17 Lich Wizard Ucalaz (CR 19) 3.5 [Rogue's Gallery]

Well here's my first contribution. I started making him back in 3.0
days, and converted him later, but he should be all 3.5. Might be some
mistakes, there's a lot of data there. Still not sure what format we
want these in either, but this one's got just about everything to
fiddle with...

- Justisaur

Ucalaz, M Lich Old Human Wizard 17 CR 19; ECL 21; Size: M Type Undead
(Human, Humanoid); HD (17d12); hp 116; Init +6 (+2 Dex, +4 II); Spd
Walk 30'; AC 37 (39), flatfooted 34 (36), touch 17 (5 nac, Robe +5, +2
Dex, +1 Ioun, +5 Ring, +4 Shield, +5 Amulet, +2 vs Good); Attack:
Paralyzing touch: +8/+3 (Touch, DC 29, Permanent) Vision: Darkvision
60'; AL: LE; Sv: Fort +11, Ref +11, Will +17; Str 11 (-6 Age, +6
Belt), Dex 15 (-6 Age, +6 Gloves), Con -, Int 30 (15 +4 level, +3 age,
+6 headband, +2 Lich), Wis 17 (+3 Age, +2 Lich), Cha 24 (+3 Age, +2
Lich, +6 Cloak).

Skills: Bluff +19, Concentration +26, Diplomacy +19, Knowledge
(Arcana) +32, Knowledge (Religion) +32, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft
+32, Spot +13, Hide +10, Move Silently +10, Search +11, Listen +5.

Feats: Chain Spell (+3lv, 18 targets), Craft Wondrous Item, Empower
Spell (+2 lv), Extend Spell (+1 lv, 2x), Improved Initiative (+4 init),
Persistent Spell (+4 lv, lasts 24h), Quicken Spell (+4lv), Scribe
Scroll, Spell Focus (Necromancy, +1 DC), Spell Penetration (+2 Caster
lv for SR), Spell Thematics (+1 DC to identify).

Special Abilities: Paralyzing Touch (Su). Fear Aura (Su, DC 29). Turn
Resistance +4. DR 15 bludgeoning/magic. Natural attack counts as magic.
Immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph effects (can polymorph self),
and mind-affecting effects (Ex). Immunity to poison, sleep effects,
paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, damage to its physical
ability scores, as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects, any
effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on
objects or is harmless). Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal
damage, ability drain, or energy drain. No need to breathe, eat, or
sleep.

Possessions: Pearl of Power 7th, Pearl of Power 8th, Darkskull
(unhallow -4 to turn, magic circle against good), Black Robe of the
Archmagi (+5 AC, SR 18, +4 saves, +2 vs SR), Blessed Book, Headband of
Intellect +6, Ioun Stone (+1 caster level), Ioun Stone (+1 AC from
insight), Belt of Strength +6, Gloves of Dexterity +6, Ring of
Protection +5 (AC), Amulet of Natural Armor +5, Cloak of Charisma +6,
Boots of Speed, Ring of Evasion, Rod (Maximization/Greater),
Phylactery.

Scrolls:
1st: Ray of Enfeeblement, Message, Negative Energy Ray, Expeditious
Retreat.
2nd: Mirror Image x3, See Invisibility x2, Eagles Splendor, Web
3rd: Dispel Magic x7, Displacement x2, Fly x7, Haste x3, Phantom Steed.
4th: Charm Monster x3, Dimension Door x2, Dimensional Anchor x7,
Enervation x7, Stone Shape.
5th: Animate Dead, Baleful Polymorph, Contact Other Plane, Hold Monster
x3, Magic Jar x2, Teleport x4, Wall of Force x2
7th: Banishment x3, Prismatic Spray x3
8th: Summon Monster VIII x3.
9th: Time Stop, Prismatic Sphere, Summon Monster IX x2

Spells: Wizard: (14 /7 /7 /6 /6 /6 /6 /4 /3 /2) DC 20+ spell lv +1
necromancy, Cast at 18th lv, +2 vs SR.
0-Acid Splash, Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Magic, Detect
Poison, Disrupt Undead, Electric Jolt, Flare, Ghost Sound, Horizikaul's
Cough, Launch Bolt, Light, Mage Hand, Mending, Open/Close,
Prestidigitation, Ray of Frost, Read Magic, Repair Minor Damage,
Resistance, Silent Portal

1-Alarm, Cause Fear, Charm Person, Expeditious Retreat, Know
Protections, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Message, Mount, Negative Energy
Ray, Ray of Enfeeblement, Shield, Summon Monster I, True Strike, Unseen
Servant

2-Command Undead, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, Mirror Image,
Protection from Arrows, See Invisibility, Summon Swarm, Web

3-Create Crawling Claw, Dispel Magic, Displacement, Fireball, Fly,
Haste, Phantom Steed, Reverse Arrows (MaoF), Vampiric Touch

4-Charm Monster, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Enervation, Locate
Creature, Polymorph, Scrying, Stone shape, Stoneskin, Summon Monster IV

5-Animate Dead, Baleful Polymorph, Contact Other Plane, Energy Buffer
(TaB), Fabricate, Hold Monster, Magic Jar, Permanency, Prying Eyes,
Summon Monster V, Teleport, Wall of Force

6-Create Undead, Circle of Death, Contingency, Control Weather, Globe
of Invulnerability, Guards and Wards, Legend Lore, Summon Monster VI

7-Banishment, Control Undead, Energy Immunity (TaB), Finger of Death,
Greater Ironguard (MaoF), Prismatic Spray, Spell Turning, Summon
Monster VII, Awaken Undead

8-Create Greater Undead, Horrid Wilting, Mind Blank, Polymorph Any
Object, Protection from Spells, Summon Monster VIII,

9-Gate, Prismatic Sphere, Shapechange, Summon Monster IX, Time Stop,
Wail of the Banshee

Familiar: Herme, Male Rat Magical Beast1 CR 1/8; Size: T Type MAGICAL
BEAST; HD (1d10); hp 58; Init +2 (+2 Dex,); Spd Walk 15', Climb 15'; AC
27 (flatfooted 27, touch 18,), *Bite +12 0'/BPS (1d3-4 20/x2 Primary T
) or ; SA: Empathic Link, Improved Evasion (Ex), Master can Scry,
Scent(Ex), Share Spells, Speak with animals of its type, Speak with
master, Touch; Vision: Low-light, Normal AL: LE; Sv: Fort +5, Ref +7,
Will +11; Str 2, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 2

Skills: Bluff +16, Concentration +23, Diplomacy +16, Knowledge
(Arcana) +29, Knowledge (Religion) +29, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft
+29, Spot +13, Hide +7, Move Silently +7, Search +11, Listen +3.

Memorized Spells:

1st Cast: Unseen Servant 18h. Memorized: Magic Missile, Know
Protections, True Strike, Charm Person, Expeditious Retreat, Negative
Energy Ray.

2nd Cast: Protection from Arrows (DR 10/not-ranged) 100 hp, 18h.
Memorized: Mirror Image (d4+5) 18m, See Invisibility, Command Undead,
Summon Swarm, Web

3rd Cast: Phantom Steed (AC 18, 24hp, 240' fly) 18h; Memorized:
Displacement (50% miss chance) 18r (last spell cast), Haste (+1AC,
+1Ref, +30' move, extra attack with full attack) 18r, Fly (60')
18m, Vampiric Touch, Fireball, Reverse Arrows (DR10/not-ranged -
returns arrow if DR stopped) 100 hp 180m.

4th Memorized: Stoneskin (DR10/adamantine) 150hp 180m, Dimensional
Anchor, Charm Monster, Scrying, Enervation, Chained ray of
enfeeblement.

5th Cast: Persistent Shield (+4AC, absorbs MM) 24h, Energy Buffer (15d6
energy absorbed) 24h/1r. Memorized: Teleport, Empowered Fireball,
Summon Monster V, Wall of Force

6th Cast: Contingency teleport when damaged or affected by hostile
magic 18d, Memorized: Globe of Invulnerability, Empowered Enervation,
Circle of Death, Summon Monster VI, Quickened Dispel Magic

7th Memorized: Spell Turning (d4+6 levels) 180m, Greater Ironguard (+2
metal ignored) 18r, Chained Enervation, Prismatic Spray.

8th Memorized: Protection from Spells (+8 save) 180m, Quickened
Enervation, Summon Monster VIII.

9th Memorized: Shapechange 180m, Wail of the Banshee.

560k gp items.

Tactics: If facing humanoids will attempt to use diplomacy, then charm
(or command if undead) & turn on his fear aura, then disable (chained
ray of enfeeblement, wall of force, dispel protections that prevent
charm, paralyze with melee attack), and will try to find a secure high
ground from which to defend with his phantom steed. If at this point
he still has targets and hasn't disabled them all & hasn't been hit
or affected (which will cause his contingency to teleport him to his
lair) he will cast Shapechange (shared with his familiar) and turn into
a Vampire spawn and attempt to dominate everyone. (Vampire Spawn
changes: AC 35, Str 22, DR 5/silver, Fast Heal 2, Loose Turn Resistance
4, Dominate Person at 30' range). If for some reason he is unable to
affect people he will turn into a Choker & start casting combat spells
from his highest lv. Down. If this doesn't work, and direct combat
might appear more viable he turns into a Pit Fiend (Pit Fiend Changes-
Str 45, Dex 35, Con 27, Fort 19, Ref 21, Init +16, AC 55, Attack: claw
+25 (2d8+17)/Full Attack: 2 Claws +24 (2d8+17), 2 Wing Slaps +19
(2d6+8), Bite +19 (4d6+8 poison & disease), Tail Slap +19 (2d8+8).
Special Attacks: Improved Grab (w/tail slap): +31 (2d8+34 constrict),
Fear Aura 20'r (DC 26, CL 18), Poison (DC 27 d6con/death). Special
abilities: DR 15 & Regen 5/good or silver, immune to fire, resist acid
& cold 10, See in darkness, SR 32, Telepath 100') If he makes a
knowledge or spellcraft check that lets him find a weakness in a
particular opponent he will instead turn into something that will
exploit that weakness.

"suicide lich" Once he is injured or affected by hostile magic his
contingency teleport will go off, and he will appear at his lair. He
will then first cast Shapechange, change to a choker & cast:
R1: Reverse Arrows & Stoneskin
R2: Spell Turning & Protection from Spells
R3-10: Taking all his items off with the exception of his orange ioun
stone
R11: Greater Ironguard (15r left when teleport) & Mirror Image (15r)
R12: Displacement(16r) & Haste(16r)
R13: Fly (17r)& Remove Orange Ioun Stone
R14: Turn into a Hound Archon & teleport back to an advantageous spot
near where he was when injured.
R15: After he appears he will turn into a choker & start casting his
attack spells from the top down, trying to take out whoever injured him
first. If he is unable to find them, he will turn into an invisible
stalker and find them ASAP. If spells aren't working, he will turn
into a Pit Fiend Devil and try hand to hand combat. If injured much he
will turn into a Kolyarut Inevitable and attempt to vampiric touch to
gain hp. If his opponents are protected from draining somehow, he will
instead turn into a 12 headed Pryo-Hydra and attack while
fast-healing. If he is taking more damage/effects from spells he will
turn into an Iron Golem for it's immunity. If he becomes very badly
hurt he will turn into a Leonal Guardinal and 'lay on hands' for
all the damage he has taken. If confronted with anti-magic he will try
to remove himself from it, turn into a Cloud Giant and proceed to hurl
rocks (or anything else handy). He will fight to the death with this
tactic, knowing he can reform his body, and try again later.

If for some reason his contingency fails or he is attacked in his lair
he will fight as above, but begin casting defensive spells as seems
appropriate, most likely in reverse order of what he would for prepping
to "suicide lich" but his familiar will turn into a beholder and
attempt to lock down spellcasters with it's anti-magic cone, while
firing off disintegrate & finger of death, & either healing it's
master with inflict wounds if he's in his normal shape, or attempting
to charm monster on likely targets. If it or it's master is badly
injured it will turn into a Leonal Guardinal and 'lay on hands' for
as much healing as it can. If Ucalaz becomes badly injured he will
attempt to flee, Either teleporting to his lair, or another far away
location if in his lair, or turning into an Ghaele Eladrin for it's
fast flight & incorporealness if he isn't able to teleport.

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well here's my first contribution. I started making him back in 3.0
> days, and converted him later, but he should be all 3.5. Might be some
> mistakes, there's a lot of data there. Still not sure what format we
> want these in either, but this one's got just about everything to
> fiddle with...

As a suggestion, put [Rogues Gallery] (or [Rogue's] or even [RG] --
we should probably pick *one*) at the beginning of the subject line.
Makes it easier to spot.

And *damn* that is one scary kitty.

Keith

Keith Davies wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well here's my first contribution. I started making him back in 3.0
> > days, and converted him later, but he should be all 3.5. Might be some
> > mistakes, there's a lot of data there. Still not sure what format we
> > want these in either, but this one's got just about everything to
> > fiddle with...
>
> As a suggestion, put [Rogues Gallery] (or [Rogue's] or even [RG] --
> we should probably pick *one*) at the beginning of the subject line.
> Makes it easier to spot.

It will be easier to find and remember by [Rogue's Gallery], people
unfamiliar with it can find it as well since that was the name of the
old NPC book by TSR. Not sure if [Rogues Gallery] with no apostrophe'
might be better though...

> And *damn* that is one scary kitty.

Of note is that he has 2x Standard NPC gear for his ECL (based that off
of the fact liches have 2x standard treasure, a bit over the top, but
this was a campain driving NPC, with plenty of time to have collected
or made it) so he's probably a bit more than CR 19. I'm not sure what
you would call his CR as I never got to use him in direct combat.

I forgot to detail his lair there too. It's an L shaped chamber
barried deep in a mountain far from his normal area of operation.

like so (side view):

|-----|
| |
|---|~|
| |
---

>From the left the first 5 feet is an area with a telport circle (non
magical, just design that's easy to remember) with alarm and a wail of
the banshee trap. The rest of the chamber is covered in a dimentional
anchor. The next 10 feet is a reverse protection from evil holding a
pit fiend. If passed it will allow the pit fiend to attack, or if
anyone attacks the pit fiend of course. The dogleg is filled with
strength acid that does 15 damage a round, with adamantine plating on
the walls, and an adamantine waterproof chest bolted to the floor with
a DC 40 lock with wizard lock on it, inside, his phylactery. Of course
one could use him with his phylactery on as the standard liches are,
which in hindsight probably would have been better.

One other thing to mention is that he was using the pit fiend he called
to create undead for free, so he had a Mohrg lieutenant, a cadre of
Vampires, and a ton of Mummys. He originally started with awakened
skeletons, with wight seargents. They weren't very effective, and they
were difficult to cajole, so he later switched to mummys which were
very effective, and easer to reason with (being lawful).

Unfortunately the party was able to find his lair, get there with a
miracle, keep the lich from porting in (I have slow teleports, you can
dispell them as they are appearing, and send the teleporter back to
where he started the teleport from) defeat the pit fiend, get the
chest, teleport to the cleric's temple which had a forbiddance on it
(so the lich couldn't get in), while they opened the chest and
destroyed his phylactery. So they never confronted the lich directly.

Keith Davies wrote:
> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> They got full XP, I hope. Being able to avoid the lich under those
> circumstances warrants it, I think.

Yes, of course. I also gave them xp for the pit fiend & traps
seperately, as well as a story award.

I'm not sure on the protocol for called creatures and XP. Summoned is
no xp, but called, and placed seperately seems more like a minion which
you normally get xp for.

And to continue on that tangent... Do you get xp for defeating
someone's mount?

- Justisaur.

Spinner wrote:

> >> Of note is that he has 2x Standard NPC gear for his ECL (based that
> >> off of the fact liches have 2x standard treasure, a bit over the top,
> >> but this was a campain driving NPC, with plenty of time to have
> >> collected or made it) so he's probably a bit more than CR 19. I'm not
> >> sure what you would call his CR as I never got to use him in direct
> >> combat.
> >
> > Probably about +1. If you'd had two liches at that level it would have
> > been +2, after all... while this guy did have twice the gear, he still
> > had only one body to use it.
> >
> Man! Don't forget to give him +3 EL for Justisaur's intense evil DM
> planning. All those poly shapes, contingencies, optimizations, items,
> tactics ... This is one of the scariest creatures I've *ever* seen!

Thanks ];-}

And all for naught. (See my last reply to Keith)

> Or is this just standard evilness for you lot?

I put more time into this NPC than any other before or since. I think
I put more time into him than any PC I've ever played with the
exception of one wizard way back in original D&D & 1e days. I'm
usually a pretty seat of my pants DM.

The only reason I put so much into it, was I wanted to try planning out
a campain from the beginning to the end. Which actually worked fairly
well (limited resources were a bitch for the players though). He was a
(if not the) major player. He actually started out as a normal *ahem*
LN Wizard, The adviser to the king, and defender of the land. The land
was in a pretty bad state, with only a few people surviving a magical
appocolypse that killed 90% of the population, and tuned 90% of
everyone left into some terrible monster or another, which killed 90%
of those remaining. The monsters now roamed all lands, chaos ruled.
Only through this wizard who survived intact, and the self made king he
was backing was civilization brought back from the brink.

This is where the campain started. The PCs a few of the surviors (in
the case of the elves) or descendants of the survivors. During the
campain they actually worked for the wizard, as a special strike force.
They had some doubts about his methods though. He was nearing the end
of his natural life, and knew that civilization would fall without his
protection when he did so. So in pursuit of some method of extending
his life he had read of liches, and found the location of a long dead
lich emporer. (the magical apocalypse destroyed all the undead). He
had the PCs retrieve it for him, without telling them what it was.
(there was an anti-magic field around the place, and he would die if he
went in it, since he was using other magic to sustain himself past his
normal lifespan at this point). With it he was able to duplicate one
for himself and so become a lich. He believed the sacrifice was worth
it.

Unfortunately this pushed him over the line from LN to LE. He quickly
realized that the easiest and quickest way to protect civilization was
to create an army , and what's easier to use than all those thousands,
or millions of dead bodies from the apoccolypse and animate them. So
in secret he made his army, unfortunately the undead weren't quite so
easy to controll as he'd thought with just diplomacy, and things got
out of hand. He forced them to withdraw from the city after a
bloodbath, and started working out the kinks.

Pretty much that's everything that I'd planned from the beginning.

I'd left in the plot here the possibility that the PCs might continue
to serve him, but they just played along, voicing thier opinions that
what he was doing was wrong. But because he was too powerful to openly
defy, they didn't. Once they had the means to get his phylactery and
destroy him, they did.

I had a couple of dragons that were more powerful (at least in CR) in
the picture as well. One I've used before, and he had a bit of
detailing in 2e, and he fought at lv 25 demi-god PC to a draw. He
didn't get used though. And a green dragon that ruled the orc horde,
which was one thing the wizard here was worried about. The PCs easily
defeated the dragon though. I'll post the dragon here too, and if I
can find it the Human version of Ucalaz.

- Justisaur

Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

> Keith Davies wrote:
>> Justisaur <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Well here's my first contribution. I started making him back in 3.0
>> > days, and converted him later, but he should be all 3.5. Might be some
>> > mistakes, there's a lot of data there. Still not sure what format we
>> > want these in either, but this one's got just about everything to
>> > fiddle with...
>>
>> As a suggestion, put [Rogues Gallery] (or [Rogue's] or even [RG] --
>> we should probably pick *one*) at the beginning of the subject line.
>> Makes it easier to spot.
>>

> It will be easier to find and remember by [Rogue's Gallery], people
> unfamiliar with it can find it as well since that was the name of the
> old NPC book by TSR. Not sure if [Rogues Gallery] with no apostrophe'
> might be better though...

That makes sense. "RG" and "Rogue's" *are* both a little short for good
searching.

Let's go with 'Rogues Gallery' (it's a gallery of rogues, after all, and
I agree that not having punctuation in the middle is probably a good
idea).

>> And *damn* that is one scary kitty.
>
> Of note is that he has 2x Standard NPC gear for his ECL (based that
> off of the fact liches have 2x standard treasure, a bit over the top,
> but this was a campain driving NPC, with plenty of time to have
> collected or made it) so he's probably a bit more than CR 19. I'm not
> sure what you would call his CR as I never got to use him in direct
> combat.

Probably about +1. If you'd had two liches at that level it would have
been +2, after all... while this guy did have twice the gear, he still
had only one body to use it.

> I forgot to detail his lair there too. It's an L shaped chamber
> barried deep in a mountain far from his normal area of operation.

[snipped nasty place]

> Unfortunately the party was able to find his lair, get there with a
> miracle, keep the lich from porting in (I have slow teleports, you can
> dispell them as they are appearing, and send the teleporter back to
> where he started the teleport from) defeat the pit fiend, get the
> chest, teleport to the cleric's temple which had a forbiddance on it
> (so the lich couldn't get in), while they opened the chest and
> destroyed his phylactery. So they never confronted the lich directly.

Good for them!

They got full XP, I hope. Being able to avoid the lich under those
circumstances warrants it, I think.

Keith

Spinner

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002

Spinner <bprentic@uwo.ca> wrote:

>>> Of note is that he has 2x Standard NPC gear for his ECL (based that
>>> off of the fact liches have 2x standard treasure, a bit over the top,
>>> but this was a campain driving NPC, with plenty of time to have
>>> collected or made it) so he's probably a bit more than CR 19. I'm not
>>> sure what you would call his CR as I never got to use him in direct
>>> combat.
>>
>> Probably about +1. If you'd had two liches at that level it would have
>> been +2, after all... while this guy did have twice the gear, he still
>> had only one body to use it.
>>
> Man! Don't forget to give him +3 EL for Justisaur's intense evil DM
> planning. All those poly shapes, contingencies, optimizations, items,
> tactics ... This is one of the scariest creatures I've *ever* seen!
>
> Or is this just standard evilness for you lot?

Consider:

.. big badass lich with lots of time to plan and knowledge to work with
.. EL19. Consider what a 19th-level party should be able to do.

It's a rough match if he gets to run thing his way. Don't let him run
things his way.

Of course, if you *do* put him at a disadvantage, he will scamper. I
believe that was in the tactics section, in fact.

Keith

"Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote in news:1123552294.974639.184520@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

nitpick:

> Persistent Spell (+4 lv, lasts 24h),

Persistent is +6 levels in 3.5, so...

> 5th Cast: Persistent Shield (+4AC, absorbs MM) 24h

....actually requires a 7th-level slot.

Otherwise, very well-done, scary example of a good idea gone wrong.