Small Business vs. Home Purchase

Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
Business option, as compared to the Home User option?

The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
option.

--
Tom McCune

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
> Business option, as compared to the Home User option?
>
> The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
> coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
> option.
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

Tom,

At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty contract
only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered from the small
business side as it appeared overall to be a better deal. I'm supposed to
pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent for me.

I'd go for it.

Stew

Tom McCune wrote:
> Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
> Business option, as compared to the Home User option?
>
> The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
> coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
> option.

I've always ordered from Small Business (6 systems to date) and found no
negatives. See my information page on the differences:

http://almy.us/homevsbusiness.html

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> > Are there any negatives from ordering a Dell Inspiron from the Small
> > Business option, as compared to the Home User option?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that as a NY resident, I cannot have the Complete Care
> > coverage from the Home option, but it is available via the Small Business
> > option.
> >
> > --
> > Tom McCune
> > My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm
>
> Tom,
>
> At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty contract
> only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered from the small
> business side as it appeared overall to be a better deal. I'm supposed to
> pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent for me.
>
> I'd go for it.

Another thing that a Small Business purchase will get you is the
option of choosing Dell's Gold Tech Support... Shorter hold times
and U.S. based support.

Notan

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in

> Tom,
>
> At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty
> contract only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered
> from the small business side as it appeared overall to be a better
> deal. I'm supposed to pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent
> for me.
>
> I'd go for it.

Thanks Stew,

Could you please clarify the tax issue for me. My last Dell computer (my
laptop) purchase was a less than two years ago. The subtotal was $2,020.00
and the tax came to only $25.52. Just yesterday, I ordered a new battery
from Dell, and there was no tax on it. This could possibly be an important
issue - my county just raised sales tax to 9.75%.

--

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty
>> contract only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered
>> from the small business side as it appeared overall to be a better
>> deal. I'm supposed to pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent
>> for me.
>>
>> I'd go for it.
>
> Thanks Stew,
>
> Could you please clarify the tax issue for me. My last Dell computer (my
> laptop) purchase was a less than two years ago. The subtotal was
> $2,020.00
> and the tax came to only $25.52. Just yesterday, I ordered a new battery
> from Dell, and there was no tax on it. This could possibly be an
> important
> issue - my county just raised sales tax to 9.75%.
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> My PGP Page & FAQ: http://www.McCune.cc/PGP.htm

The policy was that small business systems were charged full sales tax
(system + warranty taxes) since Dell has a presence in all 50 states.

Systems bought on the home side were only charged tax on their service
warranty.

Some states were exceptions to this no doubt, but I don't know those
details. Further, I'm not positive that they still charge taxes in the same
manner as in the past.

Again, I've always bought from the small business side due to a generally
better price and HW/SW configurations that better meet my needs.

Stew

Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote in news:41A9243B.93EFE8B9@ddress.com:

> Another thing that a Small Business purchase will get you is the
> option of choosing Dell's Gold Tech Support... Shorter hold times
> and U.S. based support.

Thanks Notan,

I doubt I would go for it, but it is good to know.

--
Tom McCune

Where Dell has a "Dell Direct Store", usually a kiosk in a mall, they charge
sales tax in that state because they have a presence in that state.

Presently they are: CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, OR, PA, TN, and TX.

Since I live in PA, it's (almost) always cheaper for me to order from the
Small Business side.

Tom Almy <webmaster4@almy.us> wrote in news:cob8m702d72@enews2.newsguy.com:

> I've always ordered from Small Business (6 systems to date) and found no
> negatives. See my information page on the differences:
>
> http://almy.us/homevsbusiness.html

Tom,

Thank you very much. That is much useful information that I will be
reviewing again.

Any chance you can help point me to

"Also sign up on the Small Business site on the e-coupon mailing list and
watch discount sites for special e-coupons."

I was just looking for it, but couldn't find it.

--
Tom McCune

Tom McCune wrote:

> Any chance you can help point me to
>
> "Also sign up on the Small Business site on the e-coupon mailing list and
> watch discount sites for special e-coupons."
>
> I was just looking for it, but couldn't find it.

It's there under the title "Get Special Deals, Right to Your Inbox" on
the Dell Small Business home page.

This URL should work if you want to go there directly:

According to your web, some small business agents will not deal with
individuals. I have the authority to order for my department and I also want
to use a tax-excempt letter since I work for a non-profit organization.

Can I order a Latitude online then fax in the tax-excempt letter or must I
use a telephone agent?

"Ako" <ako@utopia.net> wrote in message
> According to your web, some small business agents will not deal with
> individuals. I have the authority to order for my department and I also
> want to use a tax-excempt letter since I work for a non-profit
> organization.
>
> Can I order a Latitude online then fax in the tax-excempt letter or must I
> use a telephone agent?

I'd use a telephone agent on this one. This way you can fax to that agent's
specific fax number and confirmation/receipt of the fax can be easily
determined.

I'm sure there's a way to do this with an online purchase, but I have
visions of a fax machine running *somewhere* at the end of a long hallway
and mistakes being made as to your exempt status.

Perhaps someone here knows of a sure-fire way to submit the form effectively
with an online purchase.

> It's there under the title "Get Special Deals, Right to Your Inbox" on
> the Dell Small Business home page.
>

> This URL should work if you want to go there directly:

> =en&s=bsd&source_id=200000

Thanks again. I don't know how I missed it before - it is right there
today. I signed up, but found it odd that only name and email address were
suppose to be required, but it also required a business name.

--
Tom McCune

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in

> The policy was that small business systems were charged full sales tax
> (system + warranty taxes) since Dell has a presence in all 50 states.
>
> Systems bought on the home side were only charged tax on their service
> warranty.
>
> Some states were exceptions to this no doubt, but I don't know those
> details. Further, I'm not positive that they still charge taxes in the
> same manner as in the past.
>
> Again, I've always bought from the small business side due to a
> generally better price and HW/SW configurations that better meet my
> needs.

Thanks Stew.

--
Tom McCune

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in

> Where Dell has a "Dell Direct Store", usually a kiosk in a mall, they
> charge sales tax in that state because they have a presence in that
> state.
>
> Presently they are: CA, FL, IL, KY, NC, NV, OH, OR, PA, TN, and TX.
>
> Since I live in PA, it's (almost) always cheaper for me to order from
> the Small Business side.

Thank you. That's good to not see NY in the list. Last summer, when in
NC, I was quite surprised to see the kiosk at a mall - I helped a relative
make his computer purchase there.

--
Tom McCune

Tom McCune wrote:
> Tom Almy <webmaster4@almy.us> wrote in
>

>>It's there under the title "Get Special Deals, Right to Your Inbox" on
>>the Dell Small Business home page.
>>

>>This URL should work if you want to go there directly:

>>=en&s=bsd&source_id=200000
>

> Thanks again. I don't know how I missed it before - it is right there
> today. I signed up, but found it odd that only name and email address were
> suppose to be required, but it also required a business name.

Your business name is "Tom McCune"

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Ako" <ako@utopia.net> wrote in message
>
>>According to your web, some small business agents will not deal with
>>individuals. I have the authority to order for my department and I also
>>want to use a tax-excempt letter since I work for a non-profit
>>organization.
>>
>>Can I order a Latitude online then fax in the tax-excempt letter or must I
>>use a telephone agent?
>>

> I'd use a telephone agent on this one. This way you can fax to that agent's
> specific fax number and confirmation/receipt of the fax can be easily
> determined.
>
> I'm sure there's a way to do this with an online purchase, but I have
> visions of a fax machine running *somewhere* at the end of a long hallway
> and mistakes being made as to your exempt status.
>
> Perhaps someone here knows of a sure-fire way to submit the form effectively
> with an online purchase.
>

> Stew

It is my understanding (based on threads with Dell employees on
forums.us.dell.com) that if you are tax exempt you have to order by
phone. However if you are tax exempt you should have no problems with
any Small Business agent since you have a real organization name.

Tom.
Where do you live? I want to be sure and not move there.
9.75% tax is legallized robbery!
Jerry

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 01:14:35 GMT, Tom McCune
<news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in
>
>> Tom,
>>
>> At one time there was a sales tax versus sales tax for the warranty
>> contract only (small business versus home). But, I've always ordered
>> from the small business side as it appeared overall to be a better
>> deal. I'm supposed to pay the tax anyway, so that wasn't a deterrent
>> for me.
>>
>> I'd go for it.
>
>Thanks Stew,
>
>Could you please clarify the tax issue for me. My last Dell computer (my
>laptop) purchase was a less than two years ago. The subtotal was $2,020.00
>and the tax came to only $25.52. Just yesterday, I ordered a new battery
>from Dell, and there was no tax on it. This could possibly be an important
>issue - my county just raised sales tax to 9.75%.

Once you get your tax-exempt status, it is then tied to your Customer Number
for future purchases.
I needed to make my first purchase via telephone to make sure all was well,
but ever since, I have made the purchases online.
Jerry