Sign in with
Your question

Installed win7 on a xp but boots to xp

Last response: in Windows 7
June 5, 2010 5:34:18 AM

I have 3 partitions: 1 xp (C:) , 1 blank (D:)  and 1 others (E:) 
windows xp pro, works fine.
Installed win7 fine on D:
Installed fine, installed a bunch of programs then restarted.
It boots to XP! I can't see the boot option, it always goes to XP.

Any way or software to fix this?

Thanks.

More about : installed win7 boots

June 5, 2010 3:42:44 PM

I did, it didn't do anything since it's affecting vista bootloader.
You see I have vista installed once and ... sigh, my boot is all messed up.
I need to completely wipe or something. How do I do that?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2010 8:47:14 PM

If XP is the first OS loaded and still working, start it up and delete the W7 partition. What is the third partition? if it's your restore partition leave it, if it's a 100 meg partition leave it. If it's one you created you can take this opportunity to delete it leaving more space for W7.
After deleting the W7 partition, reboot with the W7 dvd, choose custom install go to disk tools and choose the now empty partition as your instalation destination.
Windows will set up a dual boot menu for you.
m
l
June 5, 2010 10:50:56 PM

Hello sliem,

Sounds like you should start with a clean slate. Backup your data!

You can perform a clean install from a Windows 7 upgrade version however you will have to have a valid previous copy of Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Vista installed to validate the upgrade and activate the product key. Please note that when migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7 you will not have an "in place upgrade" option. You will however have the option to select "custom" install when prompted. The Windows 7 install process will then copy all of your data in "My Documents" over to a Windows.old folder within Windows 7 itself. All applications and documents stored in other locations will have to be reinstalled / transferred manually.
For more information on the Windows 7 Upgrade, please go here: http://bit.ly/3DvynK

For additional assistance with the migration of Windows XP to Windows 7, please go here: http://tinyurl.com/mhbep4

thanks again,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

m
l
!