Sign in with
Your question

Micro-PGA Help Please

Last response: in CPUs
December 15, 2002 7:38:19 PM

Howdy people,

I was looking for some information regarding Mobile processors, namely Micro-PGA1, and the only information I have been able to find anywhere is on Tom's Hardware site at this link http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001107/mobilecpu-16...

Now I have a Laptop/Notebook that uses a Mobile Pentium II @ 366 MHz in a Micro-PGA1 form factor, and it is my understanding that there are a few Celeron processors in the Micro-PGA1 form factor, but they are limited in production.

What I have been trying to do is to see if it were possible to remove the CPU from the socket (it is a FoxConn socket, that looks identical to a FoxConn 495L socket, but that socket is for Micro-PGA2). I found a diagram of the socket on Intel's website for the Micro-PGA2 socket which shows a mechanism for unlocking the Socket so that the CPu can easily be removed.

On my socket I see no visible "Socket Actuator", and I have tried pulling the CPU out as well as trying to pry it out... no luck though :( 

I have gotten in contact with the manufacturer of the Notebook about removing the CPU, but have not gotten a response back at all. I was hoping that someone here would be able to help, or know if Micro-PGA1 sockets were removable at all?

From reading the article at Tom's Hardware site on Micro-PGA1 I am still unclear as to whether or not the CPU is removable.

Any and all help would be much appreciated :) 

Thank you
Archman

More about : micro pga

a b à CPUs
December 16, 2002 11:30:23 AM

Are you certain you don't have a mBGA (mico Ball Grid Array) CPU? Those are soldered on and have no socket!

The last mobile CPU I upgraded required you to push on the edge of the CPU and slide it backwards to release it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
December 16, 2002 2:26:27 PM

Crashman, thanks for the info, and this is what I got off of this page about Micro-PGA1(aka uPGA)

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001107/mobilecpu-16.h...

" The height advantage of the BGA-1 processor and the production advantage of a socket processor have been combined in the Micro-PGA1 processor.

The BGA processor is mounted on top of a small PCB with attached pins. The height of the mounted processor increases to ~3.5 mm plus 1.25mm for the pins"

Well I figured out how to remove the CPU, and it was the result of using a small flat head screw driver!

I found out that the cpu, has an arrow on one corner, and that directs which way the CPU has to be slid in to lock it in to the socket. The Micro-PGA1 (aka uPGA) CPU can be removed by sliding it in the opposite direction!

Now for my Next trick I will install a Celeron Micro-PGA1 (aka uPGA) 466 MHz cpu into the notebook. This should work as the notebook can sustain a Celeron 450 MHz, or even a Mobile Pentium III (except that the Mobile PIII cpus only come in Micro-PGA2 factor).

Wish me luck people :) 
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2002 3:00:36 PM

Yep, a slide in connection, just like the last one I worked on.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
!