Sign in with
Your question

SSE2 optimization

Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2002 9:30:33 PM

You guys have any idea what benches or programs are SSE2 optimized. I cant really find anything out using google.

THanks.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

More about : sse2 optimization

November 25, 2002 9:35:51 PM

Lightwave 7.5b seems to be heavily optimized for SSE2 (SSE2 in specific too, not SSE). It shows in the benchmarks.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
November 26, 2002 1:47:18 AM

3dS Max 5.

Basically the majority of multimedia applications, that render, encode or convert, take good care of SSE2.
There is little so far for gaming, though I didn't know SSE2 also provided image quality enhancement as shown by ol' Tommy for Black & White.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem
Related resources
November 26, 2002 10:50:11 AM

Transitioning from Integer to FP was certainly since you could make precision, but I don't know about current FP technology.

--
November 26, 2002 11:35:42 AM

Don't forget photoshop filters, Flask (MPEG encoder), LAME etc.

Wonder when we'll see the results?

L
November 26, 2002 9:25:17 PM

encoding/converting... interesting. Ok, well I need to test some SSE2 performance and needed software to do it with. thanks guys.

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
November 27, 2002 1:11:45 AM

You're not by any chance trying to test/speculate the Hammer SSE2 performance now are you?

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 11/26/02 10:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 27, 2002 2:04:44 AM

after my experience with Tom's regs last time I posted something, Im going refrain from answering that question. But your help is appreciated.

November 27, 2002 2:38:28 AM

Lightwave 7.5b has been the most SSE2 intensive application I've seen (as far as real-world applications). Seeing how even a <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1746&p=18" target="_new">1.8a P4</A> managed to render a scene faster than a 2.25 GHz Athlon. Proof of concept that software optimization is everything.

November 27, 2002 3:26:05 AM

Proof of concept that software optimization is everything.

It also who is plague IA-64 control speculation and load speculation is software base simulation as to go trought hardware monitoring or improving ISA.It prof that a old CPu base on a beef-up P6 can still be very fast on benchmark.Thing change under spec CPU where compiling must be done and made with the lastest and greatest compiler and hand made optimization.

Now what to do??
November 27, 2002 3:49:07 AM

Now what to do? Force software developers to yet again change their coding philosophy, that's what. And guess who's gonna do it.....

November 27, 2002 3:00:59 PM

Quote:
Now what to do? Force software developers to yet again change their coding philosophy, that's what. And guess who's gonna do it.....

Minor correction: Forse software developers <i>who care</i> to yet again change their coding philosophy. The problem is, there are way too many coders out there who either don't care, or worse, don't even <i>know enough</i> to care.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
November 27, 2002 4:03:59 PM

Oh what a pity if they were to work for their money. Now this could be just my stereotype but today’s programmers are very lax and lazy. I know 3 programmers and they all have this philosophy "do less for more, cause the client's aren’t smart enough to know otherwise" makes you think.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spud on 11/27/02 01:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 27, 2002 5:23:25 PM

Quote:
Now this could be just my stereotype but today’s programmers are very lax and lazy.

Understatement of the century. Not just that, but they wouldn't know the meaning of the word 'optimization' if you hit them over the head with a dictionary and wrote the definition on their forehead in indelible ink.

It drives me nuts when I hear the standard line of "With the way computers are getting faster these days, a new processor will make up for the speed problems." I'm sorry, but bad code is just bad code, end of story. There are just too many washed out dot-com wannabes flooding what used to be a skilled career field. It's awful.

Quote:
I know 3 programmers and they all have this philosophy "do less for more, cause the client's aren’t smart enough to know otherwise" makes you think.

I know a few like that too. :(  They give good programmers a bad name.

At least the company that I work for isn't your typical software house. Practically everyone here has a PHD and was a scientist before they were a programmer because it's a highly scientific company. Thus their primary concerns are functionality and speed. It's rough being one of the few GUI-pushers around here, but at least I can count on everyone around me to write good solid code. So I know my code isn't going to waste. :) 

Of course writing in Python now is a trip. It's not exactly the fastest language in the world, though for an interpreted language it's damned fast. At least when we need it we can still write code in ANSI C++ and wrap that into a Python library though. So we can make well-optimized code when we need speed, and still have the flexability of an interpreted language. (Flexability being that our code runs in Windows, Linux, Unix, and in theory even on a Mac.) It sure beats using Java. :) 

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
November 27, 2002 7:39:36 PM

I understand your thought of bad coding+pushed MHZ=recovery from bad coding.
To me it's the same as horrible IPC but high clock speeds. While I got used to the P4, initially I was relatively unhappy with how all the performance was achieved, was by insane clock speeds. One is not good without the other. You need IPC and MHZ equal, not one more than the other. So Intel is covering bad IPC by MHZ.
Of course I don't care now, besides, it's getting there by time.

Another thing, that might stem of you and spud's complaint which is true anyway, is how my teacher told me in college, 80% of the programming class students got burn outs of the class and dropped out. Methinks most of them came back or went into "easier" programming, hence cheap programming.
It proves few are skilled now or up to the hard task.
I have respect for people like you who make their time and work, worth it.

--
November 27, 2002 9:34:32 PM

I would still go with Java - much faster development cycle, much better suited to the task and cross-platform compatibility better than anything, not to mention scaleability - the cost savings in that alone more than make up for the cost of the increased hardware needed to run it. Don't forget, hardware is pretty cheap compared to the other costs involved in delivering software.

Other option is we could all be developing in pure assembly language :|
November 27, 2002 11:24:22 PM

An advantage of Java is that you don't have to worry about low-level optimizations. When you compile, your code is compiled into Java's bytecode and the VM that runs it is actually where the "optimization" takes place. So Sun or IBM or whoever writes the Java VM will be the people responsible for making good code (as the VM is what creates the binaries). This makes up a lot for bad programmers.
Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of algorithm-level efficiency and sadly, not all that many programmers know that either. It's one of those things you can't read "HTML for Dummies" and know.

!