Is this even worth upgrading at all?

Just wondering if upgrading from a Celeron 600mhz 66FSB to a Celeron 800mhz 66FSB would make any big differences? Thanks!
24 answers Last reply
More about worth upgrading
  1. You would probably notice a difference, but if I were you I would save up a bit more money and get something that will at least use DDR RAM.

If you can get the Celeron 800 for free, by all means take it, if not I wouldn't give too much for it.

<font color=green>My other personality is schitzofrenic.</font color=green>
  2. Like icy oblivion said if you're getting it for free go for it, but it would be a pitiful comparison to what you can put together using what you can salvage out of your machine and about a 300 dollar investment. You should seriously look at the going prices out there right now for the components for just a medium range machine is really good, and when I say medium range I mean between 1 to 2 Ghz. Think about it.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.
  3. No, first problem is that the Celeron 800 is 100MHz FSB. The 766 would not be a worth upgrade. Are you certain your board doesn't support 100MHz FSB? What board are you using? Maybe I can help?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  4. Well I was just wondering if it would be a worthy upgrade. I'm not sure what kind of motherboard it is, but I know it's a Trigem that is old. The computer is a EMachine 600ix and I'm not sure if it supports 100FSB or not, and if it did, that would be incredible. I asked the support what was the highest cpu it would support, and they told me it was 800mhz. Thanks for your help!
  5. Hmm, probably the fastest CPU they ever used on it was an 800. What that means to you is that a PIII 850 should work as well, since the multiplier is locked on PIII's.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
  6. Viegnsta, they have told you that 800Mhz is the limit, but it could be Celeron or PIII? Then, maybe going from Celeron to PIII and with higher frecuency is not all that bad upgrade ... at least to give some extra life to this system. It depends on how much the CPU will cost you and what are your objectives with this upgrade. Don't expect a quantum jump, I mean it's still a CPU limited computer.

Oh yes, one more thing. Open your case and look around your mobo. Usually they write the model. Or at least you will know which chipset is using. This will always be helpful.

Hope this helps.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
  7. It probably hasn't occured to you that manufacturers are rarely correct about the max CPU supported? If he's stuck with a 66MHz bus, the 766 is the fastest. If he can go to 100MHz bus, it supports at least a Celeron 1000 Coppermine. Multiplier locks on chips mean there is no "max multiplier" so it's only a matter of bus speed. The PIII 850 performs better than the Celeron 1000. And he has a Trigem motherboard, eMachines uses their own brand (trigem) of board.

8. Hey, hey, hey, wait a minute!

I know multiplier is fixed by CPU, but mobos support a maximum bus speed (if I'm not wrong basically on clock generator and how is setup). And also, I'm aware that mobo manufacturers don't take time to upgrade its products capabilities sheet. If not, right now I won't be using my SP97-V with an unsupported K6-2 500 at the unofficial 83Mhz bus ;-)

BTW, sorry for Trigem mistake, I didn't know about it or at least I haven't heard anything here (Europe).

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
  9. PIII 850? You got me thinking about my niece's computer again but I don't think an upgrade from a Celeron 667 to PIII 850 is worth the $100. The most intensive thing she does is play is CIV3, Poseidon, etc. Why aren't PIIIs cheaper?

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
  10. Cheaper motherboards sometimes don't boot if the stepping microcode isn't in the BIOS.

Coppermine PIIIs are expensive because they don't make them anymore and there is still a demand for them.
    If you've got a decent board I'd pick a Tualaton Celeron over a PIIIE. You can pin mod them to work on non-Tualatin boards or pick up cheap adaptors for US$30.

- JW
  11. I forgot they are out of production.

If it were my system I'd probably attempt to overclock. Don't think the chances of getting a Celeron 667 to run at 1 Ghz are very good, though.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
  12. Save your money and upgrade mobo, ram and CPU. The 1700+ is 60.00US at newegg. mobo is around 70US.. DDR ram is cheap enough. Good luck.

Hang in there. It can only get better!
  13. Thanks for the info guys.

Well, overclocking wouldn't work too well cause there isn't anything in the BIOS that'll let me. I am going to get another system, but just waiting for the right time. I highly doubt a Pentium 3 would even work on this mobo, and I don't even think it supports 100FSB. Thanks for the info. again guys!
  14. Right, there is a max bus speed. which I went over in my last post. The fastest 66MHz bus Coppermine was the Celeron 766. The most highly clocked Coppermine on a 100MHz bus is the Celeron 1100 128k cache version. The PIII 850 also has 100MHz bus. And there were rare, 1000E PIII's on 100MHz bus, as well as the Ultra Rare 900E. So it's just a matter of finding out if his board supports a 100MHz bus speed.

The Celeron 800 is a 100MHz bus processor, so the manufacturer is WRONG, this is well established. How do I know they are wrong? If it supports the Celeron 800 it also supports the PIII 850, etc. If it doesn't support the PIII 850, it doesn't support the Celeron 800!

15. Of course the same microcode set needed for the Celeron 667 also supported the PIII Coppermines.

16. Every stepping has it's own microcode because every stepping fixes a few problems (or adds a few). The microcode for the coppermine cB0 is different from that of the cC0 which is again different then the cD0. It's dependent on the CPUID string.

<A HREF="http://www.froggy.com.au/frogge/pepper/bmreport1.html" target="_new">Here's a good article</A>

- JW

*PIII-800 @900 i440BX SMP and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*
  17. Yes, but there were both Celerons and PIII's at the cB0 stepping, for example.

18. Just noticing the posts about the PIII coppermine. There is a PIII Coppermine at 1.17Ghz I believe. I know that there is a 1GHz since I own one. But do the higher clocked PIII have a 133 bus then?

<font color=green>My other personality is schitzofrenic.</font color=green>
  19. The fastest Coppermine Intel ever released was the recalled PIII 1.13. They did however produce for Dell only a very rare PIII 1.10GHz Coppermine that used the same multiplier and bus speed as the Celeron 1100.

20. Sorry Crash but they also produced a P3 1200/100fsb. Very rare but this is the fastest clocked P3 coppermine. And of course Tualatins with a 133fsb up to 1400mhz.

That is really weird. I went to the Intel spec sheet to get the Scode of the 1200/100 and it does not exist. Although I bought one of these off of ebay arround 8 month ago. It was DOA and I had to return it. Maybe it was remarked or something???????

I aint signing nothing!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rick_Criswell on 11/21/02 08:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  21. Nah, the 1.20GHz was the desktop (256k) version of the 1.26GHz server (512k) processor, both being Tualatins. Yours was probably DOA because the board wasn't Tualatin compatable.

22. re: Yes, but there were both Celerons and PIII's at the cB0 stepping, for example.

True. I guess the point I was originally trying to make was that some cheap motherboard manufacturers never release new BIOSes with microcode for the newer steppings.

The fastest production Coppermine PIII I've ever heard of was the 1100E.

edit: Rick - maybe it was an engineering sample.

- JW

*PIII-800 @900 i440BX SMP and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JCLW on 11/21/02 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  23. Right, Dell is Intel's cabin boy, they were the only ones to receive the 1100E as far as I know.

24. Yeah those trigems are realy shite, I had one with my eMachine, came with i810 chipset and integrated graphics, thats probably what he has so I reckon it will easy support 100fsb (I had a p3 750 with mine).
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Celeron