CD and DVD not seen

spingo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
I'm running FIC VC31 mobo, P4, 30gig, 256meg on Windows 98SE. After uninstalling Power DVD the comp crashed. After reboot message appears Autoexec.bat renamed Autoexec.ide and Configsys renamed Config.ide and I cannot access either unit. Device Manager says I have the best drivers installed and the units are working properly, but in the Setting tab the 'current drive letter assignment' is blank and greyed out. Can anyone give me info to get these units up and running again

Try running System File Checker and see if the uninstall destroyed or damaged any system files.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

spingo

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2003
4ryan6 thanks for info--after running sis file checker and repairing files, wonder of wonders, I have both units up and running

theprofessional

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2002
How do I run the system file checker in Windows 98se. I am experiencing the same problem more or less, the cd-rom works like a champ on the Toshiba DVD-Rom (SD-M1712), but when I go to play a DVD, it states 'cann't find any cdrom/dvdrom device.' Please help.