Dell 5160

Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?

Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my lap
top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends home,
even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit in feet
or yards you can go before you lose signal?

Thank You
A.Patti
4 answers Last reply
More about dell 5160

    Wireless range depends on terrain, construction, and type (B or G is
    shorter range than A).

    The 51xx series does have a reputation for running hot - overheating
    even - keep the heatsink clear of dust at all times.

    Augustino Patti wrote:
    > Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
    > ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?
    >
    > Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my lap
    > top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends home,
    > even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit in feet
    > or yards you can go before you lose signal?
    >
    > Thank You
    > A.Patti

    If you are going through walls maybe 30 to 100 feet.

    Depends on what type of material the signal has to travel through as well.

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Visit our forums for FREE technical support at
    http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    "Augustino Patti" <apattijr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
    > ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?
    >
    > Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my
    > lap top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends
    > home, even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit
    > in feet or yards you can go before you lose signal?
    >
    > Thank You
    > A.Patti

    "Augustino Patti" <apattijr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Hello I just got a Dell 5160 Note Book computer the first note book I have
    > ever owned has anyone had any problems with theres yet?
    >
    > Just wondering, also I have a router downstairs in my office and use my
    > lap top up stairs alot, but if I tend to walk next store to my friends
    > home, even with the wireless card , I can get no signal, is there a limit
    > in feet or yards you can go before you lose signal?
    >
    > Thank You
    > A.Patti

    hi
    I have 5160 also, just a few weeks old. Previous to that I have used a range
    of Latitude CPi/CSx which ran fine. Yes the 5160 can get quite 'warm' but
    with a P4 HT 2.8 cpu that's not too surprising. So far I have had no
    problems, and am relaxed about that aspect.

    As for wireless, I bought a Linksys WAG54G coupled with a matched PCMCIA
    card and it works just fine. Sometimes XP whines that no connection can be
    found as the PC is cranked up, but every time the connection kicks in a few
    seconds later anyway. Range has been fine with no rooms causing a problem in
    my house. WAG54G is downstairs where I have phone and power points and it
    all seems quite happy, and is just in the middle of some marathon downloads
    (2 days+ uptime with no issues)

    cheers
    Dave

    hi. a month later...any issues with your 5160? thanks

    View From The Hill wrote:

    > hi
    > I have 5160 also, just a few weeks old. Previous to that I have used
    a range
    > of Latitude CPi/CSx which ran fine. Yes the 5160 can get quite 'warm'
    but
    > with a P4 HT 2.8 cpu that's not too surprising. So far I have had no
    > problems, and am relaxed about that aspect.
    >
    > As for wireless, I bought a Linksys WAG54G coupled with a matched
    PCMCIA
    > card and it works just fine. Sometimes XP whines that no connection
    can be
    > found as the PC is cranked up, but every time the connection kicks in
    a few
    > seconds later anyway. Range has been fine with no rooms causing a
    problem in
    > my house. WAG54G is downstairs where I have phone and power points
    and it
    > all seems quite happy, and is just in the middle of some marathon
    downloads
    > (2 days+ uptime with no issues)
    >
    > cheers
    > Dave