I am looking to purchase a new gaming laptop. I prefer a big screen and portability is not high on the list (Ironic that I am asking about a laptop).
I previously purchased an Alienware and spent a fortune and it died about a year and half after purchase. I do not want to spend that king of money again. But I still want something that can double as a workish computer and gaming system.
Unfortunately I have not kept up on the latest and greatest in processor and video card combos. So I am depending on you guys to look up stuff. Or a few notes on what to look for in a system.
A few things that would be nice to have but are not must haves.
Removable video card (like the old alienware I had)
Harddrive that could be pulled out without taking the laptop apart.
And all for under 1000. I have to sell it to my wife too.
1. What is your budget?
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
big screen. portability is not a big requirement. I like big keyboards
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
more of desktop replacement.
5. How much battery life do you need?
it will be plugged in most of its life
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
I primarly play strategy games. The total war series is used alot.
But I will getting into some MMOs I play world of tanks now. But want to play the Warhammer 40k mmo when it appears soon.
ARMA 2 with very long distance settings. (seeing the grass is not a big deal but the tank 1000m out matters to me)
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I may do some very minor video and photo editing but not much.
I do write alot of code. So something that would be a good machine to do Virtual Machines
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I would rather have a fast harddrive then big harddrive. I tend put big stuff on my share drives.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3 years (but I usually stretch it to 4 or 5)
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Blue Ray (I am sure the games will be coming on this soon)
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I dont have a favorite. But I never heard good things about high performance lenevo
13. What country do you live in?
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I play strategy games almost exclusively except for a few "thinking shooters like ARMA". So sight distance and drawing objects is higher on my list then textures.