DeViLgunner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
I currently have a Thermoengine Delta 60mm. It is extremely loud. I would like to switch to a much quieter heatsink especially since I do not have my 1.4 T-Bird overclocked.

Should I just buy a new Heatsink? If so, what kind would be best for my setup.

Or should I just do a voldtmod? How do I go about doing a voltmod?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
First, your temps will tell you if you can use a quieter fan. Here are the options IMO:

a) Buy a new fan that speed less, but you need to have yours temps under control (not really the best option)

b) Buy a new HSF, likely a big one with a 80x80 fan. These fans are bigger but don't need to run at so much rpm. In case you choose this option, I would recomend a good HSF that can be used for future upgrades, copper based.

c) You can also reduce the rpm of your current fan by doing a mod. A really good one website that explains the different methods is this:

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/quiet_fans_-_power_control_met.shtml
(sorry, can't make it clickable)

Probably I would go first for "c" in your temps allow for it, and "b" as a second option. A fan mod can always be used in you computer, so just do it! ;-)

Hope this helps!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
i was running a 1.4 athlon with that heatsink. That delta fan is a loud little ah heck. I had it overclocked and temps were about 46 under load. When i swapped the fan out for a slower one i was hitting 52 - 53. Not the end of the world but not great.

Its not a problem now i got a 1800+. with the slower fan i hit about 40 under load (stock speed).

<font color=red> -- </font color=red><font color=blue>A bush in the hand is worth two birds at the bar</font color=blue>