RUNAWAY PROCESS, USING all RAM AND 80%CPU

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
HI!
on start up a process (wmpnetwrk.exe) starts up, and gradually works up to 80%+ cpu usage, and 95%ram usage, computer get really slow, cannot play any games, (gets freezes/choppy), system will also freeze up, screen will get "sparkly" and give me a blue screen and a crash/restart

i can usually "end process", (takes 2x to get to stay closed) , then gamig performance returns but still crashes (take ALOT more time, and hard usage only) even crashes playing runescape!

not sure if crash and "runaway process" are related

win 7 ultimate x64
ma785gma-us2h
phenom II 550
4gog corsair ddr2 800
9500gt 1gig

top temp in machine is my gpu 74c, then my cpu 54c, all else under 50c (temps under load)
gpu idle 54' cpu 36

Solution

If it only started happening recently, chances are there's a new process running at boottime. Go from Start to Run and type msconfig into the open bot then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick anything related to Windows Media Player along with anything else you don't really need at StartUp . You won't be disabling anything, just preventing it from clogging up...

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
for smart people, yes reformat would be best,but, I let someone else run my back up and well my disks are blank(all 3 of them), so i do not know what happened there, i have found evidence that there is a virus, or something, seems to leed to windows media player, until i search it out then comes up as named "TRUSTEDINSTALLER.EXE"

so i gotta figure out how to remove it, or buy a new copy of windows (company that assembled my computer and put os on went out of buisness i bought windows off of them and they just didn't finish the job! next one I will do myself! saving $ ,wife wants a computer now) at least i know why they are out of buisness

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
restore not working, just freezes, did download and use Malwarebytes it DID find 1 "malware" but that didn't fix prob, do think it is a virus though, cannot figure out how remove it though, gonna have to read on virus removal (

sorry about my downtime, had several family emergenies, one right after the other first time computer on in about a week!

If it only started happening recently, chances are there's a new process running at boottime. Go from Start to Run and type msconfig into the open bot then hit Enter. Click the StartUp tab and untick anything related to Windows Media Player along with anything else you don't really need at StartUp . You won't be disabling anything, just preventing it from clogging up the system until you actually need it. Click Apply and then click the Services tab and tick the "Hide all Microsoft" box.

Hit the Start button again and then Run and type in services.msc and hit Enter. When it opens, resize the form so you can see it and the System Configuration form at the same time. Look at the Services in Configuration the way you did with StartUp items only don't untick them because that will change them to Disabled. Instead, find the ones you don't need in the Services alphabetical list and click to change from Automatic to Manual, then Apply and OK.

When you've finished, close both forms and Config will tell you it wants a restart. Let it do so and after that, tick the "Don't show this message again" box and hit Enter. Start up will be faster than before and hopefully, your troublesome message will go away.

Solution

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
followed intructions (wow very easy to follow thanks!)

found some stuff from an old printer, (i thought i already removed )

other than that just my os, java, and internet security stuff

did not stop process, now am i to assume it to be a virus since i tracked to

something called "TRUSTEDINSTALLER" (all caps in label also)

or would that be the name of a windows thing?

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
love the pic of the pup! we just had 2 litters of German Shepherd puppies, whoh maybe a reason im tired : ) 12 puppies, only

for a few more weeks, sigh...

edit: pushed wrong button, message ment to reply to Saga Lout

Actually, the pup is eight now although the photograph is two years old. I suppose while I flatly refuse to grow up at 63, he and his companion - a nine year old GSD bitch, both do the same.

Good luck with yours - I've had thirty three puppies over the years in four litters and watched most of them being born. Absoultely fascinating but not so much fun when they start to leave home.

In that case it must a resurgence of an early Vista problem which was supposedly fixed in Vista's SP1 but that's not working properly in your W7 installation. Can you look in Control panel>Administrative Tools>Services or hit Windows key and R then type services.msc into the box. If TrustedInstaller is in the list of Services, see if it will let you demote it from Automatic to Manual.

peteman

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
would malware of some sort use that windows process, i mean start it and use it, i think

its "windows media player sharing service" (the wmpnetwrk.exe that is what is actually

using all my cpu and ram)

Unkless you actually want to use that facility, simply disable that Service. There's a Network tab in WMP's Tools>Options menu but it doesn't seem relevant unless you have it in detailed manner in a more up to date version than my 11.