Sign in with
Your question

help on new comp

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2002 12:12:26 AM

just ordered a new computer and i cant get pass
<cd boot failure>
ive gone through 3 different operating systems and none of them seem to boot, ive tried my old windows 98SE full version cd, my friends windows ME full version cd, and my brand new windows XP Pro cd also full version. tried using a floppy boot disk and booting straight off a cd. my set up is the following:
GA-8SG667
corsair XMS 3200
pentium 4 2.4B
radeon 9700 pro
western digital 120GB hard drive special edition
antec case with 430W power supply
liteon 16x dvd rom
liteon 48-24-48 cd burner
alpha PAL8045 heatsink(1 for intel)

also i can get into the BIOS just fine. cant figure out why it can go into the BIOS but not boot up a windows cd. ive checked all of the connections on the motherboard and they all seem to be set right. the motherboard also detects all the hardware.

bought everything from newegg.com and was wondering if i should RMA the motherboard. dont want to though because i had to remodel the motherboard to fit the alpha PAL8045 heatsink on the pentium 4. any and all help is appreciated, thanks in advance

More about : comp

December 2, 2002 12:16:36 AM

Go into your bios.
Set everything to default or max compatibility.
See if you can boot then.

What condition are your IDE cables in?
damaged cables can lead to data corruption.

And what the heck do you mean by
Quote:
i had to remodel the motherboard.

???

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>
December 2, 2002 12:22:32 AM

tried that, set it to <load fail safe defaults> and all i changed was the boot order. and on the remodeling question i had to take off that plastic hold down bracket that most pentium 4 heatsinks clip on to. the alpha heatsink uses the holes that the plastic bracket thing used.
Related resources
December 2, 2002 12:26:25 AM

Are you REALLY sure you didnt damage anything around the socket? Check closely for broken resistors, bent capacitors.

And you can try swapping the IDE cables, see if that changes anything.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>
December 2, 2002 12:57:34 AM

tried switching out IDE cables and it didnt work, double and triple checked around the socket for anything bent/broken and everything looks ok. cant boot from a 3.5" floppy boot disk either. i dont really understand how i can get into the BIOS but not be able to boot a cd. i sent in a RMA request to newegg and as soon as i get a reply i will try switching out the motherboard. this is a very odd problem and i never heard of anyone having the same problem before. hopefully its the motherboard. thanks for your help.
December 2, 2002 3:01:24 AM

Clear the bios?
Turn off power, remove battery, short bios reset pins, and leave for 5 minutes. then reverse the process and try again

a b à CPUs
December 2, 2002 6:33:29 AM

did you make certain the CD-ROM with the disk was on the main (Intel) IDE controller as a Primary Slave or a Secondary Master, with the jumper set right for all devices? Note about WD, the drive is set differently for Single than for Master.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 2, 2002 11:09:23 AM

1.have you got the cd-rom set up as 1st boot device?2.Are your copies of windows definitely bootable?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
!