Sign in with
Your question

Please help!

Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2002 7:48:51 PM

Hi-
I had to replace the fan on my processor because one of the blades was cracked, well after i got the new fan on nothing happened, the screen stayed blank all the panel lights stayed on and the floppy drive light was on. The fans ands everything worked fine. I realized that I forgot to take the sticker off the bottom of the fan, so I quickly took that off but still nothing happens. Did I fry the CPU that quickly? Or could it be something else. Please help I'm going out of my mind. The processor is an Amd Xp 2000 and an Asus A7v333 board. Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul

More about : question

November 25, 2002 8:05:06 PM

If you just messed with the fan (not the heatsink itself), then doubtful. An Athlon can usually last at least a few minutes with just passive cooling, even if the fan fails.

If you messed with the heatsink and didn't seat it back on properly, then it would only take a second or so for your Athlon to fry. The A7V333 should keep this from happening though, as it has built-in CPU overheat protection (Asus C.O.P.).

It's likely that your motherboard refuses to boot without a fan attached to the "CPU fan" header. If you connected the new fan to a different header, or you connected it straight to the PSU via the 4-pin Molex connector, the board will probably refuse to boot. This is the proper and correct thing for it to do; you just have to make sure you have your CPU fan connected properly.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
November 25, 2002 8:14:31 PM

I did replace the heatsink as well, and I plugged it into the same plug that the old fan was plugged in to. I wouldn't think the Cpu would fry; the case was open so its not like it was building up heat or anything. The cpu looks fine but I don't know if there is any way to know if it is fried or not.
Related resources
November 25, 2002 8:14:31 PM

I did replace the heatsink as well, and I plugged it into the same plug that the old fan was plugged in to. I wouldn't think the Cpu would fry; the case was open so its not like it was building up heat or anything. The cpu looks fine but I don't know if there is any way to know if it is fried or not.
November 25, 2002 8:14:33 PM

November 25, 2002 10:30:50 PM

If you did not take the sticker off, it would be almost like having no heatsink it all, and the cpu would fry in a few seconds.
November 26, 2002 1:29:16 AM

companies need not to put the stickers on the bottoms of the heatsinks! put em on the side or don't put em on at all, we know what we bought!
not that anyone here can change that, but you know how rants go...
November 26, 2002 1:36:57 AM

Seriously... if you left a sticker on the bottom of the Heatsink (I don't have a clue why there was a sticker there unless you mean the thermal paste with plastic cover that is mounted on some cheapy heatsinks), your Athlon is gone man.... those things fry in under a second without a heatsink.... which leaving a plastic sleave or a sticker on the bottom of the heatsink is just about the same as.

When you take the heatsink off the CPU, you'll see a lot of melted mess more than likely.

This shitty part is I am pretty sure that is not covered by any warrantly/return policy.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tastim on 11/25/02 10:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
!