Sign in with
Your question

Intel Or AMD?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2002 3:32:39 AM

Hi all,

I'm intending to change my old P2 system coming christmas. However, I'm really confused on which type of chip is more suitable for me. I've heard terrible stories of AthlonXP chip (such as overheated etc.). My primary needs are as follow:

For school work (Photoshop/Dreamweaver/Programming/Word Processing etc)
For family use (Entertainment etc)
For gaming (not much though, i'm not a avid gamer :p )
& For my parents work use (AutoCAD etc.)

Well, I will have to change my mainboard, ram, casing and get a new chip. Hence, any recommendations for which kind of chip & mainboard should I purchase? I do have a tight budget though. About SIN $700+. My current sound card, HDD, FDD, monitor can still be used. However, I'm not sure if my old 3dfx voodoo3 2000 can fit into my new system?

Thanks in advance :-)

More about : intel amd

November 21, 2002 3:44:07 AM

not again!!! lol

They're both just as reliable and the top end chips compare pretty damn close. Typically you'll save some bucks with an Athlon config, but here of late not too too much. So if your budget is tight get a great AMD board and Athlon XP and you'll be a very happy person. Athlon's won't overheat, melt, explode or cause any of the like.

This question is really old though and always tends to cause heated arguments since everyone things one chip fabricator is better than the other... ah well, I'll take a stab since you're tight on budget and want to get the most out of your money.

For what you're doing, you'll want a fast chip, stable board and at least 512MB of RAM. As for cases get something that looks sharp online or at a store, which shouldn't run you anymore than $50. Don't get the power unit with it and save about $15 since you'll want to buy one seperately.

So case $50. You now need a board, ram, cpu and let's get a graphics card, the one you have is crying to be upgraded.

AMD

Board: The best board I can recommend is the Chaintech 7NJS which uses the latest nforce 2 chipset. In a couple months nforce 2 boards will be out with integrated geforce4 grahpics. This board offers it all, DDR 400, USB 2.0, 6-ch sound, LAN - $185 shipped from newegg. (Stay away from the Asus nforce2 board as it has known cooler mounting issues)

RAM: 512MB Corsair PC3200 DDR400, shipped from googlegear.com for $180

CPU: Athlon XP 2100+ retail (comes with AMD recommend cooling) shipped also from googlegear for $98

VIDEO: I'd get the Gainward GeForce4 Ti4200 video card with 64MB DDR. I have this card, very very fast. Not quite an ATI 9700 PRO, but also $300 less. This card will serve all your needs very well and for time to come. $125 shipped also from googlegear.

Power unit: get a good name ENERMAX EG365P-VE(FM). 350W from newegg for $55 shipped

Approx: $700 (includes $50 for case)

INTEL

Board: Gigabyte GA-8GE667 Pro i845GE. As with the AMD sytem, you'll get a great board with USB 2.0, DDR, built in LAN, 6-ch sound and support for the fastest intel chips including hyper-threading chips. $125 shipped from googlegear.com

RAM/Power unit and Video: I'd recommend the same as above.

CPU: Only left with $165 for CPU, and once again AMD gains the upper-hand here. Even though the board was $60 cheaper and you have much more for a CPU, finding an intel chip that will compete on par to the 2100+ @ $165 is hard.

I managed to find a 2GHz Pentium 4, retail (with intel approved cooling) for $165 exactly, shipped also from googlegear!

Approx: $700 (includes $50 for case)

So basically two systems, most likely indentical performance. The AMD 2100+ paired with the nforce2 board though may actually perform a bit better, it's nearly a draw. With either system you'd be very happy!
November 21, 2002 7:29:02 AM

2 GHz NW P4 + DDR is lot slower than XP 2100+ + nForce2 + Dual Channel DDR

Buy the ASUS A7N8X, you will not install CPU everyday. It is cheaper than the Chaintech one. And Chaintech's nForce board is the slowest nForce board currently available. Difference between A7N8X and Chaintech nForce2 may be equal to the difference between AXP 2100+ and 2000+.

For graphics card, I like the MSI GeForce4 Ti4200 64 MB. Has better cooling than the Leadtek card, although Leadtek's cooler is also good. It's little more expensive than Leadtek card.

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2002 11:41:13 AM

At 2.4GHz the value of either processor is identicle. As you get slower/cheaper the value shifts toware AMD. Unless you plan to overclock. Both the 1.6A and 1.8A P4's are extremely overclockable, putting the value back to Intel for overclockers.

With the limits of your budget, you'll probably end up with a rather slow machine, depending on local prices.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
November 21, 2002 12:08:52 PM

$700 Singapore dollars is equal to about 700/1.73 = $404.42 (US dollars). This is good because that allows you to pick a setup that will allow you reach about 2.4-2.9GHz through overclocking. Pentium4 Northwood 1.8A Retail ($147). Albatron PX845PEV PRO motherboard ($93), or the cheapest 845PE chipset motherboard you can find that allows overclocking. Two 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory modules ($130 combined). And a Chieftec case (400W to 450W power supply included) in the $50-$65 range. The 1.8A is fast as it is, but by using some simple FSB overclocking you should be able to get it anywhere from 2.4GHz to 2.9GHz with this motherboard. Good day!

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>
November 21, 2002 1:00:40 PM

Quote:
"I'm not sure if my old 3dfx voodoo3 2000 can fit into my new system?

Some motherboards don't like the older graphics cards in their AGP slot. If you have the PCI version of the Voodoo3 then it will definetly work in any of the motherboards recommended here.

November 21, 2002 1:54:08 PM

Oh [-peep-], didn't even see the SIN, lol. Sorry, yea definately get an AMD, most likely wait for a nforce2 IGP board to save some cash.

Well for anyone with about $700 US there's a good guide there for ya :)  That FUD about chaintech being slower than asus is non-sense. I looked at all the benchies too and there's little difference between the different nforce boards in terms of performance. The ASUS problem is a bit more than you want to make it out to be spit, some are demanding a recall of the damn things.
November 21, 2002 5:08:53 PM

Okay now that I've slept since I posted my first reply at 1:00am ish and totally missed the SIN dollar, let's try again.

You need a case, board, RAM, video and CPU for about $400 USD.

Being that you'll need to find a local store or maybe a online vendor that will ship to Signapore I have no idea what to quote you, though you could take these folowing suggestions and do your best scouting around for them, maybe on eBay singapore. When doing ebay though, be sure to check feedback and deal with someone trustworthy selling new stuff or you'll end up like me 9/10 times and with total CRAP.

With your budget I'd get definately go AMD.

CASE: Again shop around for something you'll like, decent cases shouldn't run more than $50. While getting a new name brand power unit is a good idea, a decent generic one with a case rated at 400W or better should be fine. To be honest I have a 370W generic because the $70 antec trupower one I bought didn't even work!!! And my system runs as stable as can be, so you should be fine there really.

BOARD/GRAPHICS: Get a nforce board, the Asus A7N266-VM nForce 220-D is a great board and which will have intergrated Geforce2 graphics, decent sound and other goodies. These boards run for about $80 in the US.

RAM: For what you want to do, the more RAM the better. You can prolly find 512MB of PC2100 or PC2700 for about $145 US, try to get a name brand and not generic with atleast CAS 2.5

CPU: I at about $295 US/ $525 SGD now, so for the CPU you can still prolly land a Athlon XP 1800, 1900, 2000+ retail with AMD recommended cooling and have it all fit in your budget. Just look around. Get the highest rated XP you can afford after getting the RAM, board and case.

The noforce board and 512MB DDR and a athlon XP will for sure satisfy all your specified computing needs and will be a major improvement over you P2 system and the voodoo card, good luck and sorry for the earlier confusion!
November 21, 2002 7:04:33 PM

I agree with Spitfire. The Asus A7N8X is on <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa..." target="_new">Newegg</A> for $155. The Geforce Ti series has come down in price a lot. If you have the money you can get either an ATI 9700 Pro or wait for the GeforceFX. I've always gone the Nvidia route because of thier excellent driver support. Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue>
November 22, 2002 3:53:42 AM

Ahh, what's the difference between 1.8A and a 2.4B? As for my graphics card, it's an AGP one though... not sure what's the speed (IE: 2x, 4x)
November 22, 2002 3:58:33 AM

It's ok for missing out :)  I was rather confused with your first post though... but it's ok :)  Well, mind if I know what kinda system are you using right now? Your recommendations are good, but well, can I ask if a gigabyte or Abit board would be good? Asus seems to expensive as compared to other boards over here (singapore). Also, do you recommend me getting a board with SiS chipset? What's the difference between SiS chipset and Intel chipset?
November 22, 2002 4:01:32 AM

Hmm, I was targetting the Geforce Ti 64MB one though... But well, you are currently using which kinda graphics card?
November 22, 2002 6:04:10 AM

Quote:
Ahh, what's the difference between 1.8A and a 2.4B? As for my graphics card, it's an AGP one though... not sure what's the speed (IE: 2x, 4x)

The two differ only by cost, default FSB speed and default clock speed. That is, for the 1.8A, if you go into the BIOS and increase the FSB from 100MHz to 133MHz, that will result in a processor virtually identical to a 2.4B.

The albatron board I mentioned above will not have a problem with the vooDoo3.

November 23, 2002 6:03:01 AM

Well, I thought the FSB for 2.4B is 533Mhz? Anyway, I'm not sure if my local dealers import albatron mainboard. Well, any other mainboard suggestions besides albatron?
November 23, 2002 7:43:12 AM

Quote:
Well, I thought the FSB for 2.4B is 533Mhz? Anyway, I'm not sure if my local dealers import albatron mainboard. Well, any other mainboard suggestions besides albatron?

P4 2.4B FSB is 533MHz. It's 133MHz quad-pumped (133MHz x 4) = 533MHz. I was referring to bios, where it will appear as 133MHz. And for mortherboards, try the Gigabyte 8PE667 motheboard.

November 23, 2002 12:48:49 PM

I'm using an Abit Siluro GF4 Ti4600 128MB which I picked up for just $229.00 at a PC show about 2 months ago. I imagine they will come down even more when the GeforceFX line comes out.

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by groth2757 on 11/23/02 10:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 24, 2002 5:28:51 AM

Ohh, okie =) Didn't know about the mainboard stuff. Thanks for your help and recommendation :) 
November 24, 2002 5:32:13 AM

Ah, okie. Will find out more info about that :)  Thanks :) 
November 24, 2002 5:07:53 PM

Well, I don't know about P4 boards, but Gigabyte is usually a good brand to go with for Athlon systems. Usually pretty rich in features (LAN, FireWire, USB 2.0, etc.) I think the same holds true for the P4 counterparts, but I'm not certain. MSI also is decent for AMD, but I try not to touch ASUS products on principle.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.
!