Sign in with
Your question

Quick help asap

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Cases
Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2002 2:48:57 PM

Building a system for a friend, can't make head or tale of the order in which the case conections should be connected to the board. Its a PC Chips 841LMR.

More about : quick asap

November 21, 2002 3:11:58 PM

tell us what you got dave?
the hdd led is not too important as you will know if it is on the wrong way round and it wont damage anything if u get it wrong. The speaker can go on either way. the power switch - i cant remember so be careful.

Are the leads on the case marked up? they should say on the connectors what they are. look in the manual for the motherboard (i know pc chips are [-peep-] but you might gleam something) and tell us what is there

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>
November 21, 2002 3:17:59 PM

What the manual says
1 hd_led_p 2 Fp pwr/slp
3 hd led n 4 fp pwr/slp
5 rst sw n 6 rst sw p
7 rst sw p 7 rst sw n
9 key 10 key

.... What it looks like

All the case connectors are labelled
Related resources
November 21, 2002 3:29:24 PM

good luck dude...

right so case connectors got 2 wires. most of them are wired into 2 wire connectors, some maybe 3.. on the connectors is a little arrow pointing to pin 1. connect that end to pin 1 on the mb as marked in the manual.

speaker is obvious right - SPK1.
reset switch - as u look at manual, the topmost pin is the one you want to put the arrow side of the connctor on.
HDD led - as above
pwr led - as bove
power button - u need to rewire the connector on the case lead. easy to do - use a pin to pull the flap on the connector up so you can pull out the metal bit. do this on both. then insert the red wire into the part of the connector with the arrow, and the black wire into the part next to it (the middle) then plug it in. part of the connector will hang over the end of the connector on the MB.

good luck - i got to go now (football tournament) so sorry to be brief.

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>
November 21, 2002 3:41:56 PM

which way do you count the pins ?
November 21, 2002 4:42:33 PM

look in the manual at the diagrams. it says which pin is pin one. As you look at the manual it is the top pin. (theres a number 1 next to it.) Attach the side of the connector with the little arrow on (look closely) onto that pin.

November 21, 2002 5:28:48 PM

1 # #
# # Manual
# #
# #
#

1 # #2
3 # #4
5 # #6
7 # #8
9 #

or
1 # #6
2 # #7
3 # #8
4 # #9
5 #

all the connectors are 2 pin except the pwr led one which is 3pin
Could you give me detailed instructions as to which one goe on which pin, the abreviations in the manual don't match up to what is on the cables.
November 21, 2002 6:42:33 PM

This should be right.

#1 #2
#3 #4
#5 #6

and so on.
The p's = pos The n's = neg the numbers's indicate the position.
1 hd_led_p = Hard drive pos led pin1 case may=hdd
3 hd led n = hard drive neg led pin3
2 Fp pwr/slp = power switch pin 2
4 fp pwr/slp = power switch pin 4
5 rst sw n = reset switch neg pin5
6 rst sw p = reset switch pos pin6

7 rst sw p 7 rst sw n + I dont understand this!
9 key 10 key + I dont know this either.

I hope this helps. Good luck. Post your results. Take care.

Hang in there. It can only get better!
November 21, 2002 7:14:30 PM

Ok that is exactly what i figured to, I have tried this and nothing, no power at all. what else might be stopping it. Really starting to get annoyed now, should have only taken me an hour or so to build and I've been at it all afternoon. I can't see any reason for it not to be working, I have even tried 2 different psu but get exactly the same result. What am I doing wrong ?????????
November 21, 2002 8:55:02 PM

the power button on case must not be connected to mb properly.check that it's on the right way.if you look closely there is usually a little arrow on the end of the head of the connecting lead which points out the 1 pin
November 21, 2002 9:06:10 PM

It is connected correctly, i have checked about 5 times, anyone had any Pc Chips experiences ?. From what I have seen the motherboard is cheap and poorly built and the manual is poorly written and very vague.
November 21, 2002 9:13:43 PM

dunno about pc chips.silly question but have you secured the connection between psu and mobo?not trying to be patronising but i can't think of anything else.although i have come across occasions where i had to connect the leads up for switches and leds slightly differently from what it said in manual i.e.turning head the other way round.don't try it on my advice though coz i aint sure of the risks involved.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
November 21, 2002 10:14:37 PM

Like I said I have tried 2 psu's and have made sure the connection is sweet, I'm starting to think it might be a dodgy motherboard, but how do you tell can't get any power what so ever into the board, please help.
November 21, 2002 10:17:55 PM

i would be more inclined to go with it being a dodgy case/lead from power switch of case rather than dodgy motherboard.have you used the case before?if you have another mobo around you could try that in it to isolate the problem coz you know it aint the psu so it must be case/power switch lead or mobo.

November 21, 2002 10:31:36 PM

I have used the case before with no problems. If the motherboard was shorting in anyway (which I don't think it is) would this stop the power from coming ?
November 21, 2002 10:37:34 PM

if it was shorting it would short straight away and not work again.you would have noticed though.looks like you must have a faulty mobo and you will have to get it replaced i'm afraid.hope that aint gonna be a problem.it's happened to me before and that was with an asus.
good luck.

November 21, 2002 10:48:03 PM

you cant get the connection wrong on the power switch, it just connects the two pins, either way does the same thing. sorry to be the one to break it to you, but that is the worst board you can find, if you tried to give me one i would run away. are you sure your power supply is strong enough?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
November 21, 2002 11:22:38 PM

Tell me about it, I wouldn't have bought one of these if someone held a gun against my head. I've tried a 300w psu and a 350 w psu, nothing from either
November 21, 2002 11:24:40 PM

no question then-it's a dud...my signature seems very appropriate for your predicament

November 22, 2002 8:03:32 AM

have you checked that the RAM is pressed in reeeeely hard? Just cos the clips on the side have snapped in doesnt mean the ram is seated right. Theres 184 pins on DDR and it requires some force to get them all in.

you've put the processor in as well right?

*Oh yeah - PC chips - lol.

November 22, 2002 8:09:51 AM

Woah dude - just reread one of your posts. Are you sure the 3 pin connector is the power led, and not the power switch?? makes a BIG difference

November 22, 2002 8:53:26 AM

If you've got a bad ground a pc will not boot up nor with your psu power up. I got caught with that once many years ago. Can you see any light come on when you hit the power, even if only for a split second? Also one other thing I had seen(only once though) was a faulty drive that took a shock. Everytime I hit the power it blew out the breaker on the P/S. Try unplugging everything but the CPU and Ram and see if you get power to the system.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:
November 22, 2002 12:44:15 PM

yes i'm sure the 3 pin connector is the power led, i've been trying to boot it with just the proceesor and ram, absolutly nothing happens when you hit the power button. Also if the ram wasn't seated right that wouldn't stop the power coming on ?
November 22, 2002 2:41:05 PM

you only need the power switch to get it to power on right ?, you don't need to plug the power led in ?.
November 22, 2002 2:57:36 PM

possibly but to be sure get the power led on there too dude.

does sound like a duff board. can u send it back and get it replaced with a non-pc chips one?

What colour are the wires on the power led connector? and also the power switch?

November 22, 2002 9:04:26 PM

I have finally got it cracked its now up and running, want to hear what the problem was, well I'll tell you the manual was F*****g wrong the power switch goes in pins 8 & 9. The only way I found out was by chance, happened to be round a friends house and they had a pc chips mobo so I had a flick through their book and it showed the power switch in pins 8 & 9. I thought I may as well try this when I got home, booted straight away, I couldn't believe it.
I would strongly advise anyone against buying a pc chips motherboard they are terrible.
I must thank everyone for the support it has been most helpfull, but I suppose you can't help if the manual is wrong, thanks again

Dave
November 22, 2002 9:07:10 PM

result! glad you got it sorted.

let that be a lesson in why not to get pc-shits

November 22, 2002 9:23:50 PM

Thanks once again for your help mate it was much appreciated. How are you supposed to build a Pc when the manual is wrong, I just can't believe it. F*****G Pc chips utter bollocks.
November 24, 2002 4:49:57 AM

Isn't that a crock. I don't understand why these hardware companies can't hire someone that can read and write to produce these manuals. I've had similar problems before. If the don't want to spend more than 10 cents on a manual, I wish they would at least put a little effort into making sure it is correctly on a website since manuals tend to disappear anyway.

<font color=green>Tbred or Northwood?? Anybody have a quarter?</font color=green>
!