T-bred's come unlocked?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I recently bought an XP 2400 (retail)and an A7V8X. I've heard rumors that this board unlocks t-breds, so I changed the multiplier from 15 to 16 and woohoo, 2133 MHz, instant XP 2600 speed at a XP 2400 price. CPU temp hasn't gone up at all, so I might see if I can push it further.

I wonder if it's just the A7V8X that can do this, or does the t-bred come unlocked?

Reminds me of the good old days of OCing before the multipliers were locked.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hummm... now I'm jealous! I've got an XP2400+ in an MSI KT3 Ultra2 board and when I tried to change the multiplier it wouldn't boot! I had to clear the BIOS before I could get it back running... so I just figured it was the chip was locked. Now I wonder...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Is it definately running faster or just being reported as faster in the bios? have you done any benchmarks?

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'd heard a rumor that the a7v8x was able to unlock the t-breds, so I tried it. I don't know if it's just that MOBO that can do it or all t-breds are unlocked.

eden

Champion
All Tbreds can be unlocked with the pencil trick, IIRC.
This board must have had something special.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem

ZondaC12

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2002
ok ill clear this up. KT400 mobos unlock ALL multipliers in t-breds. pencil trick DOES NOT WORK. unlocking involves two of the pins underneath. there's a guide on www.ocworkbench.com

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If I read the OCWorkbench article correctly, it sounds like t-breds are unlocked for default or higher multipliers. For lower multipliers you need to jump two pins.

I'm not sure why you would want lower multipliers. For increasing the bus speed as much as possible?

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sure... if you can get at a lower multiplier, you can really jack the FSB speed and overall that should really help performance. That's what I tried to do with mine and failed, I guess because I didn't do that OCWorkbench trick to get at the lower multipliers. Right now, my BIOS doesn't have any multiplier greater than 15X, so I really can't test the upside multiplers. Maybe a BIOS flash will give more options?

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
so...do t'breds come unlocked for higher multipliers or is it just a feature of kt400s or what?I wanna get an xp2400 you see so i wanna know whether it's worth getting some super cooling devices and oc'ing.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

eden

Champion
As I said, Tbred Bs are unlockable by the pencil trick, it has been verified here a few months ago.
OR you can get the KT400 boards.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
is it only kt400 boards that unlock the t'breds or do nforce 2 boards do it too?if not, do all kt400 boards do it or just the a7v8x?

romper77

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
ok.... i have a xp2400 and a7v333 i can get any from 13x to 20x. my cpu is not unlocked. if i unlock it by joining the last set of L3 briges then i could have anything below 13x, my mate has asusv8x his is fully unlocked as yours is. most kt 400s will unlock those chips. mins runing @13x180=2300 on air im well pleased.

eden

Champion
That's good to hear, that they can overclock fairly well on retail.
I think AMD let go of their policy, assuming that perhaps the resellers just forgot about the lockdown so they would now ship them semi-unlocked knowing most won't realize as they forgot about it.

--
**Canadian joke:
Here we don't say the word "retarded", we say "Alliance"! -Mike Bullard**

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Also, if you get an epox 8k9a series board apparently you can multiplier overclock without actually unlocking the CPU.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>

eden

Champion
That is something I want enthusiast websites to start trying. I think it can go far if the FSB isn't touched a lot.

--
**Canadian joke:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
If it could be applied to p4's then it would be truly awesome!
However i imagine intel wouldn't be too happy.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>

eden

Champion
If they simply charge extra for an unlocked version, they wouldn't care, we paid for it, they have no reason really!

--
**Canadian joke:

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
does anyone know if nforce 2 boards can do this unlocking thing?i wanna get an xp 2400 with an Abit nforce 2 mobo (NF7-S)

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Some of you were wondering if the processor was really running at a higher speed or not. I finally got home and got a chance to do some benchmarking, and the results show that the proc IS running faster:

Sisoft sandra 2003

2.00 GHz (multiplier default 15)

CPU Arithmetic 7549 Mips 2994 Mflops. CPU Multimedia 11122 Integer 11895 FP

2.13 GHz (Multiplier 16)

CPU Arithmetic 8045 Mips 3252 Mflops. CPU Multimedia 11889 Integer 12653 FP

So however the board is doing it, it IS doing it. I wonder if it's just the A7V8X, or all KT400 boards that can unlock t-breds. Anyone know?

It is a definite selling point for KT400, especially if nforce2 can't unlock the multiplier.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
all nforce 2 mobos can unlock the multiplier on any tbred B's.see anandtech's recent review of 6 of them and it says it there.