Odd "select boot device" problem

kevorz

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
Okay, so i will start from the beginning. First of all my ram is oc'd to 1333 (it is that ocz scam ram that is rated at 1600 but is really only 1033 or w/e) and my processor was oc'd to 3.7 and everything was running fairly smooth with a rare occurrence of a crash. Anyways, I was minding my own business today when i left my room a couple of hours after i had just installed drivers for my axpcpro headphones and came back about 30 minutes later to see that my computer had crashed and rebooted and gave be the whole "select proper boot device" line. I click the restart button on my case and i get the same error. Here is where it gets weird, when i turn off the computer and turn it back on using the power button it boots up fine but gives me the option to repair because windows failed to boot up properly, but if i choose to start windows regularly it crashes and restarts mid boot-up and gives me "select proper boot device". i first decided to address this problem by setting all my clocks back to stock speeds which didnt help but when i booted after clearing cmos it boot into windows for about half an hour then crashed again. I tried this method again and it won't even go into windows anymore, it gives me a blue screen with this error STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA80040c4060 etc.
Also, when i enter bios after restarting my computer, bios does not recognize my hdd and when i highlight the sata port that the drive is supposed to be connected to and hit enter bios freezes up and wont let me navigate anywhere else but the blue ribbon animation on the top still moves. but again, after booting it up via the power button it recognizes the drive.
when i do the startup repair option when windows does decide to boot, then it takes me to a screen that gives me the option to repair, restore to an earlier point, something else, check ram, and open command prompt.

i don't have a spare copy of Windows 7 or a spare hdd lying around so that kind of limits my troubleshooting possibilities.

any little piece of advice you have to offer is much appreciated considering i have a final paper due on monday which is stuck on that computer (everyone i know has a macbook)

Solution
Hate to say this, but it sounds like you have a failing hard drive. The flaky drive detection, the failed boot attempts, and the blue screen all seem to be pointing that way.

kevorz

Distinguished
May 22, 2010
update: when i try to fix MBR in the console it says that the operation could not be completed because of an I/O device error or something along those lines

kevorz

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

yeah it is only 3 i dont know why i thought it was lifetime. Either way it is still under warranty.