palaboy

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2002
Could anyone direct me to a site where I could download a CPU identification utility. I want to know if the computer dealer is shortchanging me for my purchase. I bought an Athlon XP computer but the BIOS and the Windows XP system report tells me otherwise.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
To know the true identity of your processor you must remove the heatsink from it. Once the heatsink is removed, the processors identity is revealed.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
JCLW is correct. CPU-Z is useful most of the time for identifying a processor ... unless ... those rascals unlocked that cpu. :eek: Unlikely but possible.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did it occur to you that the bus speed might be set to 100MHz when it's supposed to be 133MHz? If it's dealer assembled, make HIM do the proper settings.

Also, you do know that the XP+ number is not a real MHz number? It's a PR number, like the old Cyrix PR-300 that only ran at something like 200MHz and was easily stomped by a Pentium 233...only in this case it's the PIII 1400 easily stomping the XP 1500+

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>