Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Encounter Table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:46:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?

More about : encounter table rec games frp dnd

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:46:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

John Rudd wrote:
> pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
> > Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?
>
>
> Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd
>
> 0-40 Troll
> 41-70 Flame Elemental
> 71-90 Mindless Zombie
> 91-98 Blathering Narcisist
> 99-00 Wise Sage

You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.

There's a wise sage here? I'll be damned.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:10:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
> Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?


Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd

0-40 Troll
41-70 Flame Elemental
71-90 Mindless Zombie
91-98 Blathering Narcisist
99-00 Wise Sage
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 6, 2005 1:35:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Alien mind control rays made Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> write:
> John Rudd wrote:
>> pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
>> > Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?
>>
>> Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd
>>
>> 99-00 Wise Sage
>
> There's a wise sage here? I'll be damned.

its an overwhelming encounter, certainly.

--
\^\ // drow@bin.sh (CARRIER LOST) <http://www.bin.sh/&gt;
\ // - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
// \ X-Windows: Complex non-solutions to simple non-problems.
// \_\ -- Dude from DPAK
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 2:33:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Justisaur wrote:
> John Rudd wrote:
> > pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
> > > Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?
> >
> >
> > Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd
> >
> > 0-40 Troll
> > 41-70 Flame Elemental
> > 71-90 Mindless Zombie
> > 91-98 Blathering Narcisist
> > 99-00 Wise Sage
>
> You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.

MSB sometimes does that in his spare time after he fills much of
the 1-70 encounters.

> There's a wise sage here? I'll be damned.

Quite likely you will be, ask Jack Chick. Regarding the wise
sage posts I post here, so obviously there are some intelligent
posts, one might even say I am actually above the wise sage on
that list.

But I doubt the possibility of a wise save post is as high as 2%.

Try this:
D20
1-4 Alignment flame war.
5-6 Ron
7-8 Another alignment flame war.
9-10 MSB
11-12 Repeat of an old alignment flame war.
13 Flame war after Moron insists 2nd ed was more consistent and
easier to run
14 Insanely stupid alignment flame war.
15 Flame war after Moron asks question easily answered by 6 seconds
of actually reading the rules
16 Discussion of new product
17 Discussion of how some power is obvious munchkin bait
18-19 Irrelevant off topic flames about US politics
20 Other.

On Other reroll a d20 below
1-5 Complaints about Alignment flame wars
6 Laszlo arguing Druids are overpowered
7-8 Ron under an alias posting to start a flame war
9-10 Speculation about whether a poster is actually Burke
11 Irrelevant appeal to 3.0 FAQ
12 Posting of an oppinion from the sage
13-15 Posting of reasons to assume the sage is full of it
16-17 [Campaign] Taged posts
18 Interesting if irrelevant story from someone's game
19 Reasonable and intelligent question or responce
20 Wise Sage

DougL
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 5:24:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

DougL wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
> > John Rudd wrote:
> > > pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
> > > > Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?
> > >
> > >
> > > Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd
> > >
> > > 0-40 Troll
> > > 41-70 Flame Elemental
> > > 71-90 Mindless Zombie
> > > 91-98 Blathering Narcisist
> > > 99-00 Wise Sage
> >
> > You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.
>
> MSB sometimes does that in his spare time after he fills much of
> the 1-70 encounters.
>
> > There's a wise sage here? I'll be damned.
>
> Quite likely you will be, ask Jack Chick.

BLACK LEAF!!! *sobs uncontrollably*

> Regarding the wise
> sage posts I post here, so obviously there are some intelligent
> posts, one might even say I am actually above the wise sage on
> that list.

I think calling it "Wise Sage" was a good move on John's part. This
way, everyone can imagine it refers to them. :) 

> Try this:

<snip>

Nice!

> 15 Flame war after Moron asks question easily answered by 6 seconds
> of actually reading the rules

Ah. A rant on this subject has long been simmering in me. Time to let
it out.

What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers? I could
understand it if this newsgroup was "for D&D veterans only". But it's
not, and I don't know many regulars (yes, I know there are a few) who
consciously _want_ newbies to stay away from this NG.

And yet, by ridiculing simple questions, that's exactly the impression
a newbie would get. They are not welcome here, their questions and
views aren't welcome here. Is this a good thing? I don't think so.
Newbies (to D&D, not the NG) can have a lot to offer.

D&D rules are not simple. They are very difficult. Most of us don't see
this anymore, because a lot of them are second nature. But D&D is one
of the most complicated games I know of. And I'm a games enthusiast.

A coupl of years ago, I was a rules guru on
rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules. We had an unwritten rule, that we
answered all (non-trollish) rules questions, no matter how obvious. And
we answered them politely. And I don't see why that would be a bad
policy for this newsgroup.

We were all newbies once. For many (most) people, learning by asking
questions is a _lot_ easier than learning by reading hundreds of pages
of rules.

> 6 Laszlo arguing Druids are overpowered

Well, but they are. :) 

Laszlo
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 3:40:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <1123359865.630523.313720@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu says...

> > 15 Flame war after Moron asks question easily answered by 6 seconds
> > of actually reading the rules
>
> Ah. A rant on this subject has long been simmering in me. Time to let
> it out.
>
> What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers? I could
> understand it if this newsgroup was "for D&D veterans only". But it's
> not, and I don't know many regulars (yes, I know there are a few) who
> consciously _want_ newbies to stay away from this NG.
>
> And yet, by ridiculing simple questions, that's exactly the impression
> a newbie would get. They are not welcome here, their questions and
> views aren't welcome here. Is this a good thing? I don't think so.
> Newbies (to D&D, not the NG) can have a lot to offer.
>
> D&D rules are not simple. They are very difficult. Most of us don't see
> this anymore, because a lot of them are second nature. But D&D is one
> of the most complicated games I know of. And I'm a games enthusiast.
>
> A coupl of years ago, I was a rules guru on
> rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules. We had an unwritten rule, that we
> answered all (non-trollish) rules questions, no matter how obvious. And
> we answered them politely. And I don't see why that would be a bad
> policy for this newsgroup.
>
> We were all newbies once. For many (most) people, learning by asking
> questions is a _lot_ easier than learning by reading hundreds of pages
> of rules.

Hear, hear.


--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 10:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

>> We were all newbies once. For many (most) people, learning by asking
>> questions is a _lot_ easier than learning by reading hundreds of pages
>> of rules.

My experience tells me that there are three types of learners:
1) Do-it-yourselfer: The one who'll read through the manual a dozen time
before going on to actually attemping whatever endevour is in front of them.
These tend to be type-a personalities as well.
2) Observer: This type watches over the shoulder of an experienced
individual asking (if only to the 'teacher') good, possibly innane,
questions. This one also tends to get chased out of places after getting on
the nerves of the 'volunteered' teacher
3) Trial and Error: This could be the most dangerous type of learner, since
they dive in sometimes without bothering to read any safety precautions or
manuals. This leading to mostly humorous, sometimes disastrous, results.

Also, I've seen people shift beween them, mine tend to be one and two (potty
jokes not included)

Here in RGFD, I've noticed an overwhelming amount, probably a result of the
medium, of the Observer. However, I've also noticed that novice Observers
tend to get knocked around a bit since they'll chime in about something that
might have already been answered up-post.

-==-
Jerry Chesko
"Armchair shrink for hire"
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:12:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Note from the table, a roll of 00 results in both a Wise Sage and a
Troll. Sounds about right for some of the discussions.
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 1:25:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> A coupl of years ago, I was a rules guru on
> rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules. We had an unwritten rule, that we
> answered all (non-trollish) rules questions, no matter how obvious. And
> we answered them politely. And I don't see why that would be a bad
> policy for this newsgroup.
>

I try to do this myself. One of the reasons I don't appreciate MSB
attacking all the newbs. He just chases off people who might just be
getting into the game, don't know where the so called "obvious" answers
are, and maybe chasing them away from the game entirely, doing all of
us a diservice.

On the other hand when I do go read the boards on WotC there don't seem
to be many enligtening discussions, and a heck of a lot more innane
chatter. As bad as this group may appear to be I find the signal to
noise ratio far better than WotC's boards. So maybe the Hanibal
Lect... er MSBs of the world is the price you pay for free and creative
speach. It doesn't mean the rest of us can't be polite though.

- Justisaur
August 9, 2005 1:44:19 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 6 Aug 2005 13:24:25 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu dared speak
in front of ME:

>A coupl of years ago, I was a rules guru on
>rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules. We had an unwritten rule, that we
>answered all (non-trollish) rules questions, no matter how obvious. And
>we answered them politely. And I don't see why that would be a bad
>policy for this newsgroup.

Note that the group you're referring to is specifically about rules
questions. Go to the .strategy group, and see how rules questions
were treated.

Complex ones with strategical implications got treated fairly. Simple
ones got referred to .rules (or to Oracle, the closest thing to an FM
for the game) often in less than polite terms.

rgfd isn't rgtcm.strategy, but it's not .rules either. It's more akin
to the .misc group. I never spent much time there, though, so I can't
say how they handled seemingly obvious rules questions.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
August 9, 2005 12:24:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 6 Aug 2005 13:24:25 -0700, laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

>What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?

They are boring to read because you've seen the answer so many
times already. Maybe that's why they provoke flames?, people are
just irritated reading them and they take it out on the poor
'ignorant' poster.

>And yet, by ridiculing simple questions, that's exactly the impression
>a newbie would get. They are not welcome here, their questions and
>views aren't welcome here. Is this a good thing? I don't think so.
>Newbies (to D&D, not the NG) can have a lot to offer.

Stop defending the newbies - they are well done to when they are
ridiculed. Maybe that will encourage them to buy White Wolf
products instead.

>D&D rules are not simple. They are very difficult. Most of us don't see
>this anymore, because a lot of them are second nature. But D&D is one
>of the most complicated games I know of.

I agree. Compared with 80% of the games in my collection (even
the old ones) D&D is complicated. Compared to 99% of modern
games D&D looks even more complicated.

Furthermore, for a game that pretends to be generic fantasy D&D
is very particular to its various game-worlds.

>Laszlo
August 9, 2005 12:24:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:24:30 GMT, Oberon <oberon@solstice.com> dared
speak in front of ME:

>Furthermore, for a game that pretends to be generic fantasy D&D
>is very particular to its various game-worlds.

Actually, D&D makes no such claim. It's the D20 System that makes the
claim of being generic.

You should check out Iron Heroes, btw. No alignment for you to trip
over.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 6:08:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <nnpgf15eep7bi9bdod0tg4d6mud2rmh03r@4ax.com>,
oberon@solstice.com says...

> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>
> They are boring to read

So don't.


--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 12:56:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In <1123503176.745026.58980@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> "Pythor" <pythor@gmail.com> writes:

>Note from the table, a roll of 00 results in both a Wise Sage and a
>Troll. Sounds about right for some of the discussions.

DC 18 wisdom check to work out which is which :) 

--
Remove any bits of tatt after the at in my address to reply
August 10, 2005 4:03:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 14:08:14 +0200, Jasin Zujovic
<jzujovic@inet.hr> wrote:

>In article <nnpgf15eep7bi9bdod0tg4d6mud2rmh03r@4ax.com>,
>oberon@solstice.com says...
>
>> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>>
>> They are boring to read
>
>So don't.

And the point of your post was?
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:25:06 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
oberon@solstice.com says...

> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
> >>
> >> They are boring to read
> >
> >So don't.
>
> And the point of your post was?

That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions being
boring to read should find something more constructive to do with their
time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off, or something.


--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr
August 12, 2005 6:27:31 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
dared speak in front of ME:

>In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
>oberon@solstice.com says...
>
>> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>> >>
>> >> They are boring to read
>> >
>> >So don't.
>>
>> And the point of your post was?
>
>That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions being
>boring to read should find something more constructive to do with their
>time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off,

Lets see.
Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining
Stare at wall - boring.
"Jarking"<sic> off - boring.


Hard choice.
--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 4:16:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Kaos wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
> dared speak in front of ME:
>
> >In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
> >oberon@solstice.com says...
> >
> >> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
> >> >>
> >> >> They are boring to read
> >> >
> >> >So don't.
> >>
> >> And the point of your post was?
> >
> >That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions being
> >boring to read should find something more constructive to do with their
> >time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off,
>
> Lets see.
> Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining

Only if you are mentally disturbed. Ridiculing a person for
entertainment is not a sign of a healthy mind.

Brandon
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:41:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

No 33 Secretary wrote:
> "copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com> wrote in
> news:1123874192.869898.239870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Kaos wrote:
> >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
> >> dared speak in front of ME:
> >>
> >> >In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
> >> >oberon@solstice.com says...
> >> >
> >> >> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
> >> >> >>
> >> >> >> They are boring to read
> >> >> >
> >> >> >So don't.
> >> >>
> >> >> And the point of your post was?
> >> >
> >> >That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions
> >> >being boring to read should find something more constructive to do
> >> >with their time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off,
> >>
> >> Lets see.
> >> Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining
> >
> > Only if you are mentally disturbed. Ridiculing a person for
> > entertainment is not a sign of a healthy mind.
> >
> Really? Where did you get your degree in psychology from? What research can
> you cite to support that, that has been conducted by qualified scientists?
>
> Hint, 'tard-boy: *All* comedy is based on ridiculuing someone.

Which is why most "comedy" is not funny. The only really funny comics
are the ones willing to make fun of themselves. Comics like Andrew
"Dice" Clay are incapable of this and the jarring lack of humor in
their routines bear this out.

Brandon
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:26:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1123874192.869898.239870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> Kaos wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
>> dared speak in front of ME:
>>
>> >In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
>> >oberon@solstice.com says...
>> >
>> >> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>> >> >>
>> >> >> They are boring to read
>> >> >
>> >> >So don't.
>> >>
>> >> And the point of your post was?
>> >
>> >That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions
>> >being boring to read should find something more constructive to do
>> >with their time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off,
>>
>> Lets see.
>> Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining
>
> Only if you are mentally disturbed. Ridiculing a person for
> entertainment is not a sign of a healthy mind.
>
Really? Where did you get your degree in psychology from? What research can
you cite to support that, that has been conducted by qualified scientists?

Hint, 'tard-boy: *All* comedy is based on ridiculuing someone.

--
Terry Austin
www.hyperbooks.com
Campaign Cartographer now available
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 1:05:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 12 Aug 2005 12:16:32 -0700, "copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Kaos wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
>> dared speak in front of ME:
>>
>> >In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
>> >oberon@solstice.com says...
>> >
>> >> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>> >> >>
>> >> >> They are boring to read
>> >> >
>> >> >So don't.
>> >>
>> >> And the point of your post was?
>> >
>> >That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions being
>> >boring to read should find something more constructive to do with their
>> >time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off,
>>
>> Lets see.
>> Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining
>
>Only if you are mentally disturbed. Ridiculing a person for
>entertainment is not a sign of a healthy mind.

30 years of Weekend Update says different.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:47:12 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

copeab@yahoo.com <copeab@yahoo.com> wrote:
> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>>
>> Hint, 'tard-boy: *All* comedy is based on ridiculuing someone.
>
> Which is why most "comedy" is not funny. The only really funny comics
> are the ones willing to make fun of themselves.

Self-ridicule is still ridicule.


Keith
--
Keith Davies "Trying to sway him from his current kook-
keith.davies@kjdavies.org rant with facts is like trying to create
keith.davies@gmail.com a vacuum in a room by pushing the air
http://www.kjdavies.org/ out with your hands." -- Matt Frisch
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 4:32:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:1123893697.519537.61080@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> No 33 Secretary wrote:
>> "copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> news:1123874192.869898.239870@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > Kaos wrote:
>> >> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic
>> >> <jzujovic@inet.hr> dared speak in front of ME:
>> >>
>> >> >In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
>> >> >oberon@solstice.com says...
>> >> >
>> >> >> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>> >> >> >>
>> >> >> >> They are boring to read
>> >> >> >
>> >> >> >So don't.
>> >> >>
>> >> >> And the point of your post was?
>> >> >
>> >> >That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies'
>> >> >questions being boring to read should find something more
>> >> >constructive to do with their time, like staring at the wall, or
>> >> >jarking off,
>> >>
>> >> Lets see.
>> >> Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining
>> >
>> > Only if you are mentally disturbed. Ridiculing a person for
>> > entertainment is not a sign of a healthy mind.
>> >
>> Really? Where did you get your degree in psychology from? What
>> research can you cite to support that, that has been conducted by
>> qualified scientists?
>>
>> Hint, 'tard-boy: *All* comedy is based on ridiculuing someone.
>
> Which is why most "comedy" is not funny.

Stugeon's law applies.

But you have just admitted that *some* comedy *is* funny, while agreeing
that *all* comedy is based on ridiculing someone.

Which is to say, you've agreed with me.

But then, you *know* I'm always right, from hard earned experience.

Plus, you're my bitch, as always.

--
Terry Austin
http://www.hyperbooks.com/
Campaign Cartographer Now Available
August 14, 2005 8:04:49 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 12 Aug 2005 12:16:32 -0700, "copeab@yahoo.com" <copeab@yahoo.com>
dared speak in front of ME:

>Kaos wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:25:06 +0200, Jasin Zujovic <jzujovic@inet.hr>
>> dared speak in front of ME:
>>
>> >In article <d8rjf19auat9dcrrhubt7o69qds85qq0rm@4ax.com>,
>> >oberon@solstice.com says...
>> >
>> >> >> >What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers?
>> >> >>
>> >> >> They are boring to read
>> >> >
>> >> >So don't.
>> >>
>> >> And the point of your post was?
>> >
>> >That people who flame newbies on account of the newbies' questions being
>> >boring to read should find something more constructive to do with their
>> >time, like staring at the wall, or jarking off,
>>
>> Lets see.
>> Flame newbie for asking obvious question - entertaining
>
>Only if you are mentally disturbed.

Actually, by the standards most often used to determine who is or is
not mentally disturbed (basically, how far said person falls from
'normal' society,) it's the other way around.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net

--
Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com&lt;<<<<<------
Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:46:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

>> > It is incredibly pompous even for you to imply that you speak for
>> > everyone here, you incredibly pompous git.
>>
>> It is incredibly pathetic even for you to complain about MSB's
>> pomposity.
>
> It is incredibly pompous even for you to think that you are, in your
> pomposity, beyond reproach. You incredibly pompous git.

*winces and mimes fish hook*
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:46:13 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <4300250f_1@news.iprimus.com.au>, elfbard@iprimus.com.au
says...

> >> > It is incredibly pompous even for you to imply that you speak for
> >> > everyone here, you incredibly pompous git.
> >>
> >> It is incredibly pathetic even for you to complain about MSB's
> >> pomposity.
> >
> > It is incredibly pompous even for you to think that you are, in your
> > pomposity, beyond reproach. You incredibly pompous git.
>
> *winces and mimes fish hook*

Are you saying Micheal is trolling me?


--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 3:10:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> Bradd wrote:
> >> My newsreader has been broken. Mainly because my workstation, web
> >> server, mailserver, etc. have been broken. I'm finally getting around
> >> to fixing them now. Hopefully, I'll be done before Christmas.
>
> Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> > Now that was careless, wasn't it? :) 
>
> More than you know! I suspect that I fried my web & mail server by
> dusting it (or maybe just by moving it -- I hadn't touched the box
> literally in years). I had been planning to replace all my existing
> hardware with new stuff for convenience & security's sake -- separate
> the Windows & Linux workstation, get a real firewall, etc. I started out
> by upgrading my Windows (game) box, planning to do the Linux machines
> later. Unfortunately, when I moved & cleaned the old server, I think I
> rattled & zapped the disk too much, and it started failing soon after.
> I've had the new hardware for a while (using Shuttle XPC "toasters" for
> the Linux boxes; I have mixed feelings about the toasters, long story),
> but I just haven't had the energy and ambition to get everything
> installed.
>

I've lost at least 2 computers to "cleaning" them. I try not to do it
any more.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 6:49:51 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.

Hey! My newsreader has been broken. Mainly because my workstation, web
server, mailserver, etc. have been broken. I'm finally getting around to
fixing them now. Hopefully, I'll be done before Christmas.
--
Bradd
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 8:59:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd W. Szonye <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.
>
> Hey! My newsreader has been broken. Mainly because my workstation, web
> server, mailserver, etc. have been broken. I'm finally getting around to
> fixing them now. Hopefully, I'll be done before Christmas.

if you're interested, I've still got that .slrnrc you sent me. At
least, the changed version I use. I think I may even have the original,
unmodified one though.


Keith
--
Keith Davies "Trying to sway him from his current kook-
keith.davies@kjdavies.org rant with facts is like trying to create
keith.davies@gmail.com a vacuum in a room by pushing the air
http://www.kjdavies.org/ out with your hands." -- Matt Frisch
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:53:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>> I suspect that I fried my web & mail server by dusting it (or maybe
>> just by moving it -- I hadn't touched the box literally in years).

Justisaur wrote:
> I've lost at least 2 computers to "cleaning" them. I try not to do it
> any more.

I usually use canned air for dusting, which minimizes problems with
static electricity. However, this machine had about three years worth of
dust compacted into the front grille. There was an access slot below the
grille, so I stupidly shoved a duster inside and cleaned it out. Seemed
like a good idea at the time, but not so smart a couple days later.

I can't know for certain that the duster fried the disk, but it seems
likely. I won't have that problem with my new Windows box: I bought an
Antec P160 case, which has a dust filter in the air-intake vent. I
opened the case the other day for cleaning, and it looked pristine --
looks like the filter stopped everything.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 9:56:59 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd wrote:
>> Hey! My newsreader has been broken. Mainly because my workstation, web
>> server, mailserver, etc. have been broken. I'm finally getting around to
>> fixing them now. Hopefully, I'll be done before Christmas.

Keith Davies wrote:
> if you're interested, I've still got that .slrnrc you sent me. At
> least, the changed version I use. I think I may even have the
> original, unmodified one though.

Luckily, I didn't lose any of my personal configuration settings. Most
of them were on my workstation, not my server. (I lost the workstation a
while back to an entirely different disk problem. Bad memory confused
the system, leaving the filesystem in an untrustworthy state, but
luckily it seemed clean when I pulled the data off.) My mail & news
configuration were on the server, but luckily that part of the disk
suffered little damage.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 5:48:40 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd wrote:
>> I can't know for certain that the duster fried the disk, but it seems
>> likely. I won't have that problem with my new Windows box: I bought an
>> Antec P160 case, which has a dust filter in the air-intake vent. I
>> opened the case the other day for cleaning, and it looked pristine --
>> looks like the filter stopped everything.

Justisaur wrote:
> Yeah, I keep thinking of installing filters in my computers. You
> restrict the air flow a bit with that though.

That's why it's important to keep the filter clean! Anyway, with a
proper fan setup, that shouldn't be a problem.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:57:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Behold! for "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> spake unto the
multitude thus:

>More than you know! I suspect that I fried my web & mail server by
>dusting it (or maybe just by moving it -- I hadn't touched the box
>literally in years).

A similar thing happened to me. My PC (which hadn't moved for 7
years) was rather full of dust when I moved house a few weeks ago.
Despite my handling it quite carefully, I must have dislodged enough
for it to short out the power supply. So when I plugged it bacvk in
there was a fizzing noise, a burning smell and no life. A new PSU and
all is well (except the printer doesn't work; god knows what's wrong
with that).

>And I do recommend building that Linux box.

When I finally get a new PC, it'll be that Linux box. No way am I
going to get WinXP or Vista.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 9:57:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd wrote:
>> And I do recommend building that Linux box.

Jim Davies wrote:
> When I finally get a new PC, it'll be that Linux box. No way am I
> going to get WinXP or Vista.

I actually like XP, with the right tools installed (i.e., Firefox, Vim,
Cygwin's ssh & X server for remote connections). And for those looking
to build a new Linux box, be warned that Fedora Core 4 has a nasty bug
in its video drivers that causes problems ranging from mild annoyance to
complete unusability, depending on what graphics chipset your machine
uses. (There's a workaround available on Bugzilla -- sorry, don't have
the bug # handy -- but on some systems even getting that far can be a
problem.)
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Jim Davies <jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> wrote:
> Behold! for "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com> spake unto the
> multitude thus:
>
>>More than you know! I suspect that I fried my web & mail server by
>>dusting it (or maybe just by moving it -- I hadn't touched the box
>>literally in years).
>
> A similar thing happened to me. My PC (which hadn't moved for 7
> years) was rather full of dust when I moved house a few weeks ago.
> Despite my handling it quite carefully, I must have dislodged enough
> for it to short out the power supply. So when I plugged it bacvk in
> there was a fizzing noise, a burning smell and no life. A new PSU and
> all is well (except the printer doesn't work; god knows what's wrong
> with that).

I once bumped my old firewall when the case was open. It tried to
literally become a firewall -- a big clump of dust fell into the CPU
fan, clogged it just long enough to catch fire. It flared and the fan
was able to move again, but I tell you, that was *exciting*.

>>And I do recommend building that Linux box.
>
> When I finally get a new PC, it'll be that Linux box. No way am I
> going to get WinXP or Vista.

Right now I use a (patched, AV, firewalled) XP box as my workstation,
behind a hardware firewall. I don't entirely trust Windows software
firewalls because they sit on top of Windows, but a second layer doesn't
hurt anything.

I had to get Windows for a contract I was working on, Cygwin's come a
long way and includes xorg, so after building cthulhu (gentoo Linux box)
I run all my X apps there, displayed to my workstation here. I get to
use Linux tools whenever I want, I can use Windows tools whenever I
want... I'm good to go.

(And before anyone points out that naming my server after a Great Old
One is a mistake, I'll have you know that it's quite possibly the most
resilient machine I've got in this office right now, even though it's
cobbled together from old(er) parts rather than constructed new -- last
power flicker we had, everyone other machine went down, cthulhu didn't
even notice.)


Keith
--
Keith Davies "Trying to sway him from his current kook-
keith.davies@kjdavies.org rant with facts is like trying to create
keith.davies@gmail.com a vacuum in a room by pushing the air
http://www.kjdavies.org/ out with your hands." -- Matt Frisch
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:13:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Keith Davies said

> Right now I use a (patched, AV, firewalled) XP box as my workstation,
> behind a hardware firewall. I don't entirely trust Windows software
> firewalls because they sit on top of Windows, but a second layer doesn't
> hurt anything.

The main benefit handing the task off to a hardware firewall is the speed
increase on your workstation. I noticed the difference immediately when I
put my router\firewall in. As I didn't need a fully featured firewall on
the PC I removed it and turned on the WinXP firewall. This bought me a
second speed increase while not relying solely on the anti-virus software
to protect the machine.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:13:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Robert Singers <rsingers@finger.hotmail.com> wrote:
> Between saving the world and having a spot of tea Keith Davies said
>
>> Right now I use a (patched, AV, firewalled) XP box as my workstation,
>> behind a hardware firewall. I don't entirely trust Windows software
>> firewalls because they sit on top of Windows, but a second layer doesn't
>> hurt anything.
>
> The main benefit handing the task off to a hardware firewall is the
> speed increase on your workstation. I noticed the difference
> immediately when I put my router\firewall in. As I didn't need a
> fully featured firewall on the PC I removed it and turned on the WinXP
> firewall. This bought me a second speed increase while not relying
> solely on the anti-virus software to protect the machine.

I had been using a Linux box as my 'real' firewall before that, so the
increase in security was minimal. However, I wanted to get rid of that
machine when I put my new server in so I bought the switch (which has
firewalling built-in).


Keith
--
Keith Davies "Trying to sway him from his current kook-
keith.davies@kjdavies.org rant with facts is like trying to create
keith.davies@gmail.com a vacuum in a room by pushing the air
http://www.kjdavies.org/ out with your hands." -- Matt Frisch
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 9:48:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.
>
>
> Hey! My newsreader has been broken. Mainly because my workstation, web
> server, mailserver, etc. have been broken. I'm finally getting around to
> fixing them now. Hopefully, I'll be done before Christmas.

Bradd! Welcome back. Hope you get your stuff fixed soon.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:51:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:57:16 +0100, Jim Davies
<jim@aaargh.NoBleedinSpam.org> carved upon a tablet of ether:

> When I finally get a new PC, it'll be that Linux box. No way am I
> going to get WinXP or Vista.

I'm using XP, but I think if there's ever a need to re-install I'll
revert to Win2K, assuming I haven't got things to the point where
linux is an option.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
"Just because the truth will set you free doesn't mean the truth itself
should be free."
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:22:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

DougL wrote:
> Justisaur wrote:
>
>>John Rudd wrote:
>>
>>>pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
>>>
>>>>Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?
>>>
>>>
>>>Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd
>>>
>>> 0-40 Troll
>>>41-70 Flame Elemental
>>>71-90 Mindless Zombie
>>>91-98 Blathering Narcisist
>>>99-00 Wise Sage
>>
>>You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.
>
>
> MSB sometimes does that in his spare time after he fills much of
> the 1-70 encounters.

I'd say MSB can be encountered on rolls from 41-70 and 91-00.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:24:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:

> DougL wrote:
>
>>Justisaur wrote:
>>
>>>John Rudd wrote:
>>>
>>>>pjmcgurk@gate.net wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Has anyone produced and encounter table for rec.games.frp.dnd ?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Random Encounters in rec.games.frp.dnd
>>>>
>>>> 0-40 Troll
>>>>41-70 Flame Elemental
>>>>71-90 Mindless Zombie
>>>>91-98 Blathering Narcisist
>>>>99-00 Wise Sage
>>>
>>>You left out Rabid WotC Fanboi... although Bradd hasn't posted lately.
>>
>>MSB sometimes does that in his spare time after he fills much of
>>the 1-70 encounters.
>>
>>
>>>There's a wise sage here? I'll be damned.
>>
>>Quite likely you will be, ask Jack Chick.
>
>
> BLACK LEAF!!! *sobs uncontrollably*
>
>
>>Regarding the wise
>>sage posts I post here, so obviously there are some intelligent
>>posts, one might even say I am actually above the wise sage on
>>that list.
>
>
> I think calling it "Wise Sage" was a good move on John's part. This
> way, everyone can imagine it refers to them. :) 
>
>
>>Try this:
>
>
> <snip>
>
> Nice!
>
>
>>15 Flame war after Moron asks question easily answered by 6 seconds
>> of actually reading the rules
>
>
> Ah. A rant on this subject has long been simmering in me. Time to let
> it out.
>
> What's wrong with questions that have obvious answers? I could
> understand it if this newsgroup was "for D&D veterans only". But it's
> not, and I don't know many regulars (yes, I know there are a few) who
> consciously _want_ newbies to stay away from this NG.
>
> And yet, by ridiculing simple questions, that's exactly the impression
> a newbie would get. They are not welcome here, their questions and
> views aren't welcome here. Is this a good thing? I don't think so.
> Newbies (to D&D, not the NG) can have a lot to offer.

This is well said, and the general opinion of many of my friends IRL who
do NOT post here.


> D&D rules are not simple. They are very difficult. Most of us don't see
> this anymore, because a lot of them are second nature. But D&D is one
> of the most complicated games I know of. And I'm a games enthusiast.
>
> A coupl of years ago, I was a rules guru on
> rec.games.trading-cards.magic.rules. We had an unwritten rule, that we
> answered all (non-trollish) rules questions, no matter how obvious. And
> we answered them politely. And I don't see why that would be a bad
> policy for this newsgroup.

Agreed.


> We were all newbies once. For many (most) people, learning by asking
> questions is a _lot_ easier than learning by reading hundreds of pages
> of rules.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 5:26:49 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Jerry Chesko wrote:

>>>We were all newbies once. For many (most) people, learning by asking
>>>questions is a _lot_ easier than learning by reading hundreds of pages
>>>of rules.
>
>
> My experience tells me that there are three types of learners:
> 1) Do-it-yourselfer: The one who'll read through the manual a dozen time
> before going on to actually attemping whatever endevour is in front of them.
> These tend to be type-a personalities as well.

Stinking Type-A bastards. Pity they'll never be the target of a
genocidal extermination, since they're all so busy orchestrating them.


> 2) Observer: This type watches over the shoulder of an experienced
> individual asking (if only to the 'teacher') good, possibly innane,
> questions. This one also tends to get chased out of places after getting on
> the nerves of the 'volunteered' teacher

Hmm.


> 3) Trial and Error: This could be the most dangerous type of learner, since
> they dive in sometimes without bothering to read any safety precautions or
> manuals. This leading to mostly humorous, sometimes disastrous, results.

Ah. Gnomes.


> Also, I've seen people shift beween them, mine tend to be one and two (potty
> jokes not included)
>
> Here in RGFD, I've noticed an overwhelming amount, probably a result of the
> medium, of the Observer. However, I've also noticed that novice Observers
> tend to get knocked around a bit since they'll chime in about something that
> might have already been answered up-post.

Hmm.

- Ron ^*^
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:10:30 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Some Guy <someguy@thedoor.gov> wrote:
> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>> Hey! My newsreader has been broken. Mainly because my workstation, web
>> server, mailserver, etc. have been broken. I'm finally getting around to
>> fixing them now. Hopefully, I'll be done before Christmas.
>
> Bradd! Welcome back. Hope you get your stuff fixed soon.

Thanks!
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:23:14 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:53:30 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>>> I suspect that I fried my web & mail server by dusting it (or maybe
>>> just by moving it -- I hadn't touched the box literally in years).
>
>Justisaur wrote:
>> I've lost at least 2 computers to "cleaning" them. I try not to do it
>> any more.
>
>I usually use canned air for dusting, which minimizes problems with
>static electricity. However, this machine had about three years worth of
>dust compacted into the front grille. There was an access slot below the
>grille, so I stupidly shoved a duster inside and cleaned it out. Seemed
>like a good idea at the time, but not so smart a couple days later.

The air access ports for computers just get plain icky after a while. I end
up taking it completely apart and shaking it out (away from anything
delicate inside) to avoid this.

However, there's no way to get away from the fact that it is really gross.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:52:15 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd wrote:
>> When I first got the toasters [Shuttle XPCs], they were super-noisy,
>> but a BIOS update fixed that.

Rupert Boleyn wrote:
> I might mention that to my ex-flatmate next time I see him.

I don't know if it's common to all Shuttle toasters, but it was
definitely a problem with the SB81P. Mine still growl loudly once when
you first start them up, but then the BIOS drops the fan speed to a more
reasonable level. (The original BIOS also failed to recognize USB
keyboards, which is a stupid mistake. Don't people test these things?)
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 8:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd wrote:
>> I usually use canned air for dusting, which minimizes problems with
>> static electricity. However, this machine had about three years worth
>> of dust compacted into the front grille. There was an access slot
>> below the grille, so I stupidly shoved a duster inside and cleaned it
>> out. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but not so smart a couple
>> days later.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> The air access ports for computers just get plain icky after a while.
> I end up taking it completely apart and shaking it out (away from
> anything delicate inside) to avoid this.
>
> However, there's no way to get away from the fact that it is really
> gross.

Heh. I'm allergic to dust, but I don't find it icky or disturbing.
However, my wife is seriously afraid of dust bunnies, so I get to do
most of the dusting.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:34:22 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:55:27 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com>
scribed into the ether:

>Bradd wrote:
>>> I usually use canned air for dusting, which minimizes problems with
>>> static electricity. However, this machine had about three years worth
>>> of dust compacted into the front grille. There was an access slot
>>> below the grille, so I stupidly shoved a duster inside and cleaned it
>>> out. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but not so smart a couple
>>> days later.
>
>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> The air access ports for computers just get plain icky after a while.
>> I end up taking it completely apart and shaking it out (away from
>> anything delicate inside) to avoid this.
>>
>> However, there's no way to get away from the fact that it is really
>> gross.
>
>Heh. I'm allergic to dust, but I don't find it icky or disturbing.
>However, my wife is seriously afraid of dust bunnies, so I get to do
>most of the dusting.

It's just that I read a statistic once that some crazy high percentage of
household dust (in the 90s) was shed skin. Combined with the rest of it
being obviously hair, and shed hair is icky to me as well, and the whole
process just nauseates me. Even a fairly short period of time like 5-6
months, and the dust blanket over the air ports can be as much as a half an
inch thick. It looks a bit like fibreglass insulation, actually...until it
falls apart.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:48:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Bradd wrote:
>> Heh. I'm allergic to dust, but I don't find it icky or disturbing.
>> However, my wife is seriously afraid of dust bunnies, so I get to do
>> most of the dusting.

Matt Frisch wrote:
> It's just that I read a statistic once that some crazy high percentage
> of household dust (in the 90s) was shed skin. Combined with the rest
> of it being obviously hair, and shed hair is icky to me as well, and
> the whole process just nauseates me.

Eh, it's just floor dandruff!
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:40:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:55:27 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye" <bradd+news@szonye.com>
> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Bradd wrote:
>>>> I usually use canned air for dusting, which minimizes problems with
>>>> static electricity. However, this machine had about three years worth
>>>> of dust compacted into the front grille. There was an access slot
>>>> below the grille, so I stupidly shoved a duster inside and cleaned it
>>>> out. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but not so smart a couple
>>>> days later.
>>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>> The air access ports for computers just get plain icky after a while.
>>> I end up taking it completely apart and shaking it out (away from
>>> anything delicate inside) to avoid this.
>>>
>>> However, there's no way to get away from the fact that it is really
>>> gross.
>>
>>Heh. I'm allergic to dust, but I don't find it icky or disturbing.
>>However, my wife is seriously afraid of dust bunnies, so I get to do
>>most of the dusting.
>
> It's just that I read a statistic once that some crazy high percentage
> of household dust (in the 90s) was shed skin. Combined with the rest
> of it being obviously hair, and shed hair is icky to me as well, and
> the whole process just nauseates me. Even a fairly short period of
> time like 5-6 months, and the dust blanket over the air ports can be
> as much as a half an inch thick. It looks a bit like fibreglass
> insulation, actually...until it falls apart.

Not 90%. A lot of it is actually dust mites -- wee beasties that live
*on* the shed skin -- and their body parts and excrement.

Not that that'll make you feel any better.


Keith
--
Keith Davies "Trying to sway him from his current kook-
keith.davies@kjdavies.org rant with facts is like trying to create
keith.davies@gmail.com a vacuum in a room by pushing the air
http://www.kjdavies.org/ out with your hands." -- Matt Frisch
      • 1 / 2
      • 2
      • Newest
!