overclocking help

frailimbnursry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
Let me introduce myself, I am a newbie. With that said let me continue...

Today I was toying around in my BIOS and changed the CPU Voltage(?) number from 133 to 135 to see what would happen, and I rebooted and my P4 went from 2.26 Ghz to 2.29 Ghz. I thought to myself, it cannot be that easy. I've read something about VCORE but have no idea what i do with that number, currently it is 1.500. My questions is, how can i OC my CPU to run faster. Do i just adjust one number, or both of them? Right now it runs at around 32C. I hear a P4 should remain around 40C. I'd like to keep my CPU around there as i cannot afford better cooling, ro to burn out my CPU.

Any and all help is appreciated.

frailimbnursry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2002
I asked a friend of mine, he said gradually increase the frequency untill its unstable, go down a step increase VCore, then try again.

With this advice I continued to overclock. I would up the freq., boot, run Sandra Burn-In at High Priority to see if stable, reboot enter BIOS and check temperature (the Sandra was giving me 25C which wouldnt be true). I stopped when my 2.26 ran at 2.55. My frequency is at around 150 i think, I have yet found it unstable to require an up in VCore. My BIOS says the cpu is at 43C which seems acceptable, if any o this is wrong please let me know before i damage anything.