CPU Not Detected on ASUS MO BO

jwsplatjw

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
So this is a continuation of a thread I posted last week,"Thermal problems due to CPU Die irregularities".

I read all of the responses and there was one commonality between all of them, Intel P4 Northwood CPU will not fry itself. Based on the premise that the CPU was not dead I began my marathon of trouble shooting. After many different solutions were tried I happened uppon this, 1) turn off the PSU, 2) Unplug the PSU, 3) unplug the VGA cable from the video card, 4) Remove the video card, 5) Wait, the capacitors on the MoBo and Video card need to have lost the majority of their charge, about 60 sec is good enough 6) Reseat the Video card, 7) With the monitor turnned off, plug in the VGA cord, 8) Plug the power cord into the PSU, 9) Turn on the PSU, 10) Wait, allow the MoBo and Video cards to regain their charges and for any ripple in the supply current to be filtered out, again 60 sec is long enough, 11) Hit the power button. This convoluted procedure works. The PC starts up and runs almost without a problem, the new problem is that it reports "Floppy Drive not detected". This is not that big of a problem, unless you want to say update your MoBo BIOS to hopefully eliminate the bugs. So here is the 64,000 $ question "How can I update my ASUS MoBo BIOS WITHOUT using a floppy drive?"

RCPilot

Champion
Concur on the cable,

To update the BIOS use the ASUS Update. It's the only way to go. If you look here:http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/20021209/intel_845gepe-06.html
This was just posted & will answer your question about updating Bios with ASUS board.

Skinny

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
Please give the specifications of your power supply.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =