Xp now hates sound and modem

Kevco74

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
I have Windows Xp Home Edition, just recently I went online to download some updates. About halfway into the install my computer restarts. I then find XP no longer acknowledges my Fortissimo 7.1 sound card and says my modems port is in use by something else. I have re-installed both, reinstalled drivers to no avail. The sound card when the files are installed calls it a "Unsupported Crystal Audio Fusion Device". When I go into the audio settings it shows that as well as the drivers for the card as working properly but yet nothing is detected. My US Robotics modem says it is on com 3 but when i go into system information there is no COM 3 and the IRQ for it is at 18. A bit lengthy im sorry but does anyone have any ideas, if i need to be more clear let me know as I really dont want to format the hd Thanks :)

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like you either have some kind of IRQ conflict, or incorrect drivers were partially installed for one of the devices from Windows Update, which is NOT the place to find a new driver for almost any kind of device, including the chipset, sound card, modem, etc.

Be very careful when using Windows Update, and take the time to read any information about what you are downloading; not everything is required -- or needed, for that matter.

Perhaps you could un-install the modem, then make sure that <i>only</i> COM 1 or COM 2 is enabled in the BIOS (just one, not both), move the card to another PCI slot, and allow Windows to re-detect the device.

If this doesn't work, you could try the same thing with the sound card.

By the way, nothing you are doing here appears to require a format or re-installation of Windows at this point. That's a drastic measure, and shouldn't be undertaken until you know the source of the problem. Otherwise, it could just appear again, fresh installation or not. A format is not always the cure ... sometimes it makes things worse. This should be the last-ditch-effort ... not the first or second response to correcting a problem with the system.

You might find some information on the error in the Administrative Tools\ Event Viewer logs, and the pertinent ones in this situation would be Application and System.

Forcing Windows to show hidden devices that might be causing conflicts in the Device Manager would also be a good idea, as more than one device might exist per category, and all "ghosted devices" would need to be un-installed if this is the case, such as non-existent multiple modems and sound cards.

This is chosen under the View menu in the Device Manager. However, by default, Windows will not ordinarily show ALL hidden devices, even if you select this option ... that requires a Registry edit, which can be found <A HREF="http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm" target="_new">here</A>, in the right-hand column opposite #107.

It's also probable that you have the system set to reboot if there are any errors of this type, which often accomplishes nothing except for the OS looping through restarts each time something goes wrong. The control for this can be found in the Control Panel under System\System\Advanced\Startup and Recovery\Settings\System Failure. The only thing that should be checked in this area is "Write an event to the system log", with no write debugging information.

If the system blue screens after changing these options and rebooting, take careful note of the information, and write <i>everything</i> down, even the numbers that don't necessarily make sense or seem relevant. Post that information here. Much of that information is searchable, and will clue people in on the source of the error, which will help you. No ESP, please ... just the specific facts; psychics are not found here.

To get back into Windows, removing both devices will probably allow this, especially in safe mode. If nothing else, you can perform a repair of the OS using the Windows CD, which alters less data than starting over the beginning.

Toey

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>A better place to be</font color=orange></i>. :wink:

Kevco74

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
I gladly appreciate the info I will attempt this evening to fix the situation with your advice :)

The one link you gave is not working ill try again later.

Once again I appreciate the aid, im semi-literate on these matters but always nice to get the extra help as I sure do need it :)

As a side note all that is affected is sound and connecting to the internet, im able to get into windows just fine and run everything as if there were no problem

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kevco74 on 03/27/03 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try this link instead; the other site appears to be temporarily down:

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315539" target="_new">Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not Connected to the Windows XP-Based Computer</A>

Toey

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/index.php" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>A better place to be</font color=orange></i>. :wink:

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Although I have no further advice to add, I would like to say that I have had similar problems in the past after downloading device drivers from Windows Update.

For some reason Windows Update seems to missidentify hardware and often suggests driver updates that will render your hardware inoperable.

Never use Windows Update to update your device drivers. Always go to the manufactures website and get the latest drivers from them.

Kevco74

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
Well tried all things suggested still the same problem I printed off a great deal of my system info and bear with me but here are my irq settings

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GForce2 Pro
IRQ 17 Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 3 7.1
IRQ 19 US Robotics 56K Modem
IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel
IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel
IRQ 21 VIA Rev 5 or Later USB Controller
IRQ 21 Same
IRQ 0 System Timer
IRQ 8 System CMOS Clock
IRQ 13 Numeric Data Processor
IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
IRQ 4 Commun. Port 1 Com 1
IRQ 3 Commun Port 2 Com 2
IRQ 12 Mouse
IRQ 1 Keyboard
IRQ 10 MPU 401 Compatible Midi Device

For the sake of not boring people to tears i wont type all the other sections :) But if anyone that can help i have all sorts of other system printouts lol

I will never use windows update again that was the 1st time i tried to download a driver update that way never again :) Thanks for the help

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sometimes the quickest way to solve a problem is to format the partion and start from scratch.

Just make sure you backup everything before you do this. Because there is always some crucial file that you will forget to copy over.

I suggest using Norton Ghost.

Everytime I install an OS I make an image at regular intervals. That way is something doesn't work right I can always go back to a pervious state.

I throw most of these away, but I keep two of these images, one with just the OS and one with the OS and a small number of utilities.

Then I do a back up about every week.

A week ago for some unknow reason the file table on my C: drive was overwritten with a file table for another drive. I switched to another hard drive and had my sysytem up and running in less than 5 min. Then I used a recovery app to recover all the files on the trashed drive (but none of the folders :(. So I was able to recover everything.