3000 vs. 4700 model for gaming

Jim

My daughter wants to play the new sims2 game (I think this is a 3d
game??) and I'm not a gamer. Does anyone know if the Dell 3000 say
2.8ghz w/ 512 megs ram is ok to play it without being sluggish or do I
need the AGP slot and the 4700 model with similar specs above ?

You need the 4700 or 8400 system. The 3000 is designed for Internet
surfing and office applications - emphatically NOT for gaming.

<jim> wrote in message news:lopgq0l74ie6720mkujga4d8a1dl2f84v9@4ax.com...
> My daughter wants to play the new sims2 game (I think this is a 3d
> game??) and I'm not a gamer. Does anyone know if the Dell 3000 say
> 2.8ghz w/ 512 megs ram is ok to play it without being sluggish or do I
> need the AGP slot and the 4700 model with similar specs above ?

Get the 4700 with 512mb RAM and a 128mb video card.

Stew

The 4700 for sure with the ATI Radeon X300 SE at a minimum and 512MB or
RAM.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> You need the 4700 or 8400 system. The 3000 is designed for Internet
> surfing and office applications - emphatically NOT for gaming.

in fact, *any* computer without dedicated graphics capabilities can safely
be classed as a non-gaming machine.

I'm sure the 2400's and the 3000's are fine machines and they do what they
do very well but, as you say, they're definitely not gaming machines.

The 3000 will not run the game at all. The Sims 2 needs a video card that
has a built in Transform & Lighting engine. Even Intel's latest integrated
graphics does not have that feature in hardware. You need a machine with a
dedicated graphics card. The X300 is the only card they offer for the 4700.
While it is not a speed demon, it should be ok for the Sims 2. Also you
definitely need 512mb of ram.

<jim> wrote in message news:lopgq0l74ie6720mkujga4d8a1dl2f84v9@4ax.com...
> My daughter wants to play the new sims2 game (I think this is a 3d
> game??) and I'm not a gamer. Does anyone know if the Dell 3000 say
> 2.8ghz w/ 512 megs ram is ok to play it without being sluggish or do I
> need the AGP slot and the 4700 model with similar specs above ?

Jim

Will a GeForce FX 5200 be okay for this game along with the 512 megs
ram in the PC ?

<jim> wrote in message news:al2iq0h7s47v5akrhj5hlubpuptn3l3ia3@4ax.com...
> Will a GeForce FX 5200 be okay for this game along with the 512 megs
> ram in the PC ?

Yep. It should. Just be sure you're looking at a PCIexpress card however you
choose to acquire it (versus a standard PCI display adapter).

Stew

Jim

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:41:48 -0600, jim wrote:

>My daughter wants to play the new sims2 game (I think this is a 3d
>game??) and I'm not a gamer. Does anyone know if the Dell 3000 say
>2.8ghz w/ 512 megs ram is ok to play it without being sluggish or do I
>need the AGP slot and the 4700 model with similar specs above ?

As a followup I bought a 4600 with 512 megs ram and a 128 meg GeForce
FX 5200 at the Dell refurb store. Too good of a deal to pass up.

Hard to believe my 2 daughters have more up to date PC's than me.
That's a first. I run a 4500 but I'm not a gamer so it works fine for
me.

Is it a PCI Express x16 video card?

<jim> wrote in message news:al2iq0h7s47v5akrhj5hlubpuptn3l3ia3@4ax.com...
> Will a GeForce FX 5200 be okay for this game along with the 512 megs
> ram in the PC ?
>

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:46:44 GMT, "Tweek"
> <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>The 3000 will not run the game at all. The Sims 2 needs a video card that
>>has a built in Transform & Lighting engine. Even Intel's latest integrated
>>graphics does not have that feature in hardware. You need a machine with a
>>dedicated graphics card. The X300 is the only card they offer for the
>>4700.
>>While it is not a speed demon, it should be ok for the Sims 2. Also you
>>definitely need 512mb of ram.
>>
>><jim> wrote in message news:lopgq0l74ie6720mkujga4d8a1dl2f84v9@4ax.com...
>>> My daughter wants to play the new sims2 game (I think this is a 3d
>>> game??) and I'm not a gamer. Does anyone know if the Dell 3000 say
>>> 2.8ghz w/ 512 megs ram is ok to play it without being sluggish or do I
>>> need the AGP slot and the 4700 model with similar specs above ?

I think it is an AGP card. The 3000 does not support AGP. Stay with the
ATI X300.

> Is it a PCI Express x16 video card?
>
> <jim> wrote in message news:al2iq0h7s47v5akrhj5hlubpuptn3l3ia3@4ax.com...
>> Will a GeForce FX 5200 be okay for this game along with the 512 megs
>> ram in the PC ?
>>

>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 16:46:44 GMT, "Tweek"
>> <shawnwinget@nospam_hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>The 3000 will not run the game at all. The Sims 2 needs a video card that
>>>has a built in Transform & Lighting engine. Even Intel's latest
>>>integrated
>>>graphics does not have that feature in hardware. You need a machine with
>>>dedicated graphics card. The X300 is the only card they offer for the
>>>4700.
>>>While it is not a speed demon, it should be ok for the Sims 2. Also you
>>>definitely need 512mb of ram.

jim wrote in message news:<lopgq0l74ie6720mkujga4d8a1dl2f84v9@4ax.com>...
> My daughter wants to play the new sims2 game (I think this is a 3d
> game??) and I'm not a gamer. Does anyone know if the Dell 3000 say
> 2.8ghz w/ 512 megs ram is ok to play it without being sluggish or do I
> need the AGP slot and the 4700 model with similar specs above ?

You can run the game fine. Don't listen to these other YAHOOOO!
Get the game and have fun.

Nick

Sorry Nick, the Intel Integrated Graphics on the 3000 will not run the game
at all.