a little confusion about "granite bay"

gemini8026

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
ok, well I was reading how it is pc 1600/2100 compatible.

Well, lets say a person has their computer overclocked (ram at 140 mhz). will the mobo still be running in it's true dual DDR mode, or does it have to be locked at the 133 mhz bus?

Im interested in the new Asus p4g8x mobo (mainly becoz of it's 8x agp, and it's ability to run the pci/agp independant of the FSB, other asus mobo's have that, but no agp 8x)

So will I still have true Dual DDR ram for my p4 solution, or do those offical (ddr333,400) mobos coming from intel in the future have a lot more to them in terms of speed coming?

Someone in another forum pointed out that overclocking the ram in a dual ddram granite bay board won't be utilized by the cpu. It maxes out at 4200 bandwidth, so he didn't think ddr333 would provide any additional speed. I'm waiting to see the specs on the sis 655 boards, to see if that's true. Plus the price should be lower. I would still get the pc2700 for a few dollars more, but check asus website for any compatibility issues. Some manufacturers are listing specific memory brands for use with their new boards.

gemini8026

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
it would be nice if SIS had some boards out before Xmas, but not likely gonna happen. I need a new system (sold mine) before January 1st.

Could be months before we see boards (sis655) on the market. Not to mention the crazy price for the granite bays!

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I was waiting for GB up until a couple of weeks ago when someone made a good point on here. GB, SiS655, or any of the other dual channel chipsets are more than likely to have quite a few problems when they are first released. Taking that into consideration, I decided to go with the 845PE chipset, which is pretty stable and when you really get down to performance is not noticeably different to your average user. Knowing that I would still like to move to a dual channel board in the future, probably second generation, I purchased components that I could easily swap out (e.g., two sticks of 256MB 3200 RAM versus just one stick of 512MB) to get full utilization of a dual channel board. In this way, I'm getting a new system now and only spending $100 - $150 dollars in about a year from now to replace the mobo. Just a thought...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could easily use DDR333 and overclock the bus speed to 166MHz to take advantage of it, as long as the CPU will overclock that far.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>