uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I have read the AS3 web site about how to apply the grease, but there are a couple of things that are not intuitive and I want to ensure I have my steps detailed before I sit down to start building.

As far as applying the grease, heatsink, and mounting, does this look like the right approach:

1. Apply grease to heatsink
2. Apply dab of grease to cpu
3. Spread grease on cpu
4. Drop cpu into socket on mobo
5. Spread grease on heatsink and wipe
6. Attach heatsink to cpu
7. Ensure heatsink is level and in good contact with cpu
8. Lock heatsink onto mobo
9. Insert mobo into case

For those that have done this before, does this sound right?

Thanks

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes and no.

I really dont like the comment "DROP the cooler onto the cpu" LOL

my method is:
Apply tiny amound of AS to cpu core. Use razorblade/credit card so the entire surface is evenly covered.
Gently place cpu in socket.
Gently sit HSF on cpu.
Do up screws/attach heatsink, taking care to hold it straight & level. (its a MCX-462)
Put on fan.
Plug in fan.

You shouldnt need to put AS on the heatsink. All that's needed should be on the cpu.

Conclusion:
Number of AS applications ive done to mine and other peoples cpu's over time: 10-12.
Number of Burnt cpus and crushed cores: 0.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Oh, the AS web site says that you should put some on the hs, rub it in, then wipe it off so that you ensure that the machined ridges on the sink are filled as well. In this case, it is not like the CPU where you actually leave a visible layer on. LOL, no, I will not physically drop my $250 process into the socket, you knew what I meant :p.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well i never did that and it still worked fine.

<b>Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk. <i>Terry Pratchett</i></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I definately don't recommend LHGPooBaa's method, as I've actually SEEN situations where it didn't fill the groves properly. I recommend you simply dabble on a small amount with the tip of the aplicator and be done with it. You'll hear lies about too thick a coating preventing the CPU from seating properly, but this stuff is so thin that clip pressure would squish even a huge glob of it completely thin. So why not use a huge glob? It's messy stuff!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Actually, LHGs method is pretty similar to what AS lays out on its website. I'm not saying it's any better or worse than your suggestion at all, but I thought you might be interested. In fact, they have a .PDF complete with pictures detailing a similar approach.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Right, and I'm here to tell you that my method is better than the one they recommend. You see, the only reason they put that info there is because a lot of Athlon users were making a mess of the stuff on their L1-L7 bridges and getting boot failures. So they suggest a failsafe method to prevent a mess, which is less than ideal IMO and from my experience.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I would recommend checking the imprint of the AS3. I.e.

Apply AS3
Put on HSF
Remove HSF
Look at coverage on CPU and HSF. Reapply as necessary.
Reapply HSF

If your HSF doesn't touch the core, all the Artic Silver in the world isn't going to save your CPU.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

TRENDING THREADS