Questions about the performance of P4 with HT

bradalan1

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2002
I have an odd question about the performance of the recently written about P4 3.06 with HT. I see that in productivity apps it has superior performance over the overclocked P4 3.6 but in graphics benchmarks it falls behind. I understand that all graphics benchmarks are primarily driven by clock speed but this is what I wonder. Suppose both the P4 with HT and the same speed proc without HT are run in a bench against each other. According to Toms test, 3DMark2001SE puts them within 20 points of each other. Now thinking of this from a gaming standpoint, would the processor with HT be superior to the one w/o taking into consideration game loading times, moving from zone to zone in an Everquest like game, and things like that? Would both processors score 15620 in 3DMark2001SE but one finish the benchmark 2 minutes before the other?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
It would depend on whether you have something else going on. HT won't really benefit switch times much if you're not switching between two tasks that are simultaneously running. So probably not.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
This was discussed a couple days ago...<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">here</A>

I think the 3.6 had its memory latency so high to get the FSB up there that it actually hurt it in some benches.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...