help me choosing

I am going to upgrade my computer w/ new CPU, memory, mobo, video card, cpu cooler, PSU and case. I don't wanna spend more than US$500 so it is a light upgrade. I was thinking in buy this:

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ T-Bred core
Albatron KX400+ Pro MOBO (VIA KT333)
256MB DDR PC2700 CL2 Corsair XMS or 256MB DDR PC2700 CL2.5 Brand?
GF4 Ti4200 64MB Brand?
Antec mini tower case w/ 330W True power PSU
I haven't decide which cooler yet (I will spend US$30 on this cooler)... Help me.
<font color=red>Do your comments.</font color=red>

>>>Do you know any reliable online store that shippps internacionaly???

Thanks!

I forgot the HD: WD 40GB 8MB Cache...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by andlcs on 12/02/02 01:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
10 answers Last reply
More about help choosing
  1. VIA chipsets have poor stability. Choose an nForce2 motherboard, preferably from Asus, and use two memory modules in order to take advantage of it's dual memory controllers - doubles memory bandwidth. Choose XP 1600+ and increase the FSB from 266MHz to 333MHz in the BIOS. Retail cooler should do fine. Leadtek Ti 4200 graphics card.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>
  2. nForce2 MOBO from Asus cost US$150+. I want something cheaper. Will nForce1 be better than KT333?
  3. if you can't afford nforce 2 the kx400 pro is a good option. i have one with my xp 2000 and i have had no problems with stability at all-via kt333 is not bad.the motherboard is good on the whole and the overclock options are ample.even so, if you can afford it, do choose an nforce 2 board as halkebul says- especially asus A7N8X as he mentions.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
  4. What about the online store that ships internationaly?

What is the diference btw the A7n8x deluxe to the retail?
  5. Quote:
    nForce2 MOBO from Asus cost US$150+. I want something cheaper. Will nForce1 be better than KT333?

Hello again. That Asus board is the deluxe version. The non-deluxe version is cheaper. Stick with the retail CPU cooler, in that case, you would be able to use the extra money you would have spent on a non-retail cooler to go towards the purchase of an nforce2 motherboard. And that brand/class of memory really is not necessary, go for the cheaper Samsung PC2700 memory.

6. Quote:
    What about the online store that ships internationaly?

Where are you located?

7. Quote:
    That Asus board is the deluxe version. The non-deluxe version is cheaper

What is the diference?
  8. Brazil
  9. Quote:
    What is the diference?

The deluxe version adds some extra features like Firewire, Serial ATA (RAID an option) and an extra LAN port.

10. Quote:
    Brazil

I'm not aware of anyone who ships to brazil.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Font