Sign in with
Your question

wich one amd or intel....................

Last response: in CPUs
December 11, 2002 6:42:11 AM

which the best peformance in true clock now???
which the latest technologi now?
Which the cheaper now???
Which the easy overclocking now??
which the easy upgradable in the future???

Can you make a conclusion for me so i can't buy a new system to my brother.............................

Oh which the best in gaming, networking, stability, and multitasking.....

More about : wich amd intel

a c 159 à CPUs
a b å Intel
a b À AMD
December 11, 2002 8:30:50 AM

Intel is the winner overall. Amd is still the best bang for the buck. Socket 478 will survive at least another year. Amd will change to a new design with the opteron/amd 64 next year that will require a different motherboard. If Amd doesn't improve their yields, the new cpus won't have much of a price advantage over Intel. Choose your motherboard with care. Get the features you need for the long run.
December 11, 2002 8:41:40 AM

in the mid-range market up to xp 2000, amd still offers best bang for buck.when it comes to overclocking, intels can go further under relatively little cooling.however amds have the advantage of nforce 2 motherboards which are a more stable platform than any of the socket478 boards at the moment.the other advantage of these boards is that they will probably support barton, so a processor upgrade is possible, whereas there will be no NEW (i.e.generation change) processors for socket 478 beyond the HT 3.* ones.
so...for nforce 2, upgradability and value choose amd BUT for raw clock speed and overclockability go for intel.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
Related resources
December 11, 2002 10:58:09 AM

Ok one at a time.

which the best peformance in true clock now???

AMD. An athlon at 2.25gighz is faster than a P4 at 2.8gighz. Thats why the performerhertz rating system for AMD chips exist.

which the latest technologi now?

AMD with the T-Bred B Core Revision and the NForce 2 Chipset is the latest that is available.

Which the cheaper now?

AMD. Always has been and hopefully always will be.

Which the easy overclocking now??

Tough question. AMD is easier to overclock but you will get more megahertz out of a P4. But you also have to take into account that though you might get more megahertz out of a P4 you also get more performerhertz per a megahertz out of an AMD so it ends up pretty even in reality on overclockability. AMD Easier to overclock and about even on overclockability of the chips when you take into account performerhertz. Maybe the P4 is slightly better.

which the easy upgradable in the future?

AMD. All current boards should support Barton as well so you should have a longer life span than current P4 boards because the P4 is being massively redesigned very soon.

Oh which the best in gaming, networking, stability, and multitasking.

Again one at a time.

gaming=AMD

networking=NForce 2 Motherboard (AMD)

stability=Equal

EDIT: I should add that stability is more dependent on the motherboard quality than anything else. You get a crap motherboard and neither AMD or Intel will be stable no matter what.

multitasking=AMD. More effecient chip means it can do it more effeciently. You will notice a P4 will get slight slowdowns when it gets busy. Like it is moving through water.

Overall AMD is a WAY better choice than Intel.
Hope this helps.
AREA_51

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vk2amv on 12/11/02 09:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 11, 2002 12:08:30 PM

Quote:
however amds have the advantage of nforce 2 motherboards which are a more stable platform than any of the socket478 boards at the moment.

Say what? Do you have a link to back this up? Motherboards with Intel chipsets are *the* standard for stability, not to mention that the nForce 2 motherboards tested a couple months ago had horrible stability problems. The newer ones haven't been thoroughly tested, so I find your statement extremely suspect.

Ritesh
December 11, 2002 1:03:24 PM

yeah i think you're right
Aku pikir mungkin ada benarnya juga yach..
December 11, 2002 1:07:24 PM

i see -_- :]
December 11, 2002 1:12:58 PM

Thanks for that answer!!
I think i will go to amd prosessor [ a little ]
[If there is have a wrong language, please be understand it]
because my english language is bad..
December 11, 2002 2:21:58 PM

true.i don't know why i said 'stable'.my point was really a features one- i.e. the nforce 2 offers more in that respect than any of the intel-based chipsets- specifically with respect to dual channel ddr 400.sometimes i forget what i'm writing while i'm writing it.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
December 11, 2002 3:14:05 PM

Quote:
Motherboards with Intel chipsets are *the* standard for stability, not to mention that the nForce 2 motherboards tested a couple months ago had horrible stability problems.

The final nForce2 is 100% stable. Search the web and you will find zero issues with nForce2 chipset. Why you are taking prototype board and protype chipset stability seriously? Anybody is not going to buy a prototype mobo. It is very possible to have problem with prototype Intel chipset. We just don't know that, because they aren't used before final release. This was same for original nForce; we didn't know about prototype chipset performance and stability. We only found final nForce(1) as a chipset with great stability.

About "standards": If nVidia releases two more chipsets like nForce and nForce2, they will be surely the standard for making chipsets; from all point of view (stability, performance, features)

Quote:
The newer ones haven't been thoroughly tested, so I find your statement extremely suspect.

The problem with prototype boards were found easily. Now no problem of the shipping version of nForce2 has been found with extreme overclocking.

<i> I am again asking you, why you are so seroious with the stability of a prototype board? Because it's not from the "almighty" Intel? </i>

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>
December 11, 2002 3:52:15 PM

Try useing the Nforce2 boards in single channel, not so stable let me tell you that.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
December 11, 2002 4:09:13 PM

Yep.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
December 11, 2002 7:31:12 PM

Ok....a monkey wrench in this whole debate...

What effect does HT have in the scheme of this comparison? Will it make a difference in performance for the average user? How about IPC? Overclocking? Is this a sign of IPC comparisons to come, of equal footing on IPC, yet with advantagous speeds?

Quick!!! Whats the number for 911?
December 11, 2002 9:04:27 PM

Quote:
If nVidia releases two more chipsets

There is a magic word "If" present... and now we can begin... "what If... or no, what If Intel will not let them... or, because, what If..."

By the way, I am not even trying to be honest... from what I read from yer posts you sound like very stock up man with mindset: "My horse's teeth are the best, because they are in my horse's mouth, which I got for free with the purchase of the horse, for which I paid $2 less than anybody else, and I don't care that my horse has no legs, because it is still best bang for the buck".

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
December 11, 2002 9:12:54 PM

OK, I am not a nVidia fanboy. This is my fault. Otherwise I would say nVidia has done enough to be the ideal chipset manufacturer.

Let me clear my position, I HATE INTEL with lots of reasons to hate. It does not mean that I am an AMD fanboy. I like nVidia GPUs, but I am not a nVidia fanboy. I think Radeon 9500 Pro is a better buy than GF4 Ti4600.

Let us know <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"> What File compression format you use? </A>
December 11, 2002 9:59:20 PM

I’m sorry but that’s so lame "I Hate Intel cause they are a corporation out to make money, f@ck them and their money making ways f@ck them to hell. It so true AMD is the better company because they are cheap and they care about us, I heard once in a chat room that Sanders said he loved his children so he totally meant us. He he Sanders is so nice I bet you he gives money away just cause."

Take your opinions about a company else where man, it has no bearing on whether or not a CPU comes out or new technology is supported. All that matters is someone is making money to make newer CPU’s and new technologies to go with that.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
December 12, 2002 9:15:55 AM

I know that both Intel and AMD wants to make money. I always disliked Intel for overpricing their processors, but I really hate them after the day they have launched i845 SDR chipsets. In my country, 95% P4 systems are equipped with i845 + PC133 CL3 SDRAM. 3% is with PC600 RDRAM and 2% is with PC800 RDRAM. All of the P4's are Willamette. With the money people are buying here P4 Willy 1.6/1.7 GHz + PC133, they could buy Athlon XP 1700+ + PC2100 DDR. But they think AMD makes crap and Intel rules. They also think P3 Tually 1.2 GHz is inferior than P4 1.7 GHz w/SDRAM. The reason is simple- as Intel named this P4, it must be way better than P3. I think, more than 50% P4 sold worldwide are sold with i845 SDRAM. Now say, do I have enough reasons to hate Intel?

December 12, 2002 1:25:30 PM

<font color=red> yes! </font color=red>
:cool:
it's that true??
December 12, 2002 4:45:03 PM

No. You do have reasons to hate the retailers in your area, though. If the retailers in your area decided to only stock Yugos, would you hate the Yugo corporation or the retailers? The retailers of course...

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =
December 12, 2002 7:28:44 PM

It sounds to me like Intel did a bang up job of a marketing campaign over there. Is that bad that they did promote their product? And did they lie about their products?

In this case, I would have to say that its the people's faults for not being skeptical and asking enough questions, and just following the hype. And just because they offer the P4 with SDR, doesn't mean that you have to buy it.

Remember, the supply WILL follow the demand. You DEMAND it...they SUPPLY it. Demand better. (Democracy in action! Gotta love it!)

December 12, 2002 9:07:37 PM

Quote:
In this case, I would have to say that its the people's faults for not being skeptical and asking enough questions, and just following the hype. And just because they offer the P4 with SDR, doesn't mean that you have to buy it

How much does the average consumer know about the computer he/she buys? I would argue very little. They want a fast computer and they see big companies offering Pentium 4's (the 'fastest' out right now) and so they buy it. Intel knew what they were doing. They were selling a ton of crappy chipsets and crippled CPU's to people that were trying to buy a quality computer but didn't know better.

Actually it could be argued that it wasn't Intel's fault, but all the big computer resellers that are to blame. Well, if you could offer 2 Pentium 4 systems that were both rated at 1.7 GHz with the same amount of RAM and one was a few hundred more do you think that you could convince the average consumer that the few extra hundred was well spent? I doubt it. That is why they bought and sold so many crippled computers with SDRAM. It was a good move on Intel's part to make a lot more money, but it was also a dirty thing to do to its consumers. (That is why I have a P4 with SDRAM here at work. People at purchasing look at price much more than performance and hey, it is a P4, right? That has to be a good upgrade from the P3's everyone has now...)

No, I don't hate Intel, but I think that is a fair enough reason to dislike them. All the informed consumers weren't hurt much except that in some areas it was hard to find anything other than the crappy chipset with SDRAM.
December 12, 2002 10:05:10 PM

If Intel didn't make a SDRAM chipset for P4, was it possible for retailers to sell P4 w/ SDRAM? People like to buy Intel chipsets, they would hardly buy P4 + SiS 645 + SDRAM.

December 12, 2002 11:16:55 PM

The average buyer that buys computers at places like circuit city wouldn't know what you mean by chipset. Most people just know P4 better than P3. And of course Athlon is for buyers that are to cheap to pay for a pentium...

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"
December 13, 2002 12:58:22 AM

I would say hate the resellers that make it hard to find the hardware you want at affordable prices. In My opinion did your country the world get taken by the P4 SDRAM thing? Yes. However if the suppliers in your area had taken into acount Intel's nature as a company, some of there other fiascos over the past nine years, they probably would have seen this coming. But I have a really, really low, view of Intel to begin with. Last good chip for the market I worked that was made by them was the P166Mhz, way back in the day.
December 13, 2002 4:35:29 AM

<i>They want a fast computer and they see big companies offering Pentium 4's (the 'fastest' out right now) and so they buy it. Intel knew what they were doing. They were selling a ton of crappy chipsets and crippled CPU's to people that were trying to buy a quality computer but didn't know better. </i>

Ok, I will not deny that happened, but if you think back, it would seem that Intel didn't even want to put out an SDR solution for the P4, but that the DEMAND for an SDR solution was there, and Intel, like any company out to make a buck, SUPPLIED what was demanded. And where was this demand coming from? These people who wanted a CHEAP upgrade.

<i> Well, if you could offer 2 Pentium 4 systems that were both rated at 1.7 GHz with the same amount of RAM and one was a few hundred more do you think that you could convince the average consumer that the few extra hundred was well spent? I doubt it. </i>

Actually, I am a retail custom builder. I have to explain issues like this to people on a daily basis. I may not convince them to cough up the extra bucks every time, but I do make sure that they know what they are buying, and what their situation will most likely be when it comes time to upgrade again.

Is it my job as a retail agent to do this? No. Do I make the effort? Yes. What does this mean? It means that I can basically be a shepherd and lead these people around like a flock of sheep. And that is the problem with public today.

People are too willing to take what you say at face value. I guarantee that if you went to Best Buy, CompUSA, Computer City, Staples, or wherever, and took a good look at those pre-packed systems they sell, then went home and researched these systems, you WILL quickly learn the value of a custom system or even a DIY (If you study up enough to do it right).

Now whose fault is it that these people wanting a computer didn't do their howework? I can guarantee that most people won't just go out and buy a new car without investigating it first. The same applies with ANYTHING you buy. Investigate it or be ready to be taken for a sucker.

The major point being that since people aren't DEMANDING better components, and are willing to accept what comes prepacked, then of course, nobody will SUPPLY the better components. And of course we know that the heart of business is to sell what people are willing to buy, at the greatest profit.

December 13, 2002 8:03:11 AM

Quote:
Ok, I will not deny that happened, but if you think back, it would seem that Intel didn't even want to put out an SDR solution for the P4, but that the DEMAND for an SDR solution was there, and Intel, like any company out to make a buck, SUPPLIED what was demanded. And where was this demand coming from? These people who wanted a CHEAP upgrade.

People wanted a cheaper P4 solution, they did not specifically wanted SDRAM solution. Intel could have made i845 series DDR only. This would not hurt their sales, because 2-3 years ago, SDRAM price was equal to today's DDR price.

The people who bought P4 w/ SDRAM, aren't feeling that the are running slow. Because you need a 1 GHz P3 is enough to run all games. But soon they will realize that what they have bought.

December 13, 2002 8:23:14 AM

Neither.... Get a Via C3

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.
December 13, 2002 10:36:44 AM

<font color=purple>ehmmm... i want to know ??</font color=purple>
why the p3 prosessor price is higher than p4????
<font color=red>[in my country Indonesia", or other country too?? </font color=red>
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
December 13, 2002 10:40:43 AM

You said Via C3?
What the kind of this prosessor can you or other tell me about this?? :smile:
December 13, 2002 2:38:23 PM

Unfortunately, to get a cheaper Solution than DDR, logically, the only way to go was with the SDR platforms for the P4, and that is going to bite them hard, like you stated.

However, as I stated in my previous post, they didn't research what they were buying either, and thus did not realize that they are gonna pay the extra bucks to purchase a new mobo, when they could have payed a few bucks extra, and saved more in the long run.

But yet these people, while clueless, demanded something "Fast and Cheap", and well, you know what happened there....they demanded...it was supplied, at what will be a great cost to them in the long run.

As informed as you and I are, would you have purchased an SDR platform for the P4 (IF the p4 was your choice of processor, of course)? The answer probably would be no, as we both know that SDR was already on its way out the door while they were selling these SDR systems, and that SDR actually HURT the P4's performance. Not to mention the fact that to upgrade would definitely be a mobo change.

The really sad thing is that this information wasn't really that hard to obtain either. The question is about who is to blame. Is it the customer for buying it? or is it the reseller for selling them the product?

December 13, 2002 2:51:48 PM

All I can say about that worthless POS is that its only good for word processing or simply browsing the net....games?? Forget it...were talkign worse than AMD K6 speeds......

It's based on the Intel Socket 370 Platform.......has NO L2 cache.....and has AMD's 3D Now! Instruction Set.....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
December 14, 2002 2:00:42 AM

Sorry, I neglect to remember that sarcasm doesn't translate too well across the internet.

It doesn't matter what you get, they are all the same. Personally, I'd print out a dart board with randomly distrbuted AMD and Intel squares, but on a blindfold, and throw a dart at the dart board. What you hit is what you get (just don't spear the cat).

Then, once you've done that, come back here, and we'll help you decide on chipset and motherboard (something of which there might actually be a difference in).

This time, I am being quite serious.

-SammyBoy

Some day, THG-willing, I shall obtain the coveted "Old Hand" title.
December 14, 2002 8:02:45 AM

Then, once you've done that, come back here, and we'll help you decide on chipset and motherboard (something of which there might actually be a difference in)

Yes you can tell me...

My Friends use AMD 761 Chipset
I Want to Ask
There is a diferent from amd 760 to 760
Can you explain this...?

My Friend Memory using Samsung Chipset
and he do benchmark ini Sisoft Sandra and why he get only 1600 skor in memory benchmark????
Are Samsung is bad or the chipset amd 760 [abit]
December 14, 2002 1:24:07 PM

The memory bench score actually sounds about right, depending on what processor and ram he has. A DDR solution will get about 2000 in the memory bench, so it could be very logical that if it were SDR than it'd perform at about that (I can't test my 700mhz AThlon with PC133 Ram now, but I don't even want to see what the scores are). EDIT: Athlon's are never good at synthetic memory bandwith benchmarks, as they are usually more crippled due to RDRAM vs. DDR. However, this does not reflect on overall performance.
Oh, and here's some info. about the AMD760 chipset:
AMD-760™ Chipset
The AMD-760 chipset is a highly integrated system logic solution that delivers enhanced performance for the AMD Athlon and Duron processors. The AMD-760 chipset consists of the AMD-761™ system controller (Northbridge) and the AMD-766 peripheral bus controller (Southbridge). This high-performance desktop solution provides the following features:
Uniprocessor system design supporting AMD Athlon and AMD Duron Processors
A 200/266-MHz Athlon system bus, offering data transfer rates of up to 2.1 GB/s
A 200-MHz/266-MHz Double Data Rate (DDR) memory interface
AGP-4X interface
A 33-MHz, 32-bit PCI bus interface
EIDE storage interface supporting ATA-33, ATA-66, and ATA-100 modes

The 761 is just the northbridge, with the actual chipset name of 760.

That said, I'd really suggest and NForce2 mobo, as the AMD chipsets are fairly out of date now, and VIA's chipsets are still not the best. NForce2, along with 2 sticks of DDR2100 or 2700 RAM would be quite nice (heck, even 3000 or 3200 if you want to try overclocking). Just remember to get a CL2 stick, as it'll perform better than a CL2.5 or CL3 stick.

Hope you can understand that, and if you can't just ask a question and I'll clear it up.

You only die once, don't mess it up.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mac404 on 12/14/02 10:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 15, 2002 11:34:13 AM

hei,.... which is true [spitfire_x86 or mac404]??
December 15, 2002 10:32:43 PM

Quote:
hei,.... which is true [spitfire_x86 or mac404]??

Both are true. AMD 761 means AMD 761 northbridge only, but when you see a mobo saying AMD 761 chipset based, it is an AMD 761 + VIA southbridge combo based modo. A mobo that says it is AMD 760 based, that means it has AMD 761 + AMD 766 southbridge

!