Sign in with
Your question

newegg

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2002 8:28:26 PM

I was just thinking that with all the endorsing we give newegg, we should be getting paid for the advertising.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.

More about : newegg

December 1, 2002 11:29:55 PM

How much better is NewEgg than its competitors?
December 1, 2002 11:44:29 PM

Hmmm...do they do U.K. shipping?
Related resources
December 2, 2002 12:12:30 AM

Newegg sucks. They dont deliver to Australia!

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>
December 2, 2002 2:01:26 AM

Newegg is great from all of the experience I've had with them, but I live in the U.S. From my experience they are much better then the competitors, low prices, fast shipping, and easy returns.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.
December 2, 2002 4:54:10 AM

oh. i thought it was just australia that sucked for being on the other side of the planet :lol: 

cdrw, floppy drive, cd-rom? what are these strange words you speak of?
December 2, 2002 11:11:03 AM

unfortunately not.i usually go for ebuyer.com and komplett.co.uk

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
December 2, 2002 7:10:03 PM

I really only trust and use newegg and googlegear. Both ship fast and have great return policies.
December 2, 2002 7:37:19 PM

Quote:
I really only trust and use newegg and googlegear. Both ship fast and have great return policies.

Glad to hear it....good return policy = reassuring. And they definitely shipped my order really quick last week.
December 2, 2002 7:43:41 PM

i don't purchase anymore from newegg. their "refurbed" stuff/department is pretty shady to say the least. a few weeks ago i was shopping around for cheap stuff to throw a second comp together with other parts i have laying around. looking at their refurb, they had an msi k7d-L master selling for more than the brand new retail box kit they were selling! i thought this might have been a mistake, but looking at more items i found it to be no mistake. also they claim that their tyan refurbs are "tyan certified", a few people on other sites called up tyan to check on these boards. nobody at tyan new what they were talking about. makes me wonder what other way's newegg is trying to "cut corners" or swindle an extra dollar out of customers. they're not doing this for charity.

cdrw, floppy drive, cd-rom? what are these strange words you speak of?
December 2, 2002 8:04:35 PM

I think Newegg is the best retailer I've used online. No hassles, quick shipping, a real person on the support line (who is not located in Elbonia), and good prices. What more could you want?

...ummm...sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...
December 3, 2002 8:13:03 PM

newegg is ok, but they are theives. They stick it to you in the shipping. Just check out their statements on how shipping is charged and then go and fill your cart to try and duplicate it. You'll find out that they charge you shipping on each item even when they say they wont.

If you're an ugly bastard click <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"> here</A> to feel better about yourself.
December 3, 2002 11:45:15 PM

I think that depends on the items. I've fared well and the last thing I bought, a monitor, a month back had free shipping.

I'm setting up an order for my brother and the whole order has free shipping.

It's like anything else, don't buy the stuff with ridiculous shipping costs.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>
December 4, 2002 2:23:04 AM

I'm talking about mice that cost .99c and then there is $6 shipping. If you buy 5 then shipping is supposed to be around $6 or $10 dollars, but it'll be $30. They screw you still.

If you're an ugly bastard click <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&..." target="_new"> here</A> to feel better about yourself.
December 4, 2002 5:33:28 AM

Yes, paying $30 for shipping for 5 mice is ridiculous. But at least they are up front and show you how much you will be charged for shipping before you place the order (everywhere else does this too), but my point is that while that is way too high for shipping, it isn't like they are hiding the total cost from you so you can easily buy elsewhere.

I personally always start at pricewatch.com when I buy hardware and I end up buying from newegg half the time because they simply have the best prices. Fortunately I have never had to personally return anything so I can't say anything about that, but they have awesome prices and ship fast. It would be nice to have a better shipping calculator on their site, but that isn't a big enough item for me to want to shun them.

I think that people quote prices from newegg more than any other site. I don't think that will ever lead to newegg paying us for advertising for them, but with more people shopping there, they can afford to take smaller profit margins and we see the savings. That in a way is like getting paid... paid with cheaper prices on hardware.
December 4, 2002 6:16:58 AM

Who would buy just a mice over Internet? It's cheaper in your local store! It's well known that there is a fix cost for handling and shipping an item, no matter what it costs. So if its something like a RAM module or a processor, the margin (let's say 10%) gives more money so they can play with shipping cost and make offers. But what will be the $ you gain for a 0.99c mouse? I will charge you the whole cost for handling and shipping, for sure.

But I agree with you that direct increase as quantity increase doesn't make sense.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
December 4, 2002 12:50:21 PM

You guys are missing the point. Go to their FAQ and look up shipping prices. It says that if you order multiples you won't be charged the shipping rate for each item. It's not supposed to add the $5 shipping charge to every mouse. it's supposed to be $5 for all or maybe $10 but not $30. If you read the FAQ it doesn't corelate with the way they actually charge you. It used to work that way, but recently i've noticed you get dinged for shipping on each item no matter what the quantity.

December 4, 2002 4:18:57 PM

Quote:
You guys are missing the point. Go to their FAQ and look up shipping prices. It says that if you order multiples you won't be charged the shipping rate for each item. It's not supposed to add the $5 shipping charge to every mouse. it's supposed to be $5 for all or maybe $10 but not $30. If you read the FAQ it doesn't corelate with the way they actually charge you.

I thought that I did get your point. What they do with shipping is wrong. They should charge what they advertise that they will for multiple items on shipping. What I am saying, is that even though they do that, and the price should be lower still, the total price (cost+shipping) is still generally lower than any other site. If you order multiple items you still often save enough on each item to still be cheaper than another web site that charges correct shipping.

I never compare prices on hardware without including shipping in the price. So even if you said they charged $50.00 more on shipping than they should, that would mean that they were charging at least $50.00 less for the initial price of the product to still have the best price. I am less concerned with advertising (althought I agree that it is bad if they don't honor what is on their FAQ) and I am more concerned with end result. The end result is that they are cheap (even after shipping) and have a good return policy (according to others experience) and that is what I like most.

Finally, I'd like to say that I don't believe that newegg is THE BEST website out there. I am only saying that it is a good one and I will continue to use Pricewatch to find the best price on things. I am just glad newegg is around because they have saved me quite a bit of money with the purchases I have made.
December 4, 2002 5:35:25 PM

I don't shop at newegg aside from stuff I need asap and are under 50 bucks. I live in CA and tax can be very steep at higher prices. Aside from that newegg doesn't always have the lowest prices (tax aside). When I built my computer back in Dec2001 part by part I ended up finding cheaper stuff from shops in pricewatch. I don't have a favorite shop, I always shop for the lowest price found in either pricewatch or pricegrabber. I just bought an AIW 9700 Pro for 399 at "upgradesource" (shopped there for the first time) but at newegg it's over 420 bucks + tax. All in all since 2001 I've shopped for pc hardware from over 15 different shops. I choose well too that's why so far no credit fraud, bad support, slow shipping. Most pc shops online are as honest, fast, reliable as newegg...lowest price is always the priority. It's not like newegg rewards frequent customers, do they?
December 4, 2002 5:40:17 PM

They are ok. I've found that Newegg and Googlegear are generally pretty much the same on prices, sometimes one has it lower than the other. Googlegear is pretty good with their shipping prices though. I think you should always go and find lower prices. But I'd also recommend that people go to reseller ratings.com and check them out before they purchase anything. I'd much rather pay an extra $10 and have no hassle. Newegg is a decent site. Mwave is pretty good if you live in california. Googlegear is also pretty good. I'm sure there are other good ones out their but these three sites have been very reliable an somewhat cheap.

December 4, 2002 5:55:44 PM

? it cost my 5 dollars to ship my mouse i ordered compared to 10 dollars elsewhere. It cost about 22 dollars to ship a cpu, motherboard, ram, and a 30 pound case and it shipped very fast! I think you just made it up!

Seeing that you are paying for fast deliveries. If you don't like shipping cost then go to a retail store, pay retail prices and tax.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
December 4, 2002 5:55:48 PM

It's never good to buy online from shops in your state of residence. Tax + shipping makes a huge difference. I prefer only shipping...hehe. usually when I find newegg to have a lower price 2-4 other shops have the same price at pricewatch and 1-2 of those have lower shipping costs.
December 4, 2002 6:14:19 PM

your the person that is buying .99 cent mice. There is no way you can ship that in a box fedex express saver for less then a dollar! You can't do that! you are being unrealistic!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
December 4, 2002 6:17:55 PM

perhaps you should bring this up with newegg instead of sitting there complaining about it which does nothing. Maybe it's a glitch in the system.

December 4, 2002 6:51:26 PM

You don't know how much meticulous I am when it comes to things. When I purchase online for building a PC part by part I make an excel sheet and do lots of comparisons. I am aware that having too many shops to shop at will pile up the shipping. I still save when buying from several shops at once. Most have free shipping anyways. That's what little known companies do to attract buyers. Therefore I still save. Also it beats the tax. If you make a PC for 1400 x 0.8 that's 112 tax plus maybe 50-70 more for shipping.

I do try to combine stuff in one shop but as usual most shops carry 1 or 2 very cheap hardware and the rest are expensive. I just bought an ATI AIW 9700 Pro and it was free shipping and a new Enermax power supply from another shop and also free shipping. Funny how the cheapest shop also offers free or 1 flat rate for shipping. You just gotta know how to shop and do many comparisons to get the cheapest possible prices and I've mastered that! hehe
December 4, 2002 7:00:05 PM

I have brought this up to them. They have never responed to my emails and they have never changed their FAQ. I'm not saying that .99 cent mice are cheap to ship. But if I order 100 it's not gonna cost $500 to ship them. I don't care if they have their fedex saver shipping to save you on your larger items they are really sticking it to you on teh smaller stuff. I'm not just whining, I'm informing others of the problem so that newegg may get more than one complaint.

December 4, 2002 7:13:43 PM

i work for a company that ships stuff everyday...commercial speakers. geeting a rate for shipping is measured mostly by weight and not quantity. I think that's what yahiko is complaining about. More than a year ago when purchasing online for the first time I bought 2 memory sticks from ebay. Seller says 15 bucks for the first item/memory and 7 per each addition. I got suckered that time, I was a newb. 5 sticks of memory shouldn't even cost 15 bucks to ship let alone 2. You call that "combine shipping"?
December 4, 2002 7:29:57 PM

Although they don't have as many products to sell FrozenPC.com has speedy service also. They also sell some things that newegg doesn't.

<font color=blue>Can anyone help me overclock my girlfriend's love toy?<font color=blue>
December 4, 2002 7:32:44 PM

Right...most shops have speedy service. They process orders upon receiving and usually ships the same day. When it comes to shipping time the company to blame is not the pc shop but the shipping carrier, FEDEX or UPS. But I really want to find a shop that has all it's hardware at the lowest prices, not just 1 or 4 but all items for sale. At least the common ones.
December 4, 2002 7:57:53 PM

oh i see ... lol .. i do something similar but i just check and make sure the place i'm buying at isn't a bad experience and i research something for 6 months before i buy it. Other than that saving 10 bucks to me isn't worth the hassle ya know? *shrugs* ... but hey whatever works for ya! it's al lgood ... especially if you can find free shipping! ... another good place to shop is www.buy.com if you have never been there.

and if you wanna talk about ripping people off onshipping go to www.mwave.com and www.computers4sure.com lol their shipping costs are out of this world insane!

December 4, 2002 8:14:59 PM

I know I bought something from buy.com, forgot what it was. I remembered I got it for cheap too. I really am open to any shop as long as they have the cheapest prices and I do think most online shops are hassle free even those that charge too much shipping. So far I've had no problems from the many shops I've tried. As for savings I don't mind spending months to research and budget when buying a new PC. After all I'm a gear head and doesn't mind if I research over and over and over...hehe...ahhh, the problem of not being rich...

Btw a lot of online shops have this "Live Help!" feature on their website. When I was ordering my AIW 9700 Pro I used that feature with two diff shops and they do work! There is a real guy chatting with you...hehe. I simply asked if the AIW 9700 Pro they are selling is the full retail box and the guy said yes and boom question answered. Before you had to email them and wait for a few hours to get a response. That feature is a very cool idea!
December 4, 2002 8:27:01 PM

Quote:
When I purchase online for building a PC part by part I make an excel sheet and do lots of comparisons. I am aware that having too many shops to shop at will pile up the shipping. I still save when buying from several shops at once.

That is exactly what I do, and while many people think it is too meticulous, I find that it doesn't take too much time and I actually enjoy it. I wouldn't want to do it as a full time job, but I make spreadsheets of everything to calculate and weigh the costs.

I am sorry if my past posts looked like I was all for newegg. I wasn't trying to endorse them as much as it sounded. I was just trying to stick up for them because I have had great experiences with them. I have had great experiences from many other places too. I haven't bought any hardware recently, but in the past I would guess that about 40% came from newegg. But I have never bought all the hardware from a single site. I have never found a website that offers good prices on all their products. There are always at least a few items (and more often about half their stock) that are overpriced.

In conclusion, I think that sites like www.pricewatch.com should be getting much more praise than individual online retail shops. Can you imagine how much harder it would be to find the best prices without them? Clicking on 'Shopping' on Altavista or Excite doesn't turn up near as many results.
December 4, 2002 9:18:23 PM

I like how pricewatch has now gone to price+shipping = total price. The shipping charge is pointless anymore and total cost to the buyer is all that matters to the buyer.

Here's a good one. When I bought a system last year I decided to go with WinMe since they threw in a free upgrade to WinXp once it would become available. Then it became available so I put in my free coupon code on the MS ordering web page and found they were charging me $19.95 for shipping and handling. lol. Probably cost them $1 or so to ship it - it came as a single CD in a small sheet cardboard envelope.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy. </i>
December 4, 2002 9:25:01 PM

Once again, depends on what you buy. I just bought a monitor from TechDepot (Owned by Office Depot, run by Computers4Sure - same web site, inventory, just a different badge), and guess what? I paid $0 shipping. Oh yea, the monitor I bought was around $180 less than NewEgg and Google and it is new, not refurbished.

People, it is really simple. Like someone mentioned, create a spreadsheet, put your hardware items as rows and make a group of columns for each supplier. In that group have one column for the suppliers price, once column for the shipping, one column for tax, if applicable, and a total by row. This way, you can see by item who has the best overall price for each piece of hardware and then order from them. To protect yourself, I would also go to each website and put all of your items of interest in the cart and calculate shipping in total as often times there is a discount from the shipping cost per item price if you are ordering several things.
December 4, 2002 10:00:10 PM

i do the samething!!! lol! it'll be 6 months before i buy anything. Because for one i know in 6 months something better will come along and what you want will have a nice price cut.

omg you got the AIW 9700 Pro!!!!? ?? ? ?!??$@#?$?@%??^ ?? *drools* i want!!! lol! after christmas though i think i'm gonna get a dvd burner. probably the one from sony. model# dru500a lol! sad isn't it? that i memorized the part number? lol!

i think it's being an educated consumer really! not a problem of not being rich just we like to make sure our parts of top quailty and low cost lol ... hmmm ya i guess that would a problem of not being rich lol

December 4, 2002 10:01:57 PM

thats a good idea actually! I think my friend was doing that at one time! I'll have to do that too! now that it's been explained sounds like a good idea.

December 4, 2002 10:30:39 PM

Quote:
that's too much of a hassle to save 2-3 dollars, not worth it imo

I guess it depends how much you are ordering. I usually only order one thing at a time, so yeah it's not worth it for me to go to that much detail. A quick search around Pricewatch will do it.
December 5, 2002 12:11:52 AM

$2 or $3 times 100 - that's about what I saved using this approach and that was JUST comparing prices for my new system between newegg and googlegear. Maybe if you are rich a few hundred dollars is not worth the trouble. For the rest of us, I have a feeling it is worth 20 or 30 minutes time :) .
December 5, 2002 6:02:53 AM

I'm not seeing it.

Basic Microsoft Intellimouse, my mouse, ships for 10 bones with $5 shipping.

5 of them has $15.41 in shipping.

10 of them has $20.06 in shipping.

Yes, 2 of them has $10 in shipping.

Compare that to Best Buy's $20 with free shipping.

With that being said, I pulled out my old invoice. I bought 11 items for $500 and shipping was $26. I can't complain.

My last purchase was a 17" monitor for $130 with free shipping.

I watch what I buy. It's the total cost of product plus shipping that counts.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>
December 5, 2002 6:25:06 AM

In the end, this is what counts:

resellerratings.com

It's amazing how bad some of these places are. I would have to say that from my experience, a majority of vendors charge your card within minutes only to let you know that they are backordered or out of stock and will ship it to you WHEN they get it in stock. That's a ripoff, fraud, and I've cancelled the order everytime.

Use a credit card.

For the reason stated above, if you have a problem, cancel and notify your credit card company.

Pricewatch.com

Was pretty good, might still be, but lately it seems that every vendor with low prices, save a few, has really bad business practices. If you find a good vendor, just like when you find a good restaurant or mechanic etc etc, reward them with your return business. That's why I've been using Newegg lately. Nonetheless, I'm checking pricewatch out again now that they've started listing products by price + shipping.

Bensbargains.net

Any similar site as well. Find promotions and coupons and save money. Crucial for example offers 15%-20% off coupons regularely. Saved me a fortune when I bought half a gig of memory.

Spreadsheet method

I do this as well. Sure, if you're rich and don't have time, don't bother, but for the rest of us, $50 saved is a nice deal. Odds are you'll save a lot more than that. I generally take a few months to make a purchase.

Don't buy something the second it's released

Reasons are simple: 1. these forums are great and all, but sometimes people hype products that they don't even own. If you wait a bit, and don't buy something the second it's released, you'll know if the product is a lemon or not. The IBM hard drives are a prime example of this. Everyone hyped the 75gxp and 60gxp and then everyone came back with how crappy they were once they actually owned one. 2. The premium price is ridiculous. You can buy a system 2 times better with the money you save if you don't pay the premium for newly released products.

imop

<font color=red>
December 5, 2002 1:10:59 PM

Ok I just checked this out again. I put a mouse pad in the check out. $5 shipping. Put in 2 $10, put in 3 $15, put in 4 $17.52

Crazy me. I thought when they said multiple items they'd actually charge you less on 2 or more. Nope looks to be 4 or more items. I never knew it cost $15 to ship 3 mousepads.

December 5, 2002 3:37:35 PM

hehe...I do the same thing...go to the website and do a "mock" purchase. But some sites sucks coz they don't show you the shipping and tax until you click the checkout button and fill in your info.

I bought my monitor from DELL.COM, a Sony CPD-G410R. Got it for 290 bucks - free shipping! I saved more than 100 bucks. Sometimes the big time companies do give back, after all they are already damn rich!
December 5, 2002 3:44:49 PM

Yup...AIW 9700 Pro! hehe...It's soooo worth it. I won't trade it for the GF FX...Nvidia never beats ATI when it comes to all-in-one cards. It's a one-two punch. Superior gaming power that is available now and uber multimedia features! Also sometimes it sucks when it's your favorite TV day and the TVs at house are all being used...personal TV and PVR with the AIW 9700 Pro rocks! Recording my favorite TV shows and authoring DVDs/VCDs is a bang! I do need a DVD burner but for now I hafta use my friend's.

Darn it though I'm on "back order". Apparently all the AIW 9700 Pro that are under 410 bucks including shipping are out of stock. I've been jumping from 3 inline shops already and all back ordered! 1 week wait for me!
December 5, 2002 3:48:46 PM

"that's too much of a hassle to save 2-3 dollars, not worth it imo" - LtBlue14

Hassle? not if you're a gear head. It's the love of the hardware dude. I don't mind looking up prices all day as long as I learn stuff and feed my hardware hunger as I go. You're having fun and at the same time saving 2-3 bucks...WORTH IT :]

You also get to research more and harder on both old and new hardware you find as you uncover new hardware.
December 5, 2002 3:57:31 PM

Mousepads??? 4 for 17 bucks? rip-off? YES!!! You ship by the weight not the quantity...I've shipped something overseas and the quantity is a robotic kits box and 4 CDs. That's larger than 4 mouspads and heavier. I paid 30 bucks. Those 4 mousepads are so light and small that it should be under 8 bucks.
December 5, 2002 8:52:03 PM

lol ya i figure by next year they will be in stock and lower prices lol. plus i have a video card and it works. I could use a dvd burner a lot more then a video card so that can wait ya know? I wanna get the new sony dual combo dvd burner drive!

!