Low level invisibility foil

Hey all,

Would anyone here model an effective, low level alchemical-style foil to
invisibility?

I believe the book version of the spell mentions something about if you get
covered in mud/leaves/etc that they stay visible (the SRD heavily implies it
by saying anything you "pick up" becomes visible unless hidden in pockets,
etc.). So I'm picturing something fairly effective designed specifically
for this purpose.

A bag of ashes is cheap but maybe not weapons-grade. A standard splash
weapon (say an exploding alchemical paint bomb) -- what would you cost it
as? I suppose it should be less costly than tanglefoot -- since tanglefoot
does the same and also has other fairly powerful effects. On the other
hand, a tanglefoot needs a direct hit -- the paint could act as a splash
weapon (much more effective that way). Also, a big part of the "cost" of
the tanglefoot bag is its weight (4 lbs) -- the paint bomb is likely
lighter.

Here's my attempt:
*Paint bomb*: You can throw a paint bomb as a splash weapon. Treat this
attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet. Every
creature within 5 feet of the point where the acid hits is sufficiently
covered with paint to negate invisibility. Cost 20gp. Weight 1 lb.

And a cheap alternative (for peasant militia or improvisation):
*Bag of ashes/flour*: You can throw this item as an improvised weapon.
Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 5 feet.
A direct hit covers the target with enough ashes/flour as to negate
invisibility. Cost 1sp. Weight 1 lb.

How should these affect Mirror Image, Blur, etc.?

Spinner
3 answers Last reply
More about level invisibility foil

    Spinner wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Would anyone here model an effective, low level alchemical-style foil to
    > invisibility?
    >
    > And a cheap alternative (for peasant militia or improvisation):
    > *Bag of ashes/flour*: You can throw this item as an improvised weapon.
    > Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 5 feet.
    > A direct hit covers the target with enough ashes/flour as to negate
    > invisibility. Cost 1sp. Weight 1 lb.

    I'd think enough to make a difference would weigh considerably more
    than 1 lb. At least 5 I'd think.

    I could have sworn there was a passage about flour not working, as it
    just became invisible. I don't see it in the SRD though, so it must
    have been from an earlier edition or something.

    > How should these affect Mirror Image, Blur, etc.?

    Without looking them up, I don't think they would. Mirror Image is
    supposed to react to anything that hits the real one, isn't affected by
    area effects (other than dispel), and you have to do actual damage to
    get them to pop, so the bag etc, would just pass through harmlessly,
    and the immages rearrange, and you don't know which one wasn't real.
    Blur blurs your appearance IIRC, so you appear all fuzzy, I don't see
    that some flour or paint would affect that.

    - Justisaur

    Mark Blunden wrote:

    > One rule we've occasionally used is to provide a 50% chance
    > that any successful hit with a missile weapon leaves the
    > weaponstuck in place and visible. This allows pinpointing
    > of the creature's square, but doesn't negate the miss
    > chance.

    The only problem with that is that the vast majority of missile hits
    do *not* leave the weapon stuck in the target. Most successful hits,
    no matter their damage output, are glancing or non-serious blows.

    --
    Nik
    - remove vermin from email address to reply.

    Behold! for "Spinner" <bprentic@uwo.ca> spake unto the multitude thus:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >Would anyone here model an effective, low level alchemical-style foil to
    >invisibility?

    Foam Grenade. 2 lbs, 10gp. Press cap hard, shake vigorously for 1
    round (Std Action, no AoO) and throw. Range increment 10'.

    Covers a 10' radius with foam, which persists for 1d4 minutes.
    Anything walking through that area leaves footprints which reveal its
    location while therein. Anything caught in the splash must save v
    Reflex at DC 15 or drip foam which reveals its location for 2d4
    rounds, or until it takes a standard action to wipe it off. A direct
    hit (ranged touch) negates the save.

    For 25gp, a Glowing Foam Grenade. As above, but the foam glows dimly
    for the above duration (same alchemiy as a Sunrod) so it shows the
    target up in complete darkness too, and dimly illuminates its own
    squares.

    For 2 lbs and 10gp, Foam Sprayer. Think fire extinguisher: it takes
    cartridges as above, which allow the user fo spray a 15' cone each
    round for 1d3+1 rounds: Std action, no AoO. Std action with AoO to
    reload.

    Yes, I know I'm a week late. My PC''s power supply blew up.

    --
    Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

    D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Video Games