I'd like to buy my sister a scanner, but the one I'm looking at requires
USB2.0. (It's one of the Canons.)

My sister' system is older and I can't tell from looking in device manager
whether it has USB1.0 or 2.0.

Here's what she has:

Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III, purchased in 2000.

If she only has 1.0 is there a 2.0 card or other adapter I can get her.

Thanks.

Roy

The 4100 is USB 1.1. You can add a USB 2.0 PCI controller card for
about $20, or just use the scanner as is - it won't be that much slower
on USB 1.1 than 2.0.

Roy Gordon wrote:
> I'd like to buy my sister a scanner, but the one I'm looking at requires
> USB2.0. (It's one of the Canons.)
>
> My sister' system is older and I can't tell from looking in device manager
> whether it has USB1.0 or 2.0.
>
> Here's what she has:
>
> Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III, purchased in 2000.
>
> If she only has 1.0 is there a 2.0 card or other adapter I can get her.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roy

toy

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2004

"Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to buy my sister a scanner, but the one I'm looking at requires
> USB2.0. (It's one of the Canons.)
>
> My sister' system is older and I can't tell from looking in device manager
> whether it has USB1.0 or 2.0.
>
> Here's what she has:
>
> Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III, purchased in 2000.
>
> If she only has 1.0 is there a 2.0 card or other adapter I can get her.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Roy

look in Device Manager under Hardware at USB controllers and if Enhanced is
mentioned you have USB2.0

otherwise check you have a free PCI slot on the Motherboard and if so, get a
PCI-USB2 card. They come with various numbers of ports (mine has 4)

toy

Toy,
I tried this on a P3 700MHz HP desktop. Didn't have a lot of luck. The
USB 2 PCI card worked but only at USB 1.1 speed. I was told the
motherboard's chip set has to also support USB 2 to get the card to work at
USB 2 speeds. Had the same results when trying to ad a USB 2 CardBus to an
even older Inspiron 7000 P2 at 366 MHz. It was one of the prime reasons I
bought this Dim 8400, I wanted USB 2.
Paul

"Toy" <toy@155btinternet.com> wrote in message

> "Roy Gordon" <royg_XOUT@sonic_xout.com> wrote in message
>> I'd like to buy my sister a scanner, but the one I'm looking at requires
>> USB2.0. (It's one of the Canons.)
>>
>> My sister' system is older and I can't tell from looking in device
>> manager
>> whether it has USB1.0 or 2.0.
>>
>> Here's what she has:
>>
>> Dell Dimension 4100 Pentium III, purchased in 2000.
>>
>> If she only has 1.0 is there a 2.0 card or other adapter I can get her.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Roy
>
> look in Device Manager under Hardware at USB controllers and if Enhanced
> is mentioned you have USB2.0
>
> otherwise check you have a free PCI slot on the Motherboard and if so, get
> a PCI-USB2 card. They come with various numbers of ports (mine has 4)
>
> toy

I have an Adaptec USB2 card working fine in a 1999 vintage Compaq Presario
(P3-450). Works fine at USB2 speeds.

I've had problems with cheap cards, but reputable USB2 cards will work in
older machines just fine.

Tom
"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Toy,
> I tried this on a P3 700MHz HP desktop. Didn't have a lot of luck. The
> USB 2 PCI card worked but only at USB 1.1 speed. I was told the
> motherboard's chip set has to also support USB 2 to get the card to work
> at USB 2 speeds. Had the same results when trying to ad a USB 2 CardBus to
> an even older Inspiron 7000 P2 at 366 MHz. It was one of the prime reasons
> I bought this Dim 8400, I wanted USB 2.
> Paul

"Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Toy,
> I tried this on a P3 700MHz HP desktop. Didn't have a lot of luck. The
> USB 2 PCI card worked but only at USB 1.1 speed. I was told the
> motherboard's chip set has to also support USB 2 to get the card to work
> at USB 2 speeds. Had the same results when trying to ad a USB 2 CardBus to
> an even older Inspiron 7000 P2 at 366 MHz. It was one of the prime reasons
> I bought this Dim 8400, I wanted USB 2.
> Paul

I'm not sure, but the USB 2 card might not operate at the faster speeds
since that OS support wasn't available until WinXP SP1......

But that's the only reason I can think it shouldn't work.

Stew

> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Toy,
>> I tried this on a P3 700MHz HP desktop. Didn't have a lot of luck. The
>> USB 2 PCI card worked but only at USB 1.1 speed. I was told the
>> motherboard's chip set has to also support USB 2 to get the card to work
>> at USB 2 speeds. Had the same results when trying to ad a USB 2 CardBus
>> to an even older Inspiron 7000 P2 at 366 MHz. It was one of the prime
>> reasons I bought this Dim 8400, I wanted USB 2.
>> Paul
>>

> I'm not sure, but the USB 2 card might not operate at the faster speeds
> since that OS support wasn't available until WinXP SP1......
>
> But that's the only reason I can think it shouldn't work.
>

> Stew

Most 3rd party cards come with drivers that support full speed on older
operating systems.

Tom

"S.Lewis" wrote:
> "Paul Schilter" wrote:
>> I tried this on a P3 700MHz HP desktop. Didn't have a lot of luck.
>> The USB 2 PCI card worked but only at USB 1.1 speed. I was
>> told the motherboard's chip set has to also support USB 2 to
>> get the card to work at USB 2 speeds. Had the same results
>> when trying to ad a USB 2 CardBus to an even older Inspiron
>> 7000 P2 at 366 MHz. It was one of the prime reasons I bought
>> this Dim 8400, I wanted USB 2.
>
> I'm not sure, but the USB 2 card might not operate at the faster speeds
> since that OS support wasn't available until WinXP SP1......
>
> But that's the only reason I can think it shouldn't work.

Why would a PCI card, operating at speeds determined by the PC's
PCI bus and the controller on the PCI card, depend on the speed
of a USB chipset on the motherboard? This would defeat the
purpose of buying and using a PCI card based USB 2.0 controller
in the first place. Are the card manufacturers stupid?

*TimDaniels*

"Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>> "Paul Schilter" wrote:
>>> I tried this on a P3 700MHz HP desktop. Didn't have a lot of luck.
>>> The USB 2 PCI card worked but only at USB 1.1 speed. I was
>>> told the motherboard's chip set has to also support USB 2 to
>>> get the card to work at USB 2 speeds. Had the same results
>>> when trying to ad a USB 2 CardBus to an even older Inspiron
>>> 7000 P2 at 366 MHz. It was one of the prime reasons I bought
>>> this Dim 8400, I wanted USB 2.
>>
>> I'm not sure, but the USB 2 card might not operate at the faster speeds
>> since that OS support wasn't available until WinXP SP1......
>>
>> But that's the only reason I can think it shouldn't work.
>

> Why would a PCI card, operating at speeds determined by the PC's
> PCI bus and the controller on the PCI card, depend on the speed
> of a USB chipset on the motherboard? This would defeat the
> purpose of buying and using a PCI card based USB 2.0 controller
> in the first place. Are the card manufacturers stupid?
>
> *TimDaniels*

Yo Tom and Tim,

1) Tom says that the card drivers override any older OS concerns.

2) I have a homebuilt that has only USB 1.1 support on the system board. I
added a PCI USB 2.0 card along with installing the software that came with
that card.
However, on this machine I also run XP Pro SP2 (which has USB 2.0
support as does SP1).

I was merely speculating about the OP's system which has (if I understand
correctly) NO native HW support for USB 2.0, and the chance that the OP is
also running a Windows OS with NO native SW support for USB 2.0 (pre-XP
SP1).

Tom is saying ( I think ) that the software drivers supporting USB2.0 for
the card will trump the OS not supporting those devices.(The motherboard HW
support is immaterial once the USB 2.0 controller card is added as it
becomes the needed HW support).

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:
> 1) Tom says that the card drivers override any older OS concerns.
>
> 2) I have a homebuilt that has only USB 1.1 support on the system
> board. I added a PCI USB 2.0 card along with installing the
> software that came with that card. However, on this machine
> I also run XP Pro SP2 (which has USB 2.0 support as does SP1).
>
> I was merely speculating about the OP's system which has (if
> I understand correctly) NO native HW support for USB 2.0, and
> the chance that the OP is also running a Windows OS with
> NO native SW support for USB 2.0 (pre-XP SP1).
>
> Tom is saying ( I think ) that the software drivers supporting
> USB2.0 for the card will trump the OS not supporting those
> devices.(The motherboard HW support is immaterial once
> the USB 2.0 controller card is added as it becomes the
> needed HW support).

My motherboard has no native support for ATA/66, much
less ATA/133. But my PCI IDE controller card does ATA/133,
and the corresponding driver in my WinXP handles the PCI-
borne IDE protocol . I assume the situation is the similar for
USB - the motherboard's chipset doesn't need to know about
USB 2.0 if the PCI card's USB 2.0 chipset and the corresponding
driver in the OS can handle the PCI-borne USB protocol . The
point is that the card's manufacturer supplies a PCI driver that
understands the overlaid USB 2.0 and the motherboard's USB
chipset is not involved.

*TimDaniels*

Tom,
Perhaps my mistake was to let XP Pro SP2 configure my card, I'll have to
see if better drivers are available from the card manufacturer.
Thanks,
Paul

> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>> 1) Tom says that the card drivers override any older OS concerns.
>>
>> 2) I have a homebuilt that has only USB 1.1 support on the system
>> board. I added a PCI USB 2.0 card along with installing the
>> software that came with that card. However, on this machine
>> I also run XP Pro SP2 (which has USB 2.0 support as does SP1).
>>
>> I was merely speculating about the OP's system which has (if
>> I understand correctly) NO native HW support for USB 2.0, and
>> the chance that the OP is also running a Windows OS with
>> NO native SW support for USB 2.0 (pre-XP SP1).
>>
>> Tom is saying ( I think ) that the software drivers supporting
>> USB2.0 for the card will trump the OS not supporting those
>> devices.(The motherboard HW support is immaterial once
>> the USB 2.0 controller card is added as it becomes the
>> needed HW support).
>

> My motherboard has no native support for ATA/66, much
> less ATA/133. But my PCI IDE controller card does ATA/133,
> and the corresponding driver in my WinXP handles the PCI-
> borne IDE protocol . I assume the situation is the similar for
> USB - the motherboard's chipset doesn't need to know about
> USB 2.0 if the PCI card's USB 2.0 chipset and the corresponding
> driver in the OS can handle the PCI-borne USB protocol . The
> point is that the card's manufacturer supplies a PCI driver that
> understands the overlaid USB 2.0 and the motherboard's USB
> chipset is not involved.
>
> *TimDaniels*

Agreed. And well stated.

Stew