Sandra CPU Performance Rating

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I was using Si Sandra and I noticed when I clicked on CPU & BIOS Information they have a Performance Rating for the CPU. I was wondering how they come about this number. Should that be the standard by which all CPUs, Intel or AMD, be rated?

BTW, I'm using a Gigabyte 8SG667 with a 2.53GHz P4 overclocked to 2.81GHz and Samsung PC3200 DDR. I'm getting a performance rating of 3092. Is this good?

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
errr i hope not!

Sandra uses its own rating system for calculating CPU/HDD/RAM performance, and has LITTLE relivence to real programs games or applications.
It is sorta useful for comparing like systems, p4 to p4 for example or overclocked states though.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I just thought that if Sandra's performance rating was comprehensive enough one could use it to compare Intels and AMDs. This way consumers wouldn't get confused by the whole numbering system AMD now uses, nor would they rely solely on the speed in MHz when deciding what platform to go with.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
mmhmmm. It would be nice in an ideal world wouldnt it?

But i dont like sandra, as its memory and hard drive benchmarks are of little practical value. The mem benchamrks basically show theoretical max mem bandwidth, and the HDD benchies are strongly effected by drive partitioning and fragmentation.

I think amd's numbering system isnt too bad, and is a good enough way to tell the techie-noob that mhz isnt everything.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>