Sign in with
Your question

does the P4 H.T. system do good for music sotware?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Music
  • Systems
Last response: in CPUs
November 30, 2002 9:13:35 AM

i wonder Hyper-Threading/P4-3.06ghz Systems can improved music softwares or not, since in most music softwares uses different plugins at the sametime, so wouldn't it improve the proformance??

anyone has a Hyper-Threading/P4-3.06ghz Systems yet??
anyone tried out yet??

http://mp3.com/dxl

More about : system good music sotware

November 30, 2002 9:28:20 AM

I don't notice a bit of difference on my Shuttle, but then I have onboard 5.1 sound, not anything exotic. As far as the HT helping play mp3 or CD music....no. That requires so little power the cpu doesnt even know its there.
November 30, 2002 10:31:02 AM

if by "music software" you didn't mean winamp playing mp3s but soundforge processing waves files for example, then you will see performance increases on HT enabled CPUs. Try to find music software benchmarks to see how much you really gain with HT.
Related resources
November 30, 2002 11:59:29 AM

Unfortunatly for LAME and another MP3 converter THG used, there was a very small 1% at most improvement.
It is nevertheless the highest performing CPU in those segments, due to its high speed and bandwidth at the moment, so even thought HT isn't worth buying just for that, the performance of the CPU itself is there.
I don't recommend you go pay 600$ however dude, that's insane for a CPU, you'd be better off getting a 2.5GHZ 400MHZ FSB and overclock it to 3GHZ quite safely, and still get the same performance, for much less.
600$ CPU buying is as I said many times, stupid to pay for.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem
November 30, 2002 2:10:16 PM

I think you're talking something like Cubase VST, which, I believe, is multithreaded. So yes, it should improve performance.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*
November 30, 2002 7:32:23 PM

how to get an unlock CPU??
are the 2.5Gs unlocked?
if i get a 3G then i might be able to overlock to 3.6g

November 30, 2002 7:35:11 PM

gee...... i can't find those........
no one since to have the new P4 3G yet.......

November 30, 2002 7:42:32 PM

hopefully.... it will be faster than no HT on
i wana configure a new pc that can be a full BIG studio, so that i can use the software samplers, which are way simpler to control, and effects, which sounds better than many many out board effects and i can multiple .

i have realy trouble using my P4 1.4G.... coz i always run out the power so easily which using VST, VSTI, DXi

November 30, 2002 8:29:55 PM

The 3.06GHZ runs at 1.55V and outputs a whopping 82W of power. I don't think you'll even be able to get it to 3.6GHZ with retail cooling so easily, let alone enjoy a cool system. The thing will most likely draw over 100W and require powerful/high quality PSUs.
I really do not recommend it.

No Intel CPU, save for sample CPUs, can be unlocked since the Pentium 2 Deschutes.
No one has ever been able to and it still remains a mystery, AFAIAC.
A 2.5GHZ 400MHZ FSB will have an easier time overclocking (and is a guaranteed C1 stepping)than a 533MHZ version, which is why I suggested it. It also won't require hefty cooling and power requirements.

--
*You can do anything you set your mind to man. -Eminem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 11/30/02 05:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 1, 2002 10:32:51 AM

oh!cool
so u mean i can overlock all the 2.5G?? or i have to find the one that is unlocked??

December 1, 2002 12:57:30 PM

As I said, no Intel CPU publically is unlockable. NONE, NADA!
Only sample CPUs sent to engineers or hardware review websites have those.

Any Intel or AMD CPU is overclockable via the bus.
A few things to keep in mind:
1)OCing the bus will OC your PCI and AGP frequencies. They use a divider since they run at lower speeds. The PCI bus for example uses a divider of 4, so when your P4 bus is at 133MHZ (current P4s), the PCI runs at 33MHZ. The AGP uses a divider of 2 and therefore runs at 66MHZ. When you up the P4 133MHZ bus to say, 150MHZ, the rest is also affected. The PCI will run at 37MHZ and the AGP will be at 75MHZ. The problem is they can't go too high, most PCIs won't run further than 50MHZ, and even then it's pushing.
Your best bet is to get motherboards that can modify the dividers so when you are at 166MHZ bus you can use a divider of 5 to get 165MHZ!
OR there are motherboards that LOCK the PCI and AGP speccs into their normal speeds no matter what the bus frequency is. Those are your best choice.
2)OCing means higher temps, but in a 2.5GHZ's case this isn't a big problem.
3)You will need to raise the voltage level in the event you are over 2.8GHZ, some people here will give you all details on making your overclock succesful, as I am not experienced in P4 OCing methods and tips.

These are just basic little tips, and I think it's almost guaranteed the 2.5GHZ will go far up to 3GHZ.

--
**Canadian joke:
Here we don't say the word "retarded", we say "Alliance"! -Mike Bullard**
!