uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I know this isn't really specific to CPUs, but I wasn't sure which forum would be better; sorry if this is way off topic.

Here's the question. Is there any danger of putting your case on a carpeted floor for operation? I would think that once the case is plugged in, it is grounded, so there should not be a risk of static electricity. Am I wrong?

Im_gumby

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Nope. If your power is wired correctly, there are no static issues, EXCEPT if you are working on it, installing parts, etc... Then you need to make sure you are grounded as well before handling the components.

Lobbest thou thy Holy Hand-Grenade of Antioch...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Static electricity should not be a problem, but dust and carpet fuzz may be. ;)

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I love removable and washable filters on case air intakes! I've got a PC at work with a filter like that and it rocks. I just clean it every so often and I haven't seen any real dust buildup on the components yet.

Meanwhile, my other PC at work is a dust magnet! I even keep getting all of these little dead gnats in there. (Don't ask me where they come from though. I haven't seen any flying around anywhere.) It's horrible. I swear I have to clean that case every three months or so or else it starts to get unstable.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I want one with a removable filter... I haven't seen any before. Anyway, is there a site where you can buy a case with that without the power supply? I was looking for cases the other day and it was so hard to find one selling without a power supply. And if I went for a cheap power supply that I could swap out, it was also a cheap case. It would also be nice if they sold cases where you could select your specific case and select what power supply you wanted and they would put them together and ship it. Does anyone know of a site where they do this?

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I have a Lian-Li case with removeable filter. It's cool! After 8 months of not cleaning the inside of my case the cards doesn't have great dust build up. I would like to know how to remove the fans coz they catch some of the dust not filtered.