Available speed over wireless

I upgraded the speed of my Verizon DSL to 3 megs from 1.5.
I have been using the MN500 base with an MN520 notebook
adapter without problems. I also have an MN510 USB adapter
available. Since I upgraded the service, I cannot get more
than the original 1.5 meg speed to the laptop over the
wireless devices. My main computer gets the full 3 meg
speed from the base over ethernet and I can also get 3
megs into the laptop by connecting it with ethernet to the
base. Does anyone know how to get the wireless devices up
to speed?

You're limited by the wireless, Dan. For instance, 802.11b does 11 Mbps,
and 802.11g does 54 Mbps. That's megabits, not megabytes. The throughput
on wireless has a built-in overhead, so the likely result is about 40-50% of
rating. Everyone on wireless has it, since it is slower than a direct
connection via a Network Interface Card.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Dan B." <danb@ptd.net> wrote in message
>I upgraded the speed of my Verizon DSL to 3 megs from 1.5.
> I have been using the MN500 base with an MN520 notebook
> adapter without problems. I also have an MN510 USB adapter
> available. Since I upgraded the service, I cannot get more
> than the original 1.5 meg speed to the laptop over the
> wireless devices. My main computer gets the full 3 meg
> speed from the base over ethernet and I can also get 3
> megs into the laptop by connecting it with ethernet to the
> base. Does anyone know how to get the wireless devices up
> to speed?

I am dealing in Mbps. The DSL is good for 3000 KBits or
375 KBytes/sec. If the wireless setup I have is capable of
11 Mbps, I would think it would be able to handle 3 Mbps.
Am I missing something?

Yes, you're mixing the different measurements. Take a look at this
information:
http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-network-speeds.asp