Mobile and Desktop P4 Processors

jlg13996

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
I have a question for all of you who can help me:
I want to buy a Notebook with a 2,4 GhZ Desktop processor. What's the worse case I can get: reduced live of battery? or there are more problems??

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
It will run hotter and suck more juice. While that's not a problem if you are running it plugged in most of the time, it will result in shorter battery life per charge, and the increased heat may cause other problems. But again, if you are using it in a plugged in situation mostly, it won't matter.

The P4M has Speedstep, or whatever Intel calls it. Pretty much it's the shutting down of unused processor parts, selective gating of certain areas that are unused. So if you are gaming or playing a DVD, most of that processor will be used, but if you are just typing in Word, most likely 90% of the proc will be idle, and therefore "turned off." Most notebook makers that insist upon using the desktop versions of the P4 use a software-based throttle, such as the Dell's, who have 100% and 50% (effectively the processor's clock speed is cut in half). The down side to this is that it happens no matter what when the computer is running on battery, unless you specifically tell it not to, whereas the speedstep stuff is dynamic, and adjusts on the fly.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=QG2QHTZWCTH4ACRBAEOCFEY?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=1789665" target="_new">What's the worst that can happen?</A>

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, yes, there is that too... Moral of the story... nothing hot next to the jewels (unless it belongs to a woman, of course).

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
lol, look for tests a desktop 2,4 can actually perform worse than a 2,2M when on the road because of the power saving program the OEM manufacturer of the laptop inculdes in the pack

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives