Diggger

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
This is only the 2nd puter I've built, but can I build the whole system an then upgrade the bios to run the xp 2400 chip? componets are: Abit kd7-raid, amd xp 2400, 256k of pc2700 ram, an other stuff. But the MB manual says the bios is good up to a XP 2200. Will the XP 2400 boot up? I would rather not turn my cpu into toast. Thanks from a newbee!!

Piro

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2002
I'm not a regular einstein on this subject either, but i don't think inserting a faster one than your mobo can handle will blow the cpu to shreds, the only thing that could fry is your mobo itself, but the thing most likely will just refuse to boot.

(i'm not responsible if you DO fry your cpu though, i'm not a guru either :))

Tech junkie.

Diggger

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Thanks Piro, but you may have misunderstood me, my MB will support the fastest of XP chips with the bios upgraded from Abits website. But is it a catch 22, cant upgrade bios with out a cpu an cant boot up system without a cpu? or will system boot up "safely" then I can upgrade bios to the correct system speed? I've toasted my own cookies before an try not to make realy stupid mistakes with regularity.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yeah, in the worst case, it just will drop to the 100Mhz FSB, or a lower multiplier, but you should be able to at least get into the bios with the higher AXP chip.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

RCPilot

Champion
I don't see why you can't upgrade the BIOS without the chip! I'd upgrade the BIOS & then go to building what you want after that. The BIOS will support the new chip, if & when it sees one in the socket, otherwise it's the same board it always was.

Skinny

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!