XP's fried on me?

fozz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Hey all.
Ok, here is what I did...
I removed my Volcano6Cu fansink and took the CPU out.
I took the fan off the Volcano6 and attached a 60-80mm converter and stuck an 80mm fan on that. Thing is, I put it on so that the fan was blowing out, not in - the original fan was blowing in...
Anyway, I put in an XP1700 and re-attached the fansink properly and connected it all up.
On powering on the PC I got no video....the video can take 10 secs or so to initialize so i waited.
Then I smelt burning!
Then the PC beeped and powered off and I was left with smoke coming outa the case!
I removed the fansink etc and took the CPU out and the smell of burn off it was nasty!
So I assumed that it was well wrecked and I put my XP1600 back in, reversed the fan on the fansink to what it should be and re-attached that and off I went again.
Booted up...got the BIOS.
YAY.
Everything looked good in there and I powered the PC off as I wanted to put the side back on.
Then I boot it up again, got no video and got smoke again (less this time) and that CPU is now fried!

What a joke!
Now, what i think is the problem is the fact that the sink must not have been flush with the CPU's...so they had nowhere to xfer their heat to so they burned out.
I think this happened as I used no thermal paste...but then, there was no thermal paste on it originally as far as I saw....so what do all you guys think?
I have ordered a new XP2100 and a cheap Duron 1100, and I will be able to test on the Duron when I get it to get that working fine before I risk the 2100. (I need two CPU's anyway so I really dont wanna fry the Duron if I can at all help it!).

Please advise guys!

My specs are:
SOYO Dragon+ 266Mhz MoBo.
XP1600 (fried!)
512mb PC2100 DDR
ATI Radeon 8500

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Umm considering that athlon XP's produce a lotta heat, I think you should have been using some thermal paste. Although still I shouldnt think it should get so hot as to burn out. It would be unlucky if two CPUs got burned because two times you put the HSF on. I almost did that once. I powered up an MSI 745 ultra, it immediately shut itself off. took off the hsf, and it was only touching the core in one place. Luckily that mobo has thermal protection otherwise I would hve had to buy a new AXP.

TheGame

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2002
......lol. sorry dude but i can just see you sitting there and smoke coming out the side of your case. lol, sorry, was there anything on the heatsink? like a pad?

-TheGame-

fozz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Yea man, I have to say, I saw the funny side myself!
On the bottom of the sink there is some darker very thin material about where the cpu would contact....it doesn't really come off either.
It just surprises me that a CPU with a sink attached (and I mean, it was clipped on correctly so there must have been sonme contact between the core and the sink) could possibly burn out so fast?!

Like, if the sink was not contacting fully, say, then I would expect the PC to boot and maybe lockup etc, but not for the core to smoke and burn out in about 20-30 seconds...what you reckon?

When I take delivery of the two new CPU's I will put arctic silver on the core and squish the sink down onto it and have the 80mm fan blowing like (insert expletive here!) down on it.
I just hope that this works for me....if the CPU's continue to burn then I'll be at a loss!

Ciaran.

br408408

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Clean everything off the heatsink first...don't just slap on some compound. Use a plastic razor blade and Brake Clean...you can get both at an auto parts store. For the plastic razor you might have to go to a "real" auto parts store such as NAPA and not an Auto Zone/ Discount...etc. Then use Arctic Silver 3 or an other good thermal compound. AMD XP's make a LOT of heat...this can not be taken lightly or your CPU may not last more than a few seconds

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by br408408 on 11/25/02 10:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
"hink this happened as I used no thermal paste...but then, there was no thermal paste on it originally as far as I saw....so what do all you guys think?"

Holy Jesus Mary Mother of God.

D...U...D...E

Dude.

dude.

I'm not laughing. It's not even a little funny. Jesus.

It's like on that movie "The Thing", where MacReddy says, "Why don't you put your trust in the Lord.", and Blair says, "Watch Clark."

It really makes you sweat.

Two processors. Dude. That makes me sweat just thinking about it.

Not funny.

Use thermal paste.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I think this happened as I used no thermal paste...but then, there was no thermal paste on it originally as far as I saw....so what do all you guys think?
WHAAAAAT??????

I thought you were kidding...

You MUST ALWAYS use some thermal interface between CPU and heatsink (a pad at least or better a thermal paste)

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Most heatsinks are shipped with a pad or some thin thermal tape. The tape is ruined once you take off the heatsink for the first time and you need to then use thermal paste if you are to re-use it.

I bet that it DID have thermal tape originally because once it is removed, there are often very few remains of it. Unfortunately your mobo didn't have thermal protection for the cpu... or if it did, something malfunctioned on it. Sorry, but that has to stink.

fozz

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2002
Lamoni...yea...there is a black "pad" on the bottom of the sink...very thin.
I am thinking that whatever paste etc they used had solidified after a years use and was clearly of no use/was just not there when I put the sink back on the cpu.....man, was really dumb of me.
I have new CPU's on the way and some Arctic Silver 3 also....I'll let y'all know how I get on and if I fry any more CPU's then I'll just hang my head in shame and cry!
Later.
Ciaran.