Upgrading from Cyrix Media GX.

vinbie

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie to computer hardware and this is my first post in this forum.

My current PC runs on Cyrix 233 Mhz Media GX processor and Cyrix motherboard (Windows says AT / AT compatible). I don't know whether the motherboard is socket 5 or socket 7 type.

To do a low cost processor upgrade without changing the motherboard,
1. I want know the intel processors that are compatible with my current AT board.
2. Is any adapters required to fit intel processors to my existing cyrix motherboard.

I read from hardware articles that number of pins from processor changes with every new processor. I brought my PC in the Jan 1999. As the cyrix site is missing. I could'nt get any other infomation about my processor or about the motherboard.

Any help, information is appreciated.

Before upgrading, decide what you want to use the system for. Then check out the generic systems on pricewatch. The xp2100's go for about $300 shipped, and come with windows. I would check the second page of the selections for better video and more memory. There was a place in the midwest offering an xp2100 system with 512 megs of memory and 64 megs of video for only $327 shipped. I don't recommend upgrading your system. It's too old, and you will need to change almost everything, including the case.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IIRC the Cyrix Media GX was an INTEGRATED PROCESSOR, and cannot be replaced as it contains certain features of the chipset. In fact, it's probably soldered on. You'll at least have to replace your board.

I have a Gigabyte Slot1 AT form factor board I could sell you, it supports all 100MHz bus PIII and Celeron CPUs, but you wouldn't like the price.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS