Not a CPU question

psnathan

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2001
Sorry, this is not a CPU related post.

I recently bought a 2.5" USB2.0 external hardisk case and a 40GB IBM Travelstar hardisk to go along. The case requires external power and came with a PS2 port connector to get the power.

Yesterday, I found that my friend's laptop does not have a PS2 port. So I thought I'll either buy or make a AC to DC adapter to power the hardisk. I measured the PS2 port and found that it gives out 5V. The problem is I don't know how much current the hardisk drains.

So, my question is

1. Does anyone know what is the max current drain a PS2 port can tolerate?..... or

2. Does anyone know how much max current does a IBM Travelstar 40GN (40GB) needs?

Thank You for your time.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
id say maybe 7 watts, no more than 2 amps. it shouldnt be too hard to find a 5 volt ac adaptor.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If his laptop doesn't have a USB port, how exactly do you plan on getting data through?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I believe the laptop has a USB port, just not a PS2 port.

I've never heard of an external device being powered from the PS2 port before. Have you put it together and tried it only plugged into the USB port? Maybe the PS2 connector is just in case you don't have a powered USB hub.

*Dual PIII-800 @900 i440BX and Tualeron 1.2 @1.74 i815*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OH, I misread it. I've seen keyboard powered devices, but that's really weird because the keyboard and USB power are both 5v, so why not take it off USB, unless it needs two power sources (yes, it's possible to spread the load).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Well the maximum power load a USB port can handle is 500mA (0.5A) and considering that a hard disk would almost certainly need more than that (My 20gig 5400rpm takes about 1A from 5v line) it would need a different source. I dont think you would be able to run it from another USB, but if you have a multimeter you could try testing the current draw from the other power source (put it through a 5v power adapter or sumthing), that way you would know if it would run from another USB.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I've never heard of an external device being powered from the PS2 port before.
I used to have a parallel-port web cam that you plugged into a PS2 port. (I suppose I still have it somewhere, laying around in the computer graveyard.) Only it was on a computer with an old AT keyboard port and a serial mouse, so I needed converters just to even use it. Heh heh. Still, I liked doing that more than plugging in an external AC adapter.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>