Inspiron 7500 power on problem

Hoping someone can help.Suddenly this wont power on.When the switch is
pressed the lights come on fan spins etc but no video output,then it
switches off and on constantly by itself..
TIA
Mick
5 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 7500 power problem

    Mick,
    Happened to me once. These are the steps I went through. Unplugged the
    power cord and pulled out the battery, then pressed the power button. This
    is supposed to discharge the system. Plug in power cord and try again. In my
    case, same results. Next removed the floppie / DVD player and tried again,
    same results. Next removed the hard drive and tried again, same results.
    Next removed the RAM and tried again, BINGO! it booted up or at least went
    further. Replaced each item one at a time and made sure it booted up. Lastly
    I replaced the RAM memory and it .........booted up just fine. I would have
    bet that the RAM had to be the culprit. So this story has a happy ending and
    the laptop is still computing. :-) Hope your also works out well. Now you
    didn't say if this is a laptop or a desktop, but if it's a laptop you may
    want to check to make sure your power supply is putting out juice, it could
    be possible that your battery could be almost dead.
    Paul

    "Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message
    > Hoping someone can help.Suddenly this wont power on.When the switch is
    > pressed the lights come on fan spins etc but no video output,then it
    > switches off and on constantly by itself..
    > TIA
    > Mick

    Good troubleshooting steps, Paul, but you should be aware that an Inspiron
    is indeed a laptop. Also, due to its age, the battery should he the first
    item checked.
    If there is a flashing green / orange power indicator, your battery needs
    removed / replaced.

    "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > Mick,
    > Happened to me once. These are the steps I went through. Unplugged the
    > power cord and pulled out the battery, then pressed the power button. This
    > is supposed to discharge the system. Plug in power cord and try again. In
    > my case, same results. Next removed the floppie / DVD player and tried
    > again, same results. Next removed the hard drive and tried again, same
    > results. Next removed the RAM and tried again, BINGO! it booted up or at
    > least went further. Replaced each item one at a time and made sure it
    > booted up. Lastly I replaced the RAM memory and it .........booted up just
    > fine. I would have bet that the RAM had to be the culprit. So this story
    > has a happy ending and the laptop is still computing. :-) Hope your also
    > works out well. Now you didn't say if this is a laptop or a desktop, but
    > if it's a laptop you may want to check to make sure your power supply is
    > putting out juice, it could be possible that your battery could be almost
    > dead.
    > Paul
    >
    > "Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message
    >> Hoping someone can help.Suddenly this wont power on.When the switch is
    >> pressed the lights come on fan spins etc but no video output,then it
    >> switches off and on constantly by itself..
    >> TIA
    >> Mick

    Thanks for the help but its not the battery(tried without one),or the
    psu(tried another one)not the memory(swapped it)pulled the
    dvd/floppy,reseated the vid card,pulled the hdd,reckon it must be the cpu
    "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote in message
    > Good troubleshooting steps, Paul, but you should be aware that an Inspiron
    > is indeed a laptop. Also, due to its age, the battery should he the first
    > item checked.
    > If there is a flashing green / orange power indicator, your battery needs
    > removed / replaced.
    >
    > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > > Mick,
    > > Happened to me once. These are the steps I went through. Unplugged
    the
    > > power cord and pulled out the battery, then pressed the power button.
    This
    > > is supposed to discharge the system. Plug in power cord and try again.
    In
    > > my case, same results. Next removed the floppie / DVD player and tried
    > > again, same results. Next removed the hard drive and tried again, same
    > > results. Next removed the RAM and tried again, BINGO! it booted up or at
    > > least went further. Replaced each item one at a time and made sure it
    > > booted up. Lastly I replaced the RAM memory and it .........booted up
    just
    > > fine. I would have bet that the RAM had to be the culprit. So this story
    > > has a happy ending and the laptop is still computing. :-) Hope your also
    > > works out well. Now you didn't say if this is a laptop or a desktop, but
    > > if it's a laptop you may want to check to make sure your power supply is
    > > putting out juice, it could be possible that your battery could be
    almost
    > > dead.
    > > Paul
    > >
    > > "Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hoping someone can help.Suddenly this wont power on.When the switch is
    > >> pressed the lights come on fan spins etc but no video output,then it
    > >> switches off and on constantly by itself..
    > >> TIA
    > >> Mick

    Oh yes, forgot one thing:

    Underneath (like as in TAPED underneath) the palm rest section of a laptop
    keyboard (not the keyboard itself, but the surrounding lower area) is where
    the CMOS batteries are kept on some units. WHY they didn't use button cell
    technology, I'll never know. Instead, some units use multiple-cell
    rechargeable batteries that look like small round, sliced sections of a hot
    dog. When these batteries stop recharging, your motherboard's CMOS / BIOS
    settings go kaput, and -- well -- you *appear* to have one *sick* laptop.
    All KINDS of errors can result from this condition, and if your keyboard is
    3 years old or more, it's time to give them a check with the ol' volt meter.

    Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
    for rates and online chat

    - Are dog biscuits made from collie flour?

    > Thanks for the help but its not the battery(tried without one),or the
    > psu(tried another one)not the memory(swapped it)pulled the
    > dvd/floppy,reseated the vid card,pulled the hdd,reckon it must be the cpu
    > "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote in message
    >> Good troubleshooting steps, Paul, but you should be aware that an
    >> Inspiron
    >> is indeed a laptop. Also, due to its age, the battery should he the
    >> first
    >> item checked.
    >> If there is a flashing green / orange power indicator, your battery needs
    >> removed / replaced.
    >>
    >> "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> > Mick,
    >> > Happened to me once. These are the steps I went through. Unplugged
    > the
    >> > power cord and pulled out the battery, then pressed the power button.
    > This
    >> > is supposed to discharge the system. Plug in power cord and try again.
    > In
    >> > my case, same results. Next removed the floppie / DVD player and tried
    >> > again, same results. Next removed the hard drive and tried again, same
    >> > results. Next removed the RAM and tried again, BINGO! it booted up or
    >> > at
    >> > least went further. Replaced each item one at a time and made sure it
    >> > booted up. Lastly I replaced the RAM memory and it .........booted up
    > just
    >> > fine. I would have bet that the RAM had to be the culprit. So this
    >> > story
    >> > has a happy ending and the laptop is still computing. :-) Hope your
    >> > also
    >> > works out well. Now you didn't say if this is a laptop or a desktop,
    >> > but
    >> > if it's a laptop you may want to check to make sure your power supply
    >> > is
    >> > putting out juice, it could be possible that your battery could be
    > almost
    >> > dead.
    >> > Paul
    >> >
    >> > "Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message

    Dick,
    Stupid me, next time I'll read the subject line a little better. The
    computer I had the problem with was an Inspiron. Duh! Thanks for the
    correction. :-)
    Paul

    "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote in message
    > Good troubleshooting steps, Paul, but you should be aware that an Inspiron
    > is indeed a laptop. Also, due to its age, the battery should he the first
    > item checked.
    > If there is a flashing green / orange power indicator, your battery needs
    > removed / replaced.
    >
    > "Paul Schilter" <paulschilter@comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> Mick,
    >> Happened to me once. These are the steps I went through. Unplugged the
    >> power cord and pulled out the battery, then pressed the power button.
    >> This is supposed to discharge the system. Plug in power cord and try
    >> again. In my case, same results. Next removed the floppie / DVD player
    >> and tried again, same results. Next removed the hard drive and tried
    >> again, same results. Next removed the RAM and tried again, BINGO! it
    >> booted up or at least went further. Replaced each item one at a time and
    >> made sure it booted up. Lastly I replaced the RAM memory and it
    >> .........booted up just fine. I would have bet that the RAM had to be the
    >> culprit. So this story has a happy ending and the laptop is still
    >> computing. :-) Hope your also works out well. Now you didn't say if this
    >> is a laptop or a desktop, but if it's a laptop you may want to check to
    >> make sure your power supply is putting out juice, it could be possible
    >> that your battery could be almost dead.
    >> Paul
    >>
    >> "Mick" <mick@gotout.plus.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hoping someone can help.Suddenly this wont power on.When the switch is
    >>> pressed the lights come on fan spins etc but no video output,then it
    >>> switches off and on constantly by itself..
    >>> TIA
    >>> Mick

Dell Power Inspiron Computers