Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

XPS Ordering Questions

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
November 27, 2004 11:11:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

If I order an XPS Gen4 with dual 160 hard drives (not RAID) how will the
drives be configured. What I want is C: as boot drive and "Any Letter:" as
a data only drive. I've search the Dell's site and cannot find this info
anywhere.

Also, would I be better off waiting until after Christmas to order? I can
get it with a 30% off coupon now but will the price before coupon come down
by then.

Thanks!

BEK

More about : xps ordering questions

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 11:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:

>If I order an XPS Gen4 with dual 160 hard drives (not RAID) how will the
>drives be configured. What I want is C: as boot drive and "Any Letter:" as
>a data only drive. I've search the Dell's site and cannot find this info
>anywhere.

For my own Dell purchases, home or office, I've always found that
ordering a second HD from a third party supplier has always been
less expensive than ordering from Dell.

>Also, would I be better off waiting until after Christmas to order? I can
>get it with a 30% off coupon now but will the price before coupon come down
>by then.

Depends on how well Dell's Xmas season sales go. In the past,
their prices generally hold up through Xmas, with "clearance"
deals post-Xmas. Except when consumers aren't buying heavy for
the season, then they may offer some specials to try to get sales
up. Pretty much the same story as the rest of the year, except a
tad more volatile and compressed. IOW, you get to guess just
like always whether or not the computer you order today [from any
of the majors like Dell] will have a better deal on it one, two,
or whatever weeks from now.

I'd recommend making your decision early. The closer you get to
Xmas, the more likely there will be delivery delays. A couple of
years or so ago, some turkey was in here screaming about how a
laptop he ordered a couple days before Xmas wasn't arriving
before his kid was due to go back to college after New Years Day.
--
OJ III
[Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
November 28, 2004 12:08:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:atohq01jts8aeqotrmv7g6el70d6rpunje@4ax.com...
> "BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>If I order an XPS Gen4 with dual 160 hard drives (not RAID) how will the
>>drives be configured. What I want is C: as boot drive and "Any Letter:"
>>as
>>a data only drive. I've search the Dell's site and cannot find this info
>>anywhere.
>
> For my own Dell purchases, home or office, I've always found that
> ordering a second HD from a third party supplier has always been
> less expensive than ordering from Dell.


Thanks for your help OJIII,

Actually, the price on the second drive is pretty good with the 30%
discount. But I do not want
RAID and I am hoping that the #2 drive will be configured for data only.

Do you know if that is how Dell would ship it?

BEK
Related resources
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:08:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:f16qd.96923$V41.6908@attbi_s52...
>
> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:atohq01jts8aeqotrmv7g6el70d6rpunje@4ax.com...
>> "BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>If I order an XPS Gen4 with dual 160 hard drives (not RAID) how will the
>>>drives be configured. What I want is C: as boot drive and "Any Letter:"
>>>as
>>>a data only drive. I've search the Dell's site and cannot find this info
>>>anywhere.
>>
>> For my own Dell purchases, home or office, I've always found that
>> ordering a second HD from a third party supplier has always been
>> less expensive than ordering from Dell.
>
>
> Thanks for your help OJIII,
>
> Actually, the price on the second drive is pretty good with the 30%
> discount. But I do not want
> RAID and I am hoping that the #2 drive will be configured for data only.
>
> Do you know if that is how Dell would ship it?
>
> BEK
>

Should come as Drive C: Boot, Drive D: Data, followed by Optical drives.

Tom
November 28, 2004 10:31:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:08:28 GMT, "BEK"
<greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:

>
>"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:atohq01jts8aeqotrmv7g6el70d6rpunje@4ax.com...
>> "BEK" <greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>If I order an XPS Gen4 with dual 160 hard drives (not RAID) how will the
>>>drives be configured. What I want is C: as boot drive and "Any Letter:"
>>>as
>>>a data only drive. I've search the Dell's site and cannot find this info
>>>anywhere.
>>
>> For my own Dell purchases, home or office, I've always found that
>> ordering a second HD from a third party supplier has always been
>> less expensive than ordering from Dell.
>
>
>Thanks for your help OJIII,
>
>Actually, the price on the second drive is pretty good with the 30%
>discount. But I do not want
>RAID and I am hoping that the #2 drive will be configured for data only.
>
>Do you know if that is how Dell would ship it?
>
>BEK

Be really careful and EXPLICIT to the sales person what you want. I
wanted the same as you and she kept telling me that is what it was.
The Raid drives come in 0 and 1. Depending which you get one is just a
mirror image of C and unless you break the raid you won't be able to
write data on it.

The best way to go is get a large C drive and an external drive
conneted to a firewire.
November 29, 2004 12:35:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

tellme,

Did you order a Dimension XP Gen4? I was under the impression that system
could be ordered with 2 drives configured in either RAID 1 or RAID 0......Or
dual drives that are not RAID configured. I don't deal with sales people, I
order online only.

Thanks, BEK

> Be really careful and EXPLICIT to the sales person what you want. I
> wanted the same as you and she kept telling me that is what it was.
> The Raid drives come in 0 and 1. Depending which you get one is just a
> mirror image of C and unless you break the raid you won't be able to
> write data on it.
>
> The best way to go is get a large C drive and an external drive
> conneted to a firewire.
>
>
>
November 29, 2004 7:10:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:35:24 GMT, "BEK"
<greywingsnospamplease@comcast.net> wrote:

>tellme,
>
>Did you order a Dimension XP Gen4? I was under the impression that system
>could be ordered with 2 drives configured in either RAID 1 or RAID 0......Or
>dual drives that are not RAID configured. I don't deal with sales people, I
>order online only.
>
>Thanks, BEK
>
>> Be really careful and EXPLICIT to the sales person what you want. I
>> wanted the same as you and she kept telling me that is what it was.
>> The Raid drives come in 0 and 1. Depending which you get one is just a
>> mirror image of C and unless you break the raid you won't be able to
>> write data on it.
>>
>> The best way to go is get a large C drive and an external drive
>> conneted to a firewire.
I got a dimension. I was VERY explicit that I wanted TWO independent
hard drives. One for the OS and the other to backup to and for data
retention.

They shipped me two different computers with only Raid drives
installed. The sales person told me that is what I wanted even after I
explained to her what my purpose was.

Finally I gave up and ordered according to a tech's recommendation a
hard drive that I would install. It came with no rails, screws etc.
When I opened the case there was NO SLOT to install it even though the
tech kept telling me there was. Finally after he went to the lab and
looked at my model he said I was correct.

I returned the hd and finally got an external hd which I love.

If you call a sales person you get the same price as you would get on
the web. Configure it on the web, get the price and be sure the tech
gives you that price. Sometimes you can do better with a phone call
then on the web.

Good luck.
!