HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
I was wondering, what with AMD's announcement that it would not focus solely on the desktop processor market, how that affected Intel's roadmap for the next year.

This is something that has probably been covered, but if not, how long do you guys/gals think it will be before a 4 Ghz processor is released? (not that clock speed is the only important factor in a processor).

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1752" target="_new">Intel at Comdex</A>. The most important improvent to the Pentium4 will be a 800MHz QDR FSB, for both Northwood and Prescott. More focus on FSB, DualDDR and Hyperthreading in 2003. Less focus on clock speed compared to 2002. May have to wait for 2004 for a 4GHz pentium4. <A HREF="http://www.neoseeker.com/news/articles/headlines/Hardware/2066/" target="_new">Back in october 2002</A>, Intel stated that they expect the Prescott to scale to 5GHz and its' follow-up processor to scale to 6GHz.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

Piro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002
You would be referring to the Tejas as the sucessor to the Prescott?
But it's a pretty smart move of Intel's to focus less on clockspeed, and more on extra stuff such as the FSB, but that would also involve a higher amount of bandwith being needed, if they keep upping the FSB, or would that be just for show/optimum speeds for Yellowstone, either way, it'll gain even more on AMD now, unless AMD takes the bet, and releases even stronger Opteron's, as an answer, because if it fails, the company is most likely to go bankrupt, or being bought out...

Tech junkie.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Yellow stone will not use as DRAM for low level cheat the DDR market right now.

Opteron will be force to have a low ASP compare to others 64 bit cpu but having the same yield manufacturing cost i dont expect AMD to do a lot of money with opteron before 2004 like intel for IA-64 ligne.

Now what to do??