Mr_Bond

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
I'm getting a new system at Christmas...the specs I've currently decided on:

NF2 Mobo
Radeon9700Pro
2x 256mb DDR (333)
AXP 2400+ (266)

However, I know that I should see a large speed improvement if I can overclock the AXP to at least a 2600+ and get the FSB up to 333 (synchronous with ram). The new 333FSP AXP's won't be available here (Australia) any time soon so I'm wondering how possible it would be to overclock my CPU to what I've suggested (getting the FSB to 166/333 most importantly). I'm also wondering which NForce2 Mobo would suit this overclocking best (I think I would have to unlock the CPU to access lower multipliers when overclocking the FSB). Any ideas appreciated :)

andlcs

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
I think the best overclocking nFORCE MOBO is Asus so far. Abit promise to be a very good overclocker too (don't know if Abit boards are released yet). Just unlock the multiplier and set it to 12x. Tom's second video show how to unlock the L1 bridges, download it.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
abit NF7-8X looks good- it will be out mid-december and is cheaper than asus A7N-8X.I think that is because it only has single LAN but it still has onboard audio etc etc.does the pencil trick work with xp2400s?some on here are saying it does and some are saying it doesn't.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
you should look it up i think the pencil trick only works on older models, with the newer ones the L1 cache bridges are laser cut to deep to just bridge them with conducting meterial first you have to put one a non conducting substance over the gap and then you can bridge the bridges, there are special unlocking kits available, i've also read an article from japan and they used a conductor out oof a nokia 3210 (near the ear it has a little piece of idon't know what and this can just be sticked to the bridges to make the stuf unlocked,

Read up on this befre you attempt to unlock your CPU

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
you should look it up i think the pencil trick only works on older models, with the newer ones the L1 cache bridges are laser cut to deep to just bridge them with conducting meterial first you have to put one a non conducting substance over the gap and then you can bridge the bridges, there are special unlocking kits available, i've also read an article from japan and they used a conductor out oof a nokia 3210 (near the ear it has a little piece of idon't know what and this can just be sticked to the bridges to make the stuf unlocked,

Read up on this befre you attempt to unlock your CPU

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
but some are saying that the laser cut was only on palomino core xps and the t'breds can be pencil unlocked like the pre-palomino ones.there are also some kt400 mobos that unlock t'breds without any modification of cpu needed...but then i don't want a kt400 mobo for obvious reasons.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Mr_Bond

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
So I should be able to run the system stably at around 2600+ FSB333 (with proper cooling) if I can successfully unlock the CPU?

Any ideas on what type of cooling would be necessary to keep this stable?

eden

Champion
Unfortunatly I searched the web hoping to find that pencil trick on Tbreds, but I couldn't.
I was either misinformed, or misled by someone here.
Either way if some got them working at lower multis with a special mobo or chipset like the KT400, it should be good news to anyone as you won't even touch the CPU.

--
**Canadian joke:
Here we don't say the word "retarded", we say "Alliance"! -Mike Bullard**

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I have heard that while the pencil trick no longer works, due to resistance being a factor, one can still use window defogging kits or silver pens... Low resistance material.
And as tbred's dont have trenches its alot easier.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>