Gigabyte @ Comdex: This is wierd

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
If you look at this <A HREF="http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/shows/2002/comdex/day1/mb/gigabytek800v.jpg" target="_new">link</A>, you will see something mighty wierd. The Gigabyte plate for their VIA-based Hammer board says "Supports Socket 754 Advanced 800MHz FSB for AMD ClawHammer Processors" and right below, the even wierder part "Supports Hyper Threading Technology Processor." This is the same for the AMD-based Hammer board.

Now a) I always thought that the Hammer was going to be a FSB-less chip, reliant on the memory type used, and b) that Hyper Threading was a purely Intel invention.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

eden

Champion
BTW if nForce 2 will come out for Hammer, that includes CH, then CH will technically also benefit from the Dual Channeling. Who knows, perhaps that brings the value closer to Opteron performance!

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 11/19/02 04:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1752&p=1" target="_new">Anandtech</A> confirmed that the KT400A will indeed be a dual DDR chipset. As to the other possible misprint, it looks like you're probably right.

In other news, Barton's will no only have 512K of L2, but also be at a 400MHz FSB.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

eden

Champion
Check my thread for all the news on the upcoming processors.
It is indeed interesting to see AMD continuing improvement for Barton. That can potentially help. If they can have a 2.25GHZ Barton at 400MHZ FSB with 512K L2 (total IPC increase would be 15% average), then they can actually compete a 3.06GHZ HT.
But as it stands, they will never reclaim the crown in HT beneficial apps, nor in any SSE2 optimized ones such as Lightwave. So no matter what AMD adds to K7, it just isn't gonna help much, from the way I see it.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem