reports
"Supports operations on partition sizes as large as 300 GB when partition
is less than 90% full. Larger hard drives may require additional memory."
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/features.html

It is also apparently needed to note that repartitioning your hard disk
does not require you to delete Dell's "hidden" partition. My laptop still
has the Dell Utility partition despite my having used Partition Magic to
repartition the hard disk.

--
Tom McCune

Uncle!

I violated my religion and purchased Partition Magic today.
I feel so ashamed!

--
> Howard,
> If you want to start from scratch that should work.
> Paul
>
> "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote in message
> > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> >> Howard,
> >> I believe that if you use fdisk you loose all your data, you're
> >> basically starting over. Partition Magic retains the data, like magic.
> >> :)
> >> Paul
> >
> > Lemmee clarify.

> > you
> >
> > With a restore after the fdisk/format.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Howard Kaikow wrote:
> Uncle!
>
> I violated my religion and purchased Partition Magic today.
> I feel so ashamed!

Look on the bright side - you helped prop up the US economy.

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Tom McCune wrote:

> smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote in news:41A719B1.43DADA7B@mindspring.com:
>

>>250G is too big for PM. And PM not seeing the hidden partition is
>>supposed to be the cause of PM messing(?) the hard disk, IIRC.
>
> <snip>
>
> Although I reported the drive limitation from my PM 8.0 documenation
> earlier, that was from PowerQuest. The current owner (Symantec) reports
> "Supports operations on partition sizes as large as 300 GB when partition
> is less than 90% full. Larger hard drives may require additional memory."
> http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/features.html
>
> It is also apparently needed to note that repartitioning your hard disk
> does not require you to delete Dell's "hidden" partition. My laptop still
> has the Dell Utility partition despite my having used Partition Magic to
> repartition the hard disk.

FWIW I have several 200-250 GB partitions.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Howard Kaikow wrote:
> > Uncle!
> >
> > I violated my religion and purchased Partition Magic today.
> > I feel so ashamed!
>
> Look on the bright side - you helped prop up the US economy.

The real killer was the one cent that CompUSA charged me for shipping.
That really hurt!

In case anyone's interested, special ends today ay CompUSA.
PM for $9.99 AFTER rebates.
I could not resist the price.

Joan Hansen wrote:

> You have been slamming him for years.

Just yesterday:

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB) spewed (11/26/04):

> fixed-length packets (the least reliable and
> most fragile format for writing to CD)

Why the most fragile and least reliable format?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/30/01

> > > the directory information
> > > for fixed-length packets is held in RAM.

the information cannot be written back every time or
the directory area would be worn out very quickly.
======================

That's the reason the directory information is held in RAM -- to extend
the life of cd-rw media. But then that exposes the saved data
susceptible to these:

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 3/27/02

the directory information is not written
until the disc is ejected.

Therefore, a power transient, crash of Windows or
forced eject can trash the disc.
======================

And that's the reason why the format is the most fragile and least
reliable format! Roxio considers extending the life of cd-rw media more
important than the data it is saving!

Just what is the worth of cd-rw media whose life is extended -- at the
expense of the data it is saving? It's not even worth salvaging!

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 11/27/02

> I have a couple of cdrw that don't work anymore.
> You would think that you could at least
> erase the cdrw and start again, right?

Even if you could erase it:

1. Why bother, given the cost of replacement?
=====================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------

Joan Hansen wrote:

> You have been slamming him for years.

You know what TOC is, don't you?

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 9/21/04

Howard Kaikow wrote:

> There is nothing wrong with packet writing itself, rather the
> problem has been the poorly designed/implemented, and less
> than adequately tested, implementations of ISO/IEC 13346.

The problem in fact lies with the error rate of CD media in general
and the specific problems of erasable media.

The impact comes in the TOC,
which must at least in part be scrubbed - erased and rewritten -
whenever a file is written or erased.

--------------------------------
Wow! What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Because of the limited number of erase cycles the medium will
tolerate, fixed-length packets are implemented by holding
the TOC in RAM.

Since it is in RAM, it's subject to scrambling with a power
transient or OS crash.
======================

-------------------------
What a Slimy Friggin SOB!
-------------------------

--------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

smh wrote:

<snip)

> If you are determined <g> to partition the hard disk, get Acronis Disk
> Director Suite which includes Acronis Partition Expert. It handles the
> 250G disk and sees the hidden partitions. You can create a partition
> using the free space of existing partition (C:) and assigns a drive
> letter after CD/DVD drive(s).

Do you have any business relationship with Acronis?

> (Create a partition only big enough that C: partition is just under 32G
> total by *clicking* the down arrow in the size input box.

Why just under 32GB?