What's equivalent to optiplex????

I'm leaning toward buying a Dell Optiplex, because I want more drive
bays than a Dimension offers since I'm planning to set up a music
server. But, damn, the prices on Dimension are so amazing and getting
even more amazing. What other models should I be looking at from other
manufacturers that are relatively low priced but still semi-flexible
when it comes to upgrading???

You don't want Optiplex for this. Look at the PowerEdge servers.

"Higgins" <jmhiggins@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm leaning toward buying a Dell Optiplex, because I want more drive
> bays than a Dimension offers since I'm planning to set up a music
> server. But, damn, the prices on Dimension are so amazing and getting
> even more amazing. What other models should I be looking at from other
> manufacturers that are relatively low priced but still semi-flexible
> when it comes to upgrading???

FWIW, there are no more drive bays available in the Optiplex than in the
comparable Dimension models (ie- Optiplex GX280 mini tower versus Dimension
8400 ).

Glancing at the Gateway site, it looks like you're looking at similar entry,
mid, and top level systems (and dollars).

Or, if you have an OS and want the same case basic specs as the Dimension
8300 (875 chipset, dual channel, with default 8mb AGP card), then look over
on ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/dell-400SC_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

Stew

I built a media server with a Dimension 2400 and four external USB2 drives.
Works well and is quieter.

Tom